Brad Gillis is Underrated!

Talk about Brad Gillis here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

pswallace

Brad Gillis is Underrated!

Post by pswallace »

I only saw Brad play once and it was with N.R. They did a great set. Brad is definitely an underrated artist. I have a friend named Andy LaRocque who is a guitar player and he talks about Brad. In fact Andy likes to use a trem flutter just like Brad.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Absoloutely agree, i dont think many could of done the job that Brad did. I think he really filled in for Randy in a time where the majority of people would of struggled!
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Re: Brad Gillis is Underrated!

Post by zmack mylde »

pswallace wrote:I only saw Brad play once and it was with N.R. They did a great set. Brad is definitely an underrated artist. I have a friend named Andy LaRocque who is a guitar player and he talks about Brad. In fact Andy likes to use a trem flutter just like Brad.

he did a good job as a temporary fill in. but ozzy did the right thing by not keeping him.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

zmack mylde wrote:

he did a good job as a temporary fill in. but ozzy did the right thing by not keeping him.
Ozzy didn't "keep" him, he had prior commitments with Night Ranger.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

zmack mylde wrote:but ozzy did the right thing by not keeping him.
why is that ?
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Stiltzkin wrote:
why is that ?
I don't think he played the songs that great on Speak Of The Devil...the way he did it was kind plain with no heart.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

i think he did a good job considering the circumstances. you got to have bottle and time and effort etc, to work on those songs like he did. and i think he did a nice job filling in :)
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

zmack mylde wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
why is that ?
I don't think he played the songs that great on Speak Of The Devil...the way he did it was kind plain with no heart.
"Kind of plain No heart" ???????? i don't think you have seen the Live DVD Speak of the Devil, Brad was cooking i seen him Live and i had no complaints.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote: why is that ?
"Kind of plain No heart" ???????? i don't think you have seen the Live DVD Speak of the Devil, Brad was cooking i seen him Live and i had no complaints.
brad plays great on that DVD, hard to believe he learnt those songs so quick. But his stage presence could have been better maybe? Im undecided whether or not i like the look of him on stage with ozzy :?
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote: why is that ?
Yeah you're right...his playing was pretty good,it could have got better if he played those songs more. I guess it's his stage presence that I had a problem with...he didn't really have a cool look with the afro and spandex.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I don't care for Brad's interpretation of Randy's material, but on the record of that name he kicks the hell out of those Sabbath numbers, especially Symptom of the Universe, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Never Say Die.

I hate Zakk's use of pinch harmonics, but Brad's use of the wang bar was a million times worse.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I think Brad Gillis is the reason that Jake wanted fixed bridge guitars. I remember he said in an interview that it was too easy to just grab the bar when you can't think of anything else to play.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I think Brad Gillis is the reason that Jake wanted fixed bridge guitars.
I don't know, Jake has always used non-trem guitars.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I think Brad Gillis is the reason that Jake wanted fixed bridge guitars.
I don't know, Jake has always used non-trem guitars.
I'm just going with comments he made back in his early Ozzy days about not wanting a Floyd because they were so cliche...