Speak of The Devil Album

Talk about Brad Gillis here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

demon
Cool Member

Speak of The Devil Album

Post by demon »

i have a bunch of questions about this but ill start with this one. Is it true that ozzy did the shows sittin on a throne reading the lyrics to the sabbath songs from a book?
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I have never heard that, from the phot's I have seen from the show he had no stage set and the venue was very small indeed.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

Trigger wrote:I have never heard that, from the phot's I have seen from the show he had no stage set and the venue was very small indeed.
thanks trigger. do u mind posting those pics if u get a chance?
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Trigger wrote:I have never heard that, from the phot's I have seen from the show he had no stage set and the venue was very small indeed.
This is something I've always been curious about, as far as I know I've never seen any photos from this show. The shots on the album weren't taken at the show as far as I know, but I could be wrong.
This album was recorded in September 1982 and I know Ozzy shaved his head baldthe month before, at the begining of August, so did he have a bald head, never seen any photos of Ozzy playing an indoor gig with a bald head, on the UK Tour a few months later his hair was very short but had just started coming back ( see photo)
I have read that Ozzy wore a wig at certain shows but not sure if he did at the Speak shows, any photos out there.
Attachments
Ozzy in 1982.jpg
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Ozzy onstage in December 1982, a few months after shaving his head completely bald.
Attachments
ozzy19823yt9.jpg
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I am going to hunt the photo's down, i had forgoten that I hadn't posted them into this thread. I am However, at long last uploading this show along with others for the additional audio section. I was on the phone to Joe earlier tonight arranging it :) The boot audio for the 'SOTD' album has different versions to some of the tracks that made the released album and the sound quality is pretty good as well :wink:
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Every time I see Ozzy with short hair, I shudder.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Gillis Rules

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Here are some Youtube videos of Brad Gillis playing during the Speak Of The Devil Tour. This would of been an awesome show to see for sure.

Over The Mountain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS78Q1T8 ... re=related

I Don’t Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNT4udw ... re=related

Suicide Solution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDf6UME ... re=related

Flying High Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23XQeLGN ... re=related
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

I remember reading that Ozzy had a book of Sabbath lyrics set up on a little lit table he would reference while rehearsing for the show, but, never heard of him sitting and reading during the actual shows.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Ozzy re-recorded the lyrics to some if not all the tracks later, so he might well have been reading them as he sang because with the benefit of re-records he had the time to tighten it up.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Just re listened to Speak of The Devil and it has reminded me I seldom put it on. I find Brad's over use of the whammy bar and his macho approach to Randy's music completely missing the point.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Thinking further on the subject. I think a lot of guitarists; famous and unknown, approach the music with the same muscle bound mind set. Jake E Lee in my opinion was different in this respect because he added a real finesse and style to the RR's solos, while making them his own too.

I think one of the most common flaws, in many of the RR Tribute guitarists in particular, is they use a very vibrato which Randy didn't have. He used a very unique vibrato and like everything he did, he used it carefully and tastefully, not on every opportunity.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt