Randy's Zeus 840 amp is on EBAY til next Thursday

Buying & Selling (Ebay or Not)

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Looks like the guy canceled the bids, price back at 5K.
LOVEBANDITS

rr's stolen board

Post by LOVEBANDITS »

the rhoads family is aware of this auction!!! i have told seller item is stolen,but he won't post my questions on his auction page! this guy is gonne be in some big trouble!
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/LOVEBANDITSBAND
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I will fill members in asap. 8) Sit tight for now.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

here's a link about the seller of the zeus pedal on rip off report:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/4 ... 450518.htm
For Sale, cream w gold hardware 1985 Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar just like Randy Rhoads with case $1,800 obo. 1976 MXR Dist+ $150 70's MXR Stereo Chorus $150 call me if interested Romeo Rose 304-633-6734
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Cyranobob

The Zeus practice board - comments from Zeus' graphic artist

Post by Cyranobob »

hey, i was one of the guys who helped make that 'cheesy' thing, i.e. the practice board for Randy. i'm sure it's been thru hell since then. it may have been less than top-drawer for all I remember, but we (Jon Graves, Doc and me) put a lot of work into it and it was much appreciated at the time. I recall Ozzy complaining at one point about not being able to sleep with RR making noise on that thing in the next room all night. I was the graphic artist and made the nameplate by hand out of a sheet of brushed bronze. As some are saying, it probably did go back and forth for 'tweaking' at Zeus, and may even have been re-made or repaired at one point, but my memory's a bit hazy on all these little details. It was intended to be a practice-board, however, and I have no personal knowledge about what RR used onstage. I doubt this unit ever made it far out of a hotel room or back of a bus. And it sounded great, by the way.
Sometimes I'm glad just to be standing here.
The Flying Dutchman

Re: The Zeus practice board - comments from Zeus' graphic ar

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Cyranobob wrote:hey, i was one of the guys who helped make that 'cheesy' thing, i.e. the practice board for Randy. i'm sure it's been thru hell since then. it may have been less than top-drawer for all I remember, but we (Jon Graves, Doc and me) put a lot of work into it and it was much appreciated at the time. I recall Ozzy complaining at one point about not being able to sleep with RR making noise on that thing in the next room all night. I was the graphic artist and made the nameplate by hand out of a sheet of brushed bronze. As some are saying, it probably did go back and forth for 'tweaking' at Zeus, and may even have been re-made or repaired at one point, but my memory's a bit hazy on all these little details. It was intended to be a practice-board, however, and I have no personal knowledge about what RR used onstage. I doubt this unit ever made it far out of a hotel room or back of a bus. And it sounded great, by the way.
Thanks for filling in here! 8)
Can you remember any more specs about the Zeus?

(btw welcome aboard! :wink: )
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: The Zeus practice board - comments from Zeus' graphic ar

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Cyranobob wrote:hey, i was one of the guys who helped make that 'cheesy' thing, i.e. the practice board for Randy. i'm sure it's been thru hell since then. it may have been less than top-drawer for all I remember, but we (Jon Graves, Doc and me) put a lot of work into it and it was much appreciated at the time. I recall Ozzy complaining at one point about not being able to sleep with RR making noise on that thing in the next room all night. I was the graphic artist and made the nameplate by hand out of a sheet of brushed bronze. As some are saying, it probably did go back and forth for 'tweaking' at Zeus, and may even have been re-made or repaired at one point, but my memory's a bit hazy on all these little details. It was intended to be a practice-board, however, and I have no personal knowledge about what RR used onstage. I doubt this unit ever made it far out of a hotel room or back of a bus. And it sounded great, by the way.
Don't take notice of one man's opinion. Welcome to Ultimaterhoads; I wouldn't mind betting that given the attention it has recieved this last several weeks, if you were to make replica's Randy fans (most very obesessive LOL) would snap them up.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

No offense intended CyranoBob, but I find it interesting that you've come out of the woodwork after all these years to comment on this hot topic. In the past we've had hot topics about people such as Dre Forsyth and then, miraculously, he appears on our board... only to be proven a fake that someone posed as to back up their claims.

So, forgive me for doubting, but how is it that you came to post in our little world?
Cyranobob

Post by Cyranobob »

no offense taken. we went for sound, not looks - the 8401 wasn't as 'cute' as the 'Pignose' - but we could always make it sound like one by throwing a pillow on it. As posted elsewhere, the 8401 Mini-Amp was literally just a small guitar amplifier that was designed and built by Jon Graves and Irvin 'Doc' Docstetter in Alhambra CA around 1978-79. Zeus also had a line of effecets/devices, mostly designed to make rock guitars sound better. I was in a band at the time called RAZU, and we were fanatics for fat, beefy tones. Zeus used as laboratory rats for anything Doc came up with - the Mini-amp went thru a gauntlet of cynical rock-heads before it hit the market. They were only built for a few years - not sure when they quit - so there aren't that many out there. All I got for now, but very interested in following this thread, as it is a true slice of American rock history. (see attachment - that's my mini-amp) trivia note: RAZU warmed up for Quiet Riot once or twice in small Pasadena clubs. Hey, they weren't bad.
Attachments
8401_mini-adptr.jpg
Cyranobob

Post by Cyranobob »

Paul Wolfe wrote:No offense intended CyranoBob, but I find it interesting that you've come out of the woodwork after all these years to comment on this hot topic. In the past we've had hot topics about people such as Dre Forsyth and then, miraculously, he appears on our board... only to be proven a fake that someone posed as to back up their claims.

So, forgive me for doubting, but how is it that you came to post in our little world?
Doubting is a good thing, so no worries. In truth, I was talking to my sister-in-law's boyfriend a few years ago about our checkered pasts (he's quite a gear-head and does great work on my guitars). When I told him about my mini-amp and the stories attached to it, he sent me a link from VintageAmpsForum....and sure enough folks were talking about it. So every once in a while I check in on it, and was actually putting together a compilation of Zeus memorabilia myself when I came across this 'scandal' about RR's practice/pedal board. That was a blast from past! I had always assumed that Randy's family or girlfriend etc. had wound up with it, but there's more to the tale, eh? I figured it was a good time to add my 2.5 cents to the mix. The mini-amp had a way of connecting people back in the day, and I can see it still does. I'll be staying tuned in.
Cyranobob

Re: Randy's Zeus 840 amp is on EBAY til next Thursday

Post by Cyranobob »

jody kephart wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
I am the person who's been chiming in since this weekend re: my involvemnet in building the original practice board built for RR by Zeus, and I am only now looking at this picture. (haven't quite got the hang of these topic 'forums') As far as I can tell from here (sitting at my computer in Burbank CA) that is IT, brotha'. I haven't seen it since the early 80's, but everything there is of the time. If that's a copy, then you would have had to use real ZEUS components. Even the EQ was Zeus made. I'm late to this particular thread, and it appears that this 'event' has been more or less worked out favorably by now. Nevertheless, I've been 'out of the loop' for 27 years apparently and had no idea this nit was still around, much less was still an issue - that's why I'm only 'chining in' now.
Long live ZEUS! (can I get a copy of that photo?)