ORMSBY RANDY RHOADS V

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Nick Hughes
Cool Member

ORMSBY RANDY RHOADS V

Post by Nick Hughes »

Need some advice

I was looking on YouTube and stumbled onto this guitar maker that makes Randy Rhoads polka dot Vs

http://youtu.be/dih6iU8Pg00

I am in the process of selling my 2 current polka dot Vs
1 display
1 standard trem

I like the fact that they hide the truss rod access in the neck pickup pocket

What do you guys think?
People who have got custom guitars from this company have had no complaints

I don't want to spend $6000 on what Karl makes and I don't want to wait 6 months for a GMW replica yes they are that booked on orders.

I got tired of the 2 Chinese replicas and I want a good well built quality replica
camdenlp
Cool Member

Re: ORMSBY RANDY RHOADS V

Post by camdenlp »

He's a member here if I'm not mistaken?
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

I just got a quote of $3800 Australian wich is $3500.62 in American

I think it might be worth it

I have been searching around on different forms and people say they are top quality

The only thing that is keeping me from jumping on board is the wait "you can expect a ETA of December"

For $3500 I am getting a quality guitar that should outlast me and I am getting a free custom case for the guitar

What do you guys think ?
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

Karl sent me a quote for 3 pokla dot Vs

I am stuck between the $4000 moderin Karl makes and the cheaper custom from ORMSBY.

Welcome!……from Karl M. Sandoval the designer and fabricator of the “Original” Sandoval Dot V. Randy was proud to own this fine instrument, his recordings and performances were evidence of how much he loved my custom handcrafted Sandoval Dot V.

I sell 3 Sandoval Dot V versions:
VERSION 1 :
Sandoval Dot V “Modern”….……..…………….$4,999.00 (USA Dollars)
Custom Form Fit Hard Shell Case………………. 249.00
Certificate of Authenticity………………………. Free
Shipping ……….………………………………… ????
(Shipping charge is calculated by your address)
(Additional charges for Handling and Insurance are mandatory)
(Shipping is through UPS…..United Parcel Service)
This version build is with more modern custom updated parts, supplies and fabrication.
Custom handcrafted by Karl M. Sandoval
Karl M. Sandoval signature on your guitar……..$ 250.00
Certificate of Authenticity………………………… 49.00 (Plaque)
Shipping…………………………………………… ????
(Shipping charge is calculated by your address)
(Additional charges for Handling and Insurance are mandatory)
(Shipping is through UPS…..United Parcel Service)
This version build is with an “Original” Danelectro/Silvertone type neck, old school type supplies and as many old school type parts as availability permits.
This version build is subject to the availability of old school type parts and supplies.
“Old school” fabrication methods are a major focus during the build of this version.
Any order transaction of the “Sandoval Dot V “Vintage” will be subject to the availability of “Old School type” parts and supplies…Please contact Sandoval Engineering for confirmation of availability of parts and supplies.
Custom handcrafted by Karl M. Sandoval
Karl M. Sandoval signature on your guitar……….$ 250.00

VERSION 3 :
Sandoval Dot V 30th Anniversary Limited Edition ……………….$9,999.00
3 Dimarzio pickups, Floyd Rose Trem, custom wiring, Abalone inlay, White custom formfit case and many more extra’s! ! ! ! ! !
TO COMMEMORATE THE FABRICATION OF THIS GUITAR I BUILT IN THE YEAR 1979 ! ! ! ! ! !
Many extra additions on this model ……Please email for more information.
Only 30 of these models will be fabricated…..they are selling fast to my committed fans. ONCE I BUILD 30 OF THESE GUITARS THAT’S IT ! ! ! To acquire a low serial number please contact me as soon as possible.

Payment information for all orders:

-All International orders must be “paid in full” in advance. (Payment by
Money Wire Bank to Bank Transfer Only)
-USA orders “pay in Full” or 50% deposit with monthly payments.
-Payment is made by Bank-to-Bank money wire transfer or Credit Card
Visa….MasterCard….Discovery or Certified Bank Check.
-Banking information will be given to you during the ordering process.
-Fabrication of your order will begin once your payment has cleared my
bank.
-All orders must be paid in full prior to shipment to you.
-NO REFUNDS on deposits, payments or cancellations on all custom guitar
orders.
-Fabrication time will vary based on my workload.
-Approximate build time…….3 to 6 months.

ALL CUSTOM GUITAR ORDERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE AVAILABILITY OF PARTS AND SUPPLIES. SUBSTITUTION OF PARTS AND SUPPLIES MAY OCCUR.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Hey Nick...read the comments under ORMSBY, suggestions that Karl farms his guitars out and only paints them, could be professional jealousy, idk?...the ORMSBY guitars look good, but that's pricey imo, 6 months for a GMW who if you think about it, Zakk endorses and we know that Zakk is a complete Rhoads freak, so if it was me and it might in the future, I'd go with GMW...You'll be rockin by Thanksgiving and 6 months isn't a long time to wait when you going to be getting years of enjoyment out of the guitar. Just my take man!
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

devorerd wrote:Hey Nick...read the comments under ORMSBY, suggestions that Karl farms his guitars out and only paints them, could be professional jealousy, idk?...the ORMSBY guitars look good, but that's pricey imo, 6 months for a GMW who if you think about it, Zakk endorses and we know that Zakk is a complete Rhoads freak, so if it was me and it might in the future, I'd go with GMW...You'll be rockin by Thanksgiving and 6 months isn't a long time to wait when you going to be getting years of enjoyment out of the guitar. Just my take man!
I asked Lee of GMW if there was any way to hide the truss rod in the neck pickup cavity and he refuse to make my custom order. I told him I didn't care what the end price was but he told me that he doesn't make them thatway.

he contacted me late last night and told me that the wait would be 4 months instead of 6

I don't know what it is about the truss rod assess at the top of the headstock that bugs me so much.
when I get a custom guitar I order off Warmoth because they put the little access for the truss rod in the side of the neck close to where the neck meets the body on the right-side.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Nick..no need to wait!! found this...The guy has a ton of pics too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMW-Randy-Rhoad ... 2a3c44e7b6
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

Was looking at it looks good but if I am gonna pay $2999 almost 3 grand for a guitar I want it to be new and have a standard trem (just don't like floydes they look ugly)

If the guitar had a standard trem I would have clicked buy now and would have got 1 day shipping

I think I might get a GMW made it sounds to be worth it plus the case is soo nice

If I ever get the money I will get a ORMSBY pokla dot v too

It's nice to have a spare and what ever guitar I like the most out of both will be my playing guitar and the other will replace the chinese copy in my wall display case

Thanks everybody
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

When considering getting a guitar I often look at value and build quality. The time it takes to make really is of no consequence. Ormsby builds great guitars from what I have heard. I owned a GMW for 10 years. It is a great guitar and Lee is a really nice guy that takes the time to listen to you on his build options that he offers. I think 6 months is not a big deal to wait on a guitar as I have done it 3 times and I am about to do it again on Jackson Custom shop.

The big thing for you seems to be that truss rod. It is only about 1000 more to go with Ormsby and the wait time seems to be less from your posts. And you get what you want a little sooner?? If that does not seem worth it then just do the GMW. The truss rod issue will go away as that really is a non issue. What is important is that they both have them. 1000 bucks is a lot just for truss rod placement.

As for Karl, I have never been overly impressed with his guitars enough to spend the extra cash. I am sure Karl does a nice job. But I always look at the value. What are you really getting? I hope it help some in making your decision.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

For the record, the only reason I even replied Nick, was I recognised your name from this forum. I no longer sell the PDV models. I have recently had a person cancel an order, so there was a spare. I dont really have any desire to build it as a "for sale" guitar, I have too much on my plate already, but am happy to build it for a fan.

Devorerd, there is no professional jealousy. Karl builds replicas of a guitar he made 35 years ago. I dont. If you read my comments regarding these guitars over the last 5 years, you'll notice Ive said on many times I no longer wish to sell them. Zakk uses GMW. I referred his wife to GMW when she made enquiries about getting one of mine (for his birthday). She asked for a discount, and faster build time, and I said no. As much as I'd have loved to build Zakk a guitar, they is no point him playing a guitar of mine that is representative of work I do not wish to take orders for.... and giving a discount and upsetting my current patient clients by pushing an order in front. Zakk and his wife were put on to my brand by a forum member, Darin.

Regardless of if you end up with an Ormsby, GMW, or a Sandoval, you will know you've bought yourself a good quality guitar Nick. Also note that there is one difference I do, which is through neck construction (not set neck like Randy's). This is not better, or worse, it's just the way I do it. For some people, it's an upgrade. For others it's a big no thanks.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

rhoads56, no disrespect, and I'm sure your guitars are great, (the video was very detailed) it was just interesting to find that Karl farms out his signature guitars with the exception of the paint. Randy famously dropped his and it did break, and who knows with a through neck construction would it have survived the fall? You can tell the two different necks by the paint job, which if you look closely, the original had the dots lined up straight, the replaced had them slightly offset. So, since you no longer wish to sell them, but are happy to build it for a fan, I'm a bit confused, the spare is for sale, but that's the end of the line?
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

The one that was cancelled, was ordered in 2006. Since then, the contact between myself and the client has been virtually non existant. Hence why there is one, and why its available now. There are "parts" for a bunch more, buts thats it. Inlaid fretboards, nack blanks, wings cut, etc. Drawer full of Dimarzios. Just no real desire to finish them as a batch. (although there is one coming for another forum member still)

Building for a fan, gives me the drive to get it done. Building it as a spare, doesnt, as I already have over $400k worth of orders to complete. How many of those clients would be unimpressed by me finishing guitars that have no owners? Ultimately, it makes zero difference, it would get done, but I prefer building for clients. Im the type of guy that likes a deadline, or the job gets pushed back forever. I have zero free time (my order books for 2014 closed early last year) for "side projects". Hell, I already have too many side projects! I already have a PDV of my own, so no desire to finish it for that purpose either.

The paint rumour came from a couple sources, posted both here and rr.tk I believe. If I recall correctly, it may have even been Karl's assistant that said it. Regardless, it doesnt change the quality of the guy if guy "a" does it compared to guy "b", unless you want the historic builder to build it.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Interesting read, thanks for the replies. I had no idea Zakk's wife contacted you.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

dannyahansen wrote:Interesting read, thanks for the replies. I had no idea Zakk's wife contacted you.
You'd be amazed at the number of "known" guitarists Ive knocked back. I don't see it as "OMG they want a guitar, think of the exposure!!!"... I see it as "hell, if they get this Im going to be stuck making copies of that one for years...".
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

al I know is if I was spending $3k on a guitar I would have it about me and not someone else :? ... might just be me though