Jake's relationship with Dana Strum...

Talk about Jake E Lee here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Jake's relationship with Dana Strum...

Post by whoopiecat »

Yet another reading from the Ozzy book by Garry Sharpe-Young. This time, pg 123, I'm quoting Dana Strum here:
"I was a bit worried that Jake would not have the songs or riffs to bring to the party, so myself, Jake and Ron Mancuso, (Mordern Design's guitarist), spent a few nights working things out. We put down what would later become three of the riffs for songs on the 'Bark At The Moon' album. It was a trip, but more than that, a way to secure Jake a gig and write some Ozzy stuff from afar. We actually swore Jake to secrecy. Jake was the right guy for the gig and we just wanted to give him the best shot, plus Ron and I still loved the music. Money? What money?"
Strum goes on to claim it was he who was responsible for the name change, from Jakey Lou Williams, as well.
I understand that you can't believe everything you read, but since the first time I read this book, I've wondered why Ozzy never asked Dana to join his band as a bass player or songwriter?
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: Jake's relationship with Dana Strum...

Post by sytharnia »

in don't blame me didn't dana say he was chosen as the bass player but was so busy trying to get ozzy to pick randy that he ended up losing the gig???.......sounds a bit far fetched to me, but i'm sure thats what he said
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Correct. Dana was Ozzy's first bass player on this side of the pond. He supposedly visited Oz daily at his hotel and did his best to make calls, connections, set up auditions, etc.
Apparently the folks at Jet were becoming concerned about Ozzy's bass player doing too good a job on the management side, so when it came time for work visas to the UK, only one was issued, and it was for Randy.
Dana was also allegedly present at the inpromptu BOO Band jam of Ozzy, Randy, Dana and Frankie Banali.
This is where the legend comes in of Frankie being the one who wrote the drum intro for OTM.
If anyone hasn't read this book yet, I can't reccomend it enough.
THE MOST info on solo Ozzy I've ever read in one place. I've yet to hear of anyone who has come forward to denounce the info within.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I thought Dana couldn't get a work permit or something or was that frankie?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

That is a really good book to get a hold of it's full of good facts and from loads of people who made up the early Ozzy line up. It was made up of interviews from more then 20 band members and associates of the band.
I think Ozzy did the dirty on Dana Strum and knowing he had Bob Daisley waiting back in the UK. It was one visa only for Randy and the rest is history. I'm sure i seen an interview and Dana talked in depth about this time in his career. Could he of been commited with his own band at the time ?.
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

I wouldn't say Ozzy did Dana dirty. In the music biz, when you have some one like Bob Daisley available and you pass on him, you just made a huge career blunder. Daisley was on a completely different level as a bass player and songwriter than Strum. Also much more on wavelength with the era's music styles. Ozzy made the right choice and anyone to have hard feelings over it is just silly.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

McLowery wrote:I wouldn't say Ozzy did Dana dirty. In the music biz, when you have some one like Bob Daisley available and you pass on him, you just made a huge career blunder. Daisley was on a completely different level as a bass player and songwriter than Strum. Also much more on wavelength with the era's music styles. Ozzy made the right choice and anyone to have hard feelings over it is just silly.
Well when you think what Ozzy was like after he had been sitting in a hotel for months getting wasted while other people went out of there way to help him out. Call it being used he did it with Lee, Bob and Dana. Lots of other people will see this in a different light but i cannot justify anyone who would fuck people around especialy when these people are part of your making. Randy when he decided to make the break what did he get a punch in the face. Dana was in his own band at the time and i'm sure he was just helping out.
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
McLowery wrote:I wouldn't say Ozzy did Dana dirty. In the music biz, when you have some one like Bob Daisley available and you pass on him, you just made a huge career blunder. Daisley was on a completely different level as a bass player and songwriter than Strum. Also much more on wavelength with the era's music styles. Ozzy made the right choice and anyone to have hard feelings over it is just silly.
Well when you think what Ozzy was like after he had been sitting in a hotel for months getting wasted while other people went out of there way to help him out. Call it being used he did it with Lee, Bob and Dana. Lots of other people will see this in a different light but i cannot justify anyone who would fuck people around especialy when these people are part of your making. Randy when he decided to make the break what did he get a punch in the face. Dana was in his own band at the time and i'm sure he was just helping out.
He definitely was able to eye above par talent(Dana Strum). I never thought about it but it does seem rather seedy. I often wonder if Ozzy was even capable of piecing The Blizzard of Ozz band together even in his own mind at the time.. Like you said, a lot of people put their time and effort into getting the guy back, fronting a rock band.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

So this book is really good? I haven't heard of it. What is it called and is it worth getting?