MXR Distortion +

Buying & Selling (Ebay or Not)

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Ell
Mass Poster

MXR Distortion +

Post by Ell »

Does anyone in England know where I can get cheap MXR Distortion+ pedals? Online or in a shop, I don't mind.
The Flying Dutchman

Re: MXR Distortion +

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Ell wrote:Does anyone in England know where I can get cheap MXR Distortion+ pedals? Online or in a shop, I don't mind.
What kind of sound are you looking for?

It's still a mystery to me how Randy could get a sound with a Distortion+ in combination with a superlead. :shock: I have a distortion+ reissue and I don't like it all in front of a Superlead. However a while ago I bought the MXR wylde overdrive and it works great! I would go for that instead of a distortion+ if you are looking for a natural metal sound.

btw. I heard the old original Distortion+ (without a LED) sounded much better (more like an overdrive) than those reissues.

Oh and I saw one pic a while ago where it looks Randy used a Boss OD1 overdrive..... (no kidding)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I just want a great distortion sound from the pedal, I don't want to have to clean drive (I think it's called that) the amp because sometimes I play on amps with no overdrive so I need the pedal to do everything. I like the sound of Randy's distortion although I don't mind if I don't replicate his exact sound.

I don't know really. I'm not really a huge Zakk fan... Is the distortion+ sound on it's own good for 80's metal and stuff would you say? I tried out the Wylde overdrive a while ago and on it's own it seemed kind of dull, it did sound quite great when with amp gain though but that kind of thing isn't what i'm looking for.

Do you think I should search for the original Distortion+ then? Is this the one with the italic writting or normal writing?

I definately don't want a boss pedal, I tried all the drive ones out the other day, I was very dissapointed lets say. I couldn't get any of the sounds I wanted out of them.

Could you maybe post the picture? :)
The Flying Dutchman

Ell wrote:I just want a great distortion sound from the pedal, I don't want to have to clean drive (I think it's called that) the amp because sometimes I play on amps with no overdrive so I need the pedal to do everything. I like the sound of Randy's distortion although I don't mind if I don't replicate his exact sound.

I don't know really. I'm not really a huge Zakk fan... Is the distortion+ sound on it's own good for 80's metal and stuff would you say? I tried out the Wylde overdrive a while ago and on it's own it seemed kind of dull, it did sound quite great when with amp gain though but that kind of thing isn't what i'm looking for.

Do you think I should search for the original Distortion+ then? Is this the one with the italic writting or normal writing?

I definately don't want a boss pedal, I tried all the drive ones out the other day, I was very dissapointed lets say. I couldn't get any of the sounds I wanted out of them.

Could you maybe post the picture? :)
I use the Wylde ovedrive to clean boost a crancked superlead. Sounds great!

I wouldn't use the MXr dist+ or Wylde overdrive when using a clean setted amp.

A few weeks ago I tried a Tonebone Hot british and was impressed. Another pedal I heard good things about is the Rocktron Silverdragon.
Both pedals sounds great on their own with a clean amp. The hot british smokes out the MXr dist+ reissue imo. I think the dist+ doesn't sound great at all.
The Hot british does not work well for clean boost btw. (probably the same for the Silverdragon)

I will post the pic (can mail it to you if you want?) but I think I gonna start a topic about it in general.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Ah k, i'll just see the pictures when you do that then. I have got the Behringer UM-100 Ultra Metal distortion pedal. It surprisingly sounds great although the feedback is through the roof and the only way to get rid of it is turning down the gain and treble but I don't want to do that.

I need a distortion pedal which can sound equally distorted no matter what amp i'm going through so i guess i'll listen to you and not get an MXR drive then.

I'll check out all the distortion pedals next weekend to see what works best for me. I might as well try out both those MXR's as well while I'm there just to see what I think of them.
The Flying Dutchman

Ell wrote:I have got the Behringer UM-100 Ultra Metal distortion pedal. It surprisingly sounds great although the feedback is through the roof and the only way to get rid of it is turning down the gain and treble but I don't want to do that.
Maybe you should consider a noisegate to keep the feedback under control? (I use a boss NS2 for that)
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I was thinking of that but I was hoping that another distortion pedal wouldn't need one so that then I could just put the one pedal in my pocket and not bother with the two. I might just get the noise gate, I don't know. What do you think I should do?
The Flying Dutchman

Ell wrote:I was thinking of that but I was hoping that another distortion pedal wouldn't need one so that then I could just put the one pedal in my pocket and not bother with the two. I might just get the noise gate, I don't know. What do you think I should do?
Well I think you probably use a certain amount of gain/distortion you like and with that amount of gain feedback comes around no matter what pedal you use. So I doubt if another pedal solve that feedback problem.
So I would first try a noisegate, if the sound you already have is oke to you and the feedback is the only thing that bothers you. The boss NS2 is not that expensive. And I would use the noisegate before the distortion and not after so the hum you eleminate before it reaches the distortion will not be magnified. A lot of times that little hiss/hum can be the starter of feedback while you want everything quiet. And when not playing damp all the strings with your fingers and cover the pickup with your hand.

Another trick is to wax the pickups. (dip the pickup in hot molten parafine for a while) The wax will sit between the coils and prevent them from vibrating and make them less microphonic. I always wax my pickups first and for sure they are more quiet afterwards. It doesn't solve my feedback problem completely but it makes it more controlable.
Oh, and I got that trick from the great Ed. :wink:
Nifareus

Post by Nifareus »

I've got an old bud box MXR d+ and i run it through a 100 watt marshall valvestate and it sounds fantastic, havent tried the new dunlop reissues tho.