Anyone like punk at all?

Music created by our members

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

DayNah
Cool Member

Anyone like punk at all?

Post by DayNah »

We're compared to Bad Religion/Southern California punk...

You can check it out here:
www.myspace.com/hopepunk
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

I remember when Black Flag's album "Damage" and "Who's got the 10 1/2" came out. I enjoyed the raw energy and aggressive "in your face" attitude from those albums. Other than some Ramones and Sex Pistols (everyone's punk) Black Flag was the only punk music I really paid much attention to. Punk is 95% attitude and to give the genre a fair shake one could argue that The Ramones had just as much an impact on rock-n-roll as the Beatles and not be wrong.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

Yeah, I love Black Flag.......Damaged is amazing....
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I like the Sex Pistols but don't own any other stuff in our record/cd collection.

It is a genre I have a lot of affection for. There is a part of me that hates the ponceyness that the electric guitar took on from the 1980's. I like the spirit both punk and grunge have.

I think the idea of a rebellian against the way rock (a style of music that was and in my book is still meant to rebellious and not elaborate) lost it's raw edge and became self concsious was an important and much needed antidote in the 1970's and 1990's.

I know they are not punk but I am a BIG Nirvanna fan 8)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

I have to agree with you on that Matt. I was just thinking the same thing about the genre of real metal, not nu-metal, grindcore, extreme metal, death metal or all the other sub-metal genres, just plain METAL. I thought it was a goner, but it has become quite popular again lately. I suppose you could put it down to how things tend to cycle, but whatever it is I'm glad. This goes right back to the roots of rock-n-roll also and the fact that it is about rebellion and standing against the "norm" and when rock (along with all of its sub-genres) starts to become the "norm" then a revolution is on the horizon because it shouldn't settle for become so blah-se.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Matthew wrote:I like the Sex Pistols but don't own any other stuff in our record/cd collection.

It is a genre I have a lot of affection for. There is a part of me that hates the ponceyness that the electric guitar took on from the 1980's. I like the spirit both punk and grunge have.

I think the idea of a rebellian against the way rock (a style of music that was and in my book is still meant to rebellious and not elaborate) lost it's raw edge and became self concsious was an important and much needed antidote in the 1970's and 1990's.

I know they are not punk but I am a BIG Nirvanna fan 8)

Matt

It's kind of funny that the 30th anniversary reviews of Van Halen comment on how rock had gotten bloated and full of itself and VH were so refreshing because of the energy they brought to the music. Then by '85 rock (guitar music) had gotten bloated and full of itself again... seems to be a 7 or eight year cycle on guitar trends...

As for punk, I prefer bands influenced by the speed and angst of punk as opposed to punk itself - like the first two Iron Maiden records, for example.

I am a BIG Ramones fan, however and they created the genre.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i beg to differ. the genre was created by iggy and the stooges and the term 'punk' came from a critics review of their music.
Last edited by frank on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:As for punk, I prefer bands influenced by the speed and angst of punk as opposed to punk itself - like the first two Iron Maiden records, for example.

i beg to differ. the genre was created by iggy and the stooges and the term 'punk' came from a critics review of their music.
Oh, really? I guess you'd be old enough to know, huh?

I was basing my comment on the fact that the Sex Pistols, who are generally considered the kings of the initial punk movement, were influenced to do what they did by the Ramones. The Ramones formed in 1974, while the Stooges died out by 1975... I suppose you could say the Stooges music was punk, but I think it was just bad... the Ramones wrote catchy songs that have stood the test of time.

But, I'll not argue with you, Frank, you are older and wiser, so I'll go with "the Stooges invented the genre"... :roll:
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

mainly though, i was interested in messing with paul.
Last edited by frank on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Until Frank said that I didn't realise there was a clip. Great stuff Daynah!!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

It is quite interesting in any movement how spanners get thrown in the works.

A movement always seems to stick a finger up at the previous one. Even in western Classical music!

When you hear Shostakovich or Bartok you can just listen and smile at the difference between that and the previous phase of romantic music.

I think the most interesting stuff often comes at the beginning of a new reactionary phase and often the worst stuff comes at the end when it is almost a self parody.

I think shred in it's initial phase illustrates this. When you hear the first Malmsteen album or the excitement of Steve Vai playing Yankee Rose and then fast forward 7-8 years (like Paul said) to a style that has lost all direction.
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

frank wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:As for punk, I prefer bands influenced by the speed and angst of punk as opposed to punk itself - like the first two Iron Maiden records, for example.

Yeah I read that somewhere years back....But I think as far as punk music goes, The MC5 were the first? Your thoughts Frank?

PS:Thanks for the kind words everyone.....As far from Ozzy sound material as you can get, but Randy is the reason I play guitar....So there's some influence for sure....
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

The reason this site is my favourite site to post on is because intelligent conversations like this can be had and you learn more, have a laugh and most importantly people go out there way to be decent.

Matt 8)
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

Matthew wrote:The reason this site is my favourite site to post on is because intelligent conversations like this can be had and you learn more, have a laugh and most importantly people go out there way to be decent.

Matt 8)
QFT!

Honestly the only message board I've ever seen that has almost zero hostility.....Kudos board members!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.