Brad Gillis on Speak Of The Devil

Talk about Brad Gillis here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

id say bernie torme is probobly more neglected
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

was the speak of the devil tour basically the same stage set and lineup as the diary tour?
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Mike541x wrote:Wow. They even used the Diary stage set. I wonder what they did with it after they were done with it?
That set evolved into the Bark at the Moon set also and wasn't replaced until the Ultimate Sin tour which was more like a VH stage set up, IMO. Big time lights and glitz.

BTW Does anyone know what amps Gillis used for the Ozzy gigs he did? Someone told me years ago that they were modded Boogies but I've never been able to find this out for sure.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

McLowery wrote:
Mike541x wrote:Wow. They even used the Diary stage set. I wonder what they did with it after they were done with it?
That set evolved into the Bark at the Moon set also and wasn't replaced until the Ultimate Sin tour which was more like a VH stage set up, IMO. Big time lights and glitz.

BTW Does anyone know what amps Gillis used for the Ozzy gigs he did? Someone told me years ago that they were modded Boogies but I've never been able to find this out for sure.
During the mid 1983 period David Bowie was using the lighting rig on his 'Serious Moonlight' tour which promoted David's 'Lets Dance' album.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
BUHZERKER

Post by BUHZERKER »

Stiltzkin wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:With Ozzy stage presence is important.
and Zakk Wylde has tons of it :D
Don't He Though... :twisted:

Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

BUHZERKER wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:With Ozzy stage presence is important.
and Zakk Wylde has tons of it :D
Don't He Though... :twisted:

Indeed he does :D
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

randy had stage precense? he said he was nervous to be talking in front of a group of reporters in an interview, i figure hed freak in a crowd of thousands. he seemed o.k. lol.
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

wareagle wrote:randy had stage precense? he said he was nervous to be talking in front of a group of reporters in an interview, i figure hed freak in a crowd of thousands. he seemed o.k. lol.
Randy understood very well the idea of playing a role and being in character when performing on stage. His QR years exposed him to LA's club scene and what was expected of the top bands around LA. Ozzy and Bob Daisley were veterans of going on huge tours that took a lot of energy and man hours of work to achieve. So Randy, IMO, fell naturally into place as a mega-rockstar with explosive stage presence.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Brad did fine job, in my book. But Randy was irreplaceable...as people tend to be.
Mikel
mxr82

Post by mxr82 »

Brad Gillis, the master of the Floyd!!!! I always hated how kids treated him when he joined Ozz's band in 82'. He was an awesome replacement guitarist and part of the new wave of van halen style guitarist!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Hi MXR

I will always have a soft spot for Brad because I just didn't see why he got so much negative attention, all I can put it down to was people comparing him to Randy! which is like comparing chalk and cheese.
Whipper
Cool Member

Re:

Post by Whipper »

siro_angel wrote:Dvd??

Where may I get such a dvd? :P

Simon
It appears to be no longer available, and apparently was only released in Brasil? The only 'legitimate' source I had come across was to buy a used one on Amazon.com for a mere $188. I downloaded a disk image of it that looked and sounded quite good. It was great to finally see the castle set in action, which I had only really seen photos of so far. And I have to agree that Brad seemed very much comfortable and pulled it off quite well.

I'm not sure if this is kosher to do here (feel free to edit my post if it isn't), but here's a link to get the full disk image of the DVD: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SCC9RARM There doesn't seem to be any other option now. The copies you see for sale here and there (usually around $15) are just homemade disks, probably burned from the same file. This link is actually to download the text file that contains the links to all 32 files that make up a multi-volume .iso archive. You can then use WinRar to extract the single .iso file that any decent burning software can burn a DVD from, or you can just mount it as a virtual volume on your computer with the appropriate software and watch it on your computer.
Ric

My96z

Re: Brad Gillis on Speak Of The Devil

Post by My96z »

Newb here!

Anyone know what pick-ups Brad used for his epic "crunch" tone on this album? Especially on Symptom of the Universe -blows me away everytime I hear it.

I heard he used a PJ Maxx humbucker but I cant find much on them and I think they are out of business...

Looking into alternatives, the closest I can find (to my ear) is the DiMarzio Crunchlab. Which I am thinking of picking up here soon. Anyone have any suggestions that might get me that Symptom of the Universe crunch in a pick-up? Going into a Ibanez RG.

Thanks!
randyrulz

Re: Brad Gillis on Speak Of The Devil

Post by randyrulz »

Just seen an advertisement that this is FINALLY being released on DVD!!! July 17th.........