PRS clone

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

sytharnia
Mass Poster

PRS clone

Post by sytharnia »

This is the only pic I have of any build part I haven't taken any pic's of the body/neck shaping, gluing etc that I did (was to busy actually "doing" it to worry about photo's :rofl: ) so its just final stages stuff here...its the maple body and the maple neck

the players .... wood stain gel, water, rags and shellac for later

various mixes of colour ....

so went dark purple base, then sanded almost right back to just pop the grain a little.Then a number of attempts at different shades of purple that ultimately ended up being sanded off (didn't like the results)
Then did a layer of basically pink, a darker purple centre then a reddish/purple over the whole lot...next was a purple/yellow blend over the whole thing and finally a yellow (with a touch of blue, red and red food colouring, which made the yellow more vibrant) over the whole guitar....the back is basically the same as the last coat on the top
The cool thing with waterbased stains is it makes it quite easy to blend the various layers for burst effects into each other because once it gets wet they start to mix again....I haven't done a really prominent burst on this because I wanted it just to appear slightly dark in the centre (which was all that easy to do initially...but I got there)

tru oil, linseed oil for wet sanding

Did about 6 coats of tru oil then wet sanded with linseed oil (boiled) and 1200 W/D paper...then one last coat of tru oil...now it needs to sit for a couple of days before buffing to gloss

mmmmm flaming....which hasn't shown up to well in this pic but is awesome

I have glued the neck in but also put 3 screws inside the P/up cavity just to be sure......the amount of wood I had for gluing didn't seem long enough hence screws as well

Back of the neck is stained and then just shellac'd at this point....just gonna run with that finish for now to see if I like it once its strung up. Scale length is 24 3/4

Will post more and better pic's once its all dry etc :thumbup:
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: PRS clone

Post by sytharnia »

DONE....and it sounds huge and fuckin awesome :thumbup:

Neck is a little fatter than it seemed in the build process but I think I can live with it. One thing I have to say is how easily this thing dents, already multiple "dings" to it after just a few days (I did go very light on the tru oil on the back..you know tone and all that)

pick ups are my go to set of JB (bridge) stock OLP neck P/up (always loved how it sounds) which I used to give me a gauge of how the wood sounds. Not sure if the JB is the right choice for this as it seems a bit "grainy" for me where I prefer a more squeezed sound (trust me I know what I mean :rofl: )...anyway stuff the words here are the photo's......oh and it looks a bit pink in these but it is very much purple in the flesh
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

and the necks a little bit on fire to
ImageImageImage
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

Looks cool
Did you build the guitar or did you buy a unfinished guitar online and add pickups and paint?
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Nick wrote:Looks cool
Did you build the guitar or did you buy a unfinished guitar online and add pickups and paint?
no I built it from scratch using kauri (native wood here in NZ) and flamed maple for the body. All up it took about 3 weeks from start to plugged in and playing. Awesome thing is I have had it finished for about 3 weeks now and it just sounds so much better than it did the first finished day. I think as every thing kinda "settles down" it has just come to life
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Looks nice... my Vendetta has that "binding" look with the stripe of natural wood. I really like that look.