Night Flight .

Music created by our members

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

ptate
Cool Member

Night Flight .

Post by ptate »

Well here is one that was written as a test for my "new" (used) Jackson Rhoads. I think it came out pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXfXT_2VeI

Cheers,

Pete :mrgreen:
Last edited by ptate on Tue May 11, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Night Flight .

Post by skezza »

Pete, you been multi layering again? :P

How many guitar layers on this track?
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Hey Joe,

You always need layers..... :lol:

There are five on there in total:

1. Harmonic sounding backing.
2. Smooth sounding simple solo pieces over the above.
3. Rock "picked" track (in the middle section).
4. Rock rhythm (basic distorted chords).
5. Lead over the rock (some interesting moves/stretches in that bit...!!).

Used the volume to change the tone on some of them too.

First time I've ever owned a skinny-necked "trem" guitar, so I'm quite happy with it.....

Take it easy..... 8)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I love the dolphin like sonar sounds you coaxed out of your axe. This is a great piece of music! Also it is something really quite different; nice work Pete!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Thanks very much Matt, that is praise indeed....... :D

I'm trying to create soundscapes with my music, rather than simply play something for the sake of it. In terms of production and sound development, Mike Olfield and Jeff Wayne influenced me a great deal with their seminal works and continual experimentation (probably the reason for my "layers" Joe :wink: ).

Recently written a piece called "Blue Days" as well, which uses five blues-based "mentors" of mine as guides, plus speeches etc. then creates a timeline through the last century. That was great fun to write, especially getting to blow my "blues harp" as well.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

You are welcome; you are thinking quite outside the box as they say. Great work; a very expressive and just great piece!

Simon Fielder (Just Take a Pebble) is also interested in the use of electric guitar in a serious idiom like this. I will have to give him a shout. Pete what do you like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E9w_Tin0Wo

His name is Roy and he is one of my favourite guitarists; to me as much as an influence as Randy, Bream, Django etc etc. He too writes and performs stuff that has an obvious influences of pop and rock but pushes things a little firther.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Hi Matt,

Roy's stuff sounds cool.

I think we all get stuck in a rut and need to explore other avenues and the way the guitar can be used as an expression of feeling, rather than just shred the hell out of it.

I'm a massive fan of the blues and, early on, that taught me to stop and let the silences "sing" as much as the notes.Don't get me wrong, shredding is fun, but I think there needs to be a balance of the artist's expression between "light" and "dark".