Brad Gillis on Speak Of The Devil

Talk about Brad Gillis here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

The problem with Brad is he was lacking in the stage presence department. He kind of looks like a goof with that Afro. With Ozzy stage presence is important.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

zmack mylde wrote:With Ozzy stage presence is important.
and Zakk Wylde has tons of it :D
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Stiltzkin wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:With Ozzy stage presence is important.
and Zakk Wylde has tons of it :D

Zakk does have better stage presence than Gillis, but I'm not sure if he is a better player than Gillis....because we really didn't see what Gillis can do, he wasn't with Ozzy long enough.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

zmack mylde wrote:The problem with Brad is he was lacking in the stage presence department. He kind of looks like a goof with that Afro. With Ozzy stage presence is important.
What Afro ???
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:The problem with Brad is he was lacking in the stage presence department. He kind of looks like a goof with that Afro. With Ozzy stage presence is important.
What Afro ???
i was thinking the same thing :lol:
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Glad to know that we weren't the only ones. :lol:
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Brad Gillis is a very good guitarist but I did not think he fit Ozzy too well. The reason being is that Brad comes from the Eddie Van Halen school of guitar playing which relies on a lot of flash and guitar tricks. Brad did a lot of wang bar tricks. I think Ozzy sounds better with an old school type of guitarist who does not rely on flashy tricks. Notice all three of Ozzy's main guitarist all had fixed guitar bridges without a whammy bar.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

zmack mylde wrote:Brad Gillis is a very good guitarist but I did not think he fit Ozzy too well. The reason being is that Brad comes from the Eddie Van Halen school of guitar playing which relies on a lot of flash and guitar tricks. Brad did a lot of wang bar tricks. I think Ozzy sounds better with an old school type of guitarist who does not rely on flashy tricks. Notice all three of Ozzy's main guitarist all had fixed guitar bridges without a whammy bar.
Randy had a vintage tremelo on his Polka Dot Vee, and if i remember was having Grover Jackson develop a variation on the Floyd Rose. I believe it to be one of the first JT-6 Tremelo Systems however im sure someone can correct me on this!
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

skezza wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:Brad Gillis is a very good guitarist but I did not think he fit Ozzy too well. The reason being is that Brad comes from the Eddie Van Halen school of guitar playing which relies on a lot of flash and guitar tricks. Brad did a lot of wang bar tricks. I think Ozzy sounds better with an old school type of guitarist who does not rely on flashy tricks. Notice all three of Ozzy's main guitarist all had fixed guitar bridges without a whammy bar.
Randy had a vintage tremelo on his Polka Dot Vee, and if i remember was having Grover Jackson develop a variation on the Floyd Rose. I believe it to be one of the first JT-6 Tremelo Systems however im sure someone can correct me on this!
true but randy was not known for going to the whammy bar a lot. He mainly played his fixed bridge les paul.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

skezza wrote:and if i remember was having Grover Jackson develop a variation on the Floyd Rose.
That's new to me. I remember him saying in the John Stix interview that he was developping a few other Jackson guitars and one with a Floyd Rose as an experiment. (if I remember correctly :wink: )
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

The only sideman I recall with an afro was Noel Redding. Bass player for Jimi Hendrix:

Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Here's a group shot from Wembley December 1982. Gotta say Ozz, short hair and heavy eyeliner is a definate no no. Not sure if I posted these before.
Attachments
Ozzy's Band Dec'82.jpg
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

A good shot of Pete Way playing bass at Wembley '82.
Attachments
Ozzy. U.K. Tour. December 198.2 006.jpg
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

Wow. They even used the Diary stage set. I wonder what they did with it after they were done with it?
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Fozzy41 wrote:A good shot of Pete Way playing bass at Wembley '82.
I just noticed that you posted this a day before the 25th aniversary of Brads last show with Ozzy. The last show he played was in Liverpool on the 20th of December 1982 (Yesterday). he was without a doubt Ozzy most neglected and underated guitarist, it must have been a tough job filling in for Randy and all the nasty comments that went with the job (then & now).
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.