Diary Of A Madman arranged for Guitar Quintet

Music created by our members

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

Trust me Matt it is fantastic :) I was really in awe when i heard it!

Simon
Harry

Post by Harry »

That solo was incredible Matt. Very nice.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Cheers again everyone.

All the best

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Johnny Slave

Post by Johnny Slave »

that was really nice !

some of the wanking in there was a bit excessive (though executed nicely I might add)

but the solo was brilliant for sure

I wished you would have done the choir and string hamonies though as that was what I was kind of expecting since the thread was entitled "quartet"

keep up the good work M8 :)
Last edited by Johnny Slave on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
visit Johnny Slave [url=http://home.comcast.net/~vid_stor3/]here[/url]

See Video [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/JSlave000]here[/url]
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Johnny

Thanks for your input. A sincere critique is always appreciated! wanking!! :) LOL.

Johnny the only thing I don't understand is why the name of the thread (it is quintet not quartet) made you think it would have the choir and string parts?

hmm maybe the title on here is misleading...

On my myspace page I have named it 'Diary Fantasy' which in Classical terms means it is a 'reworking' of another piece...ie not an exact reproduction of the Diary Randy fans know and love.
Once you pay the copyright (when the album goes on sale) the piece although crediting the original writers/composers actually becomes an original work of your own as I understand it legally.

I hope the explains why it differs to what some people may expect.

Cheers and all the best

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Johnny Slave

Post by Johnny Slave »

Hey Matt'

what came to mind was "quartet" means (at least in my mind) that it would be arranged for 4 (four, ie: quar) parts
(and I believe quintet is five parts)

like a vocal quartet would have, Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Baritone

so with that in mind the arrangement would have that four part harmony

like for example the choir part at the end or in the interlude

you could overdub each voicing one at a time or just play diads to reduce the amount of tracks (but it might sound better one voice at a time so you could put the maximum feeling into each note)

when doing something like that though the mix (eg: the panning and type and amount of reverb) would be crutial to keep everything from turning to mud, you would want to simulate you actually being there (in other words no singer or instrument is in stereo when you are standing right there)

please keep in mind that none of this is/was meant to take away anything from your piece as it was very well done, just my 2 cents

myself personally I always prefer a "musicians" point of view Vs. "oh man you are God" when you know in your heart it's not true.. (well at least not totally ;-)

Peace :)
visit Johnny Slave [url=http://home.comcast.net/~vid_stor3/]here[/url]

See Video [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/JSlave000]here[/url]
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Johnny

Yes it is written for five guitars and not in a traditional SATB way.
Not all 5 guitars are always playing at the same time naturally.

I think I see what you mean now. You have read 'quartet/quintet' and thought of a SATB arrangement, ie- in the vocal and string sections...expecting an arrangement to be done of them (like on the album).

Although the entire piece has been scored now for five guitars, the piece in these sections is not following the original here.

The term quintet is used to describe the piece as a piece for five guitars not to describe the way those specific bits are harmonized.

I hope that explains things clearly.
Great advice and all taken on board!!

Cheers for your views
Mattxx