Brad Gillis is Underrated!

Talk about Brad Gillis here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I think Brad Gillis is the reason that Jake wanted fixed bridge guitars.
I don't know, Jake has always used non-trem guitars.
I'm just going with comments he made back in his early Ozzy days about not wanting a Floyd because they were so cliche...
I'm basing my statement on the fact that he used a
hardtail strat even before Ozzy :wink:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Then I'll revise my statement - because in the end I HAVE to be right :D

I think players like Brad Gillis are the reason Jake wanted to only play hardtail guitars.
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Re: Brad Gillis is Underrated!

Post by zmack mylde »

pswallace wrote:I only saw Brad play once and it was with N.R. They did a great set. Brad is definitely an underrated artist. I have a friend named Andy LaRocque who is a guitar player and he talks about Brad. In fact Andy likes to use a trem flutter just like Brad.

he is over rated
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

I read a pretty in-depth interview with Jake in the Guitar World issue dedicated to Randy (from March '06...I think).

Anyway, his choice of staying away from tremolos was something to the effect of "if you hand me a guitar with a whammy bar, you might as well glue it to my hand. If it's on there, I'll go crazy with it."

So, it's not that he particularly dislikes the trem, but he'd probably find himself going caveman on it constantly. You know, kinda like the dude in the guitar store that grabs the nearest Ibanez, plugs it up to the biggest stack he can find, and then proceeds to divebomb the hell out the guitar for 10 minutes straight. I love those guys.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
BUHZERKER

Post by BUHZERKER »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I think Brad Gillis is the reason that Jake wanted fixed bridge guitars.
I don't know, Jake has always used non-trem guitars.
I'm just going with comments he made back in his early Ozzy days about not wanting a Floyd because they were so cliche...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_gKE7Sa ... re=related

lol
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Jake also didn't like the tuning headaches with intonation nor the loss of sustain caused by tremolos. He also has said he could do whatever he needed without one so what was the point.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!