Brad's Gear

Talk about Brad Gillis here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

THE Gillis Girl

Brad's Gear

Post by THE Gillis Girl »

This is what I have so far from Brad about his gear:

The guitars I use are: Modified 1962 Red Strat with a built in Nady 702 wireless, original Floyd Rose, added 22nd fret, custom paint and a Hamer BG model backup guitar.

The strings and tunings I use are: SIT 10-50 strings and e-flat tuning for live.

My current rig setup consists of: Soldano Decatone 3 channel amp with delay pedal.
Barneylovesbeagle

Post by Barneylovesbeagle »

Brad also had alot of stickers on his Fender Strat and a Bill Laurence or Dimarzo pickup on the neck position.

I would recommend a Squier Fat Strat (affinity Series) in metallic red with a black pickguard

and Seymour Duncan Pickups
SH-6 duncan distortion or SH-14 custom 5 in the bridge and SHR-1 hot rails in the single slots for someone trying to find that Brad sound...

I love playing crazy ass fills like NIB and Sweet Leaf on Speak of the Devil
Go ahead and listen to Paranoid all three versions and here's my take
Iommi(Paranoid or Reunion)- has a cut in stone sound, really ingrained and hard lined but quick.

Rhoads(Tribute)- Vibrant, buzzy and fast but rehearsed and planned out.

GILLIS(Speak of the Devil)- throws the solo out the f-ing window takes both roads on it and t-bones the shit out of it and rips it up.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I love Brads playing imho he is the joint second best guitarist to play with Ozzy since Randy.
The joint best to be shared with Jake E Lee.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Barneylovesbeagle

Post by Barneylovesbeagle »

I always tell people that want to get into Ozzy or know what hes about to Listen to TWO albums his best to me

1. Tribute, Its the whole Blizzard live with Diary and Sab cuts
2. Speak of the Devil, its Sab so peopl can make the age old "oh he was the one to sing Iron Man....and then get a intro to the rest of the Sab cuts.

Tribute has a great had metal polish to it and is ELECTRIC!
Speak is bright takes on Sab tunes with the Whammy bar!

The Best Sounding (to me) Rythm section of OZZ- Rudy has that big bass sound and Tommy is INSANE!

(Yes Bob and Lee are creators of classis tunes but don't sound as bright and tight as these 2 above but you can here them also on 'No Bone Movies' and 'Goodbye to Romance')

Max Norman enough said!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

On his Hot Licks video, Brad goes into detail about his gear and shows how he modded that red strat, definitely worth watching.

Personally I think Brad was exceptional at covering the Sabbath tunes, but I didn't care for his take on Randy's stuff. Not to mention the keyboards drown him out a lot during that tour.

As for Rudy and Tommy being great and better than Bob and Lee, I think you need to check out the bootleg section of this site. The whole band was tighter and more energetic when Bob and Lee were there.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

i think Tommy was a better fit with Jake and Bob :)
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Stiltzkin wrote:i think Tommy was a better fit with Jake and Bob :)
That is by far the best post Randy line up Ozzy ever had, with Don as well, Don seemed to take a more background roll........that band always sounded amazing.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Stiltzkin

Re:

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:On his Hot Licks video, Brad goes into detail about his gear and shows how he modded that red strat, definitely worth watching.
never knew Brad had a Hot Licks video, but whaddya know ;) 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1EbgsDd8w