Zakk...

Talk about Zakk Wylde here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

siro_angel
Mass Poster

Zakk...

Post by siro_angel »

I reckon hes alright but can be a bit too cocky and silly on his tunings.. good player in his own right but never the next randy as a few people has listed him as.

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Agree with that.
But think about this, he keeps the flame with Ozzy for more than 18 years now. It's hard to be on top of yourself all the time for such a long period. No one (not even Randy) would be able to do that. Still lots of respect for Zakk here.
I think the highlight Zakk period was in the "No rest for the wicked" period though.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Agree with that.
But think about this, he keeps the flame with Ozzy for more than 18 years now. It's hard to be on top of yourself all the time for such a long period. No one (not even Randy) would be able to do that. Still lots of respect for Zakk here.
I think the highlight Zakk period was in the "No rest for the wicked" period though.
I agree with ya there his peirod was No Rest For The Wicked.. but still! lol :P

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Yeah, Zakk is my favourite Ozzy guitarist since Randy. I don't mind Black Label Society, they've got some great songs, but to be honest I prefer Zakk's work with Ozzy. Technically as a guitarist he seems to shine more on Ozzy's recordings, especially No Rest for the Wicked and No More Tears, when Zakk had more input in those albums. With Ozzmosis and Down to Earth he seemed to be held back and didn't have much say on how the albums turned out. I can't wait for Ozzy's new album, I hear Zakk has had a major influence on the forthcoming release. I read that the writing was done more as a band situation rather than with outside songwriters, which pissed of Zakk with Down to Eath. Really excited about seeing Ozzy and BLS in London in a few months time, I just wish it was a full U.K. Tour.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I am with you Fozzy I enjoy Zakk's Ozzy work much more than BLS, I have seen BLS a few times and they have bored me everytime.
I think they are a bit self indulgent.
Only my oppinion though becauseI always liked Brad and Jake more than Zakk.

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Fozzy41 wrote:I prefer Zakk's work with Ozzy. Technically as a guitarist he seems to shine more on Ozzy's recordings
To me all the guitarplayers Ozzy worked with were at their best in Ozzy's band......
(or maybe we are just more Ozzy fans? :wink: )

Fozzy41 wrote:I hear Zakk has had a major influence on the forthcoming release. I read that the writing was done more as a band situation rather than with outside songwriters
Sounds very promising! :) Who is playing the bass now?
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I would love to hear Zakk slow down a bit... that old saying of the guy who can say as much with one note as others say in a thousand could be applied. Zakk definitely has the chops, now I'd like to hear him apply himself to the feel of the southern rockers he so admires.

Someone like Steve Gaines who had the chops and the feel - and also died far too young in a plane crash.

Zakk would do well, in my opinion, to study the playing of Steve Gaines and Dave Hlubek who could rip when appropriate, but also slow down when apprpriate.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

meh wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:Who is playing the bass now?
Rob "Blasko" Nicholson, from the Rob Zombie band.

siro_angel wrote:but never the next randy as a few people has listed him as.
Why judge him (why judge anyone at all?) for something that he has never claimed?

I like Zakk. I like Randy. I like them equally. Deal with it. ;)
The comparison is always going to come up though, when your gigging in a band which has had a tremendous guitarist like Randy. The other comparion that will come up is with him and Jake because those two are still alive and therefore, some would wonder, who would you want more?
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

meh wrote: Stop living in the past, and accept things for what they are. Your life will be brighter that way.
And that is? :lol:
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

How is preferring Jake or Randy to Zakk "living in the past"?

I prefer Zeppelin and Skynyrd to any new music released in this century. That doesn't mean I'm living in the past, it simply means that, in my opinion, nothing recorded in this century is as good as the stuff Zeppelin and Skynyrd recorded in the 1970's. When something comes along that I feel is as good, I'll like it equally.

It's all opinion, nothing more.

I do agree that when people say Jake was better than Zakk, blah, blah, blah... it gets a bit silly. Preferring on over the other is what is happening, one being better than the other is not.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

RockyRhoads wrote:How is preferring Jake or Randy to Zakk "living in the past"?

I prefer Zeppelin and Skynyrd to any new music released in this century. That doesn't mean I'm living in the past, it simply means that, in my opinion, nothing recorded in this century is as good as the stuff Zeppelin and Skynyrd recorded in the 1970's. When something comes along that I feel is as good, I'll like it equally.

It's all opinion, nothing more.

I do agree that when people say Jake was better than Zakk, blah, blah, blah... it gets a bit silly. Preferring on over the other is what is happening, one being better than the other is not.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.
I agree 100%
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Were would be without the past?

Randy had the privelegde and advantage to be the first......