It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: NAD again a year later
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:43 am 
Mass Poster

some may remember my last new amp day from around 12mths ago (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8179)....well a year later and I have another new jet city amp. Got it 2 weeks ago ....

stock pic

of course that doesn't fit with the way my other JC looks so I did this

Attachment:
Screen shot 2014-05-11 at 1.36.42 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-05-11 at 1.36.42 PM.png [ 49.02 KiB | Viewed 1380 times ]

and of course a white head needs white cabs right...so now my rig looks like this

The jca20HV is a "vintage" voiced version of the original jca20 amp (which I think is loosely based on the soldano atomica amp). Apparently joe perry from aerosmith had a stock 20 and asked for something with less gain so the 20HV was born. It is a more stock marshall kinda plexi head than the hot rodded jca 22 (which is the black head in the photo above).

A couple of days after picking it up I was really struggling with the sounds I was getting out of it..way less gain, way more bottom end and kind of dull sounding (still worked great as a clean tone for effects in my wet/dry set up though....white cabs carry the wet signal and black ones a complete dry uneffected) I started going over modding options in my head and got to a place of turning it into a jose type marshall thing :clap: . I will say after just over 10 days with it I was getting more use to it and kinda of "got" its vibe a little better.
Then yesterday I took it to a gathering we have with a new zealand based forum (http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/index.php .. check it out its kinda cool) with about 15 guitarists there and a few guys who know "how" to use a plexi style amp ran through it and the thing just exploded into life and sounded GLORIOUS

They tell me this being a plexi style head means you really need to push the power tubes to get "that" sound so now I have reached the point of I am not going to mod it at all, I need an attenuator to tame it it home (it does take OD/gain pedals really well so that might have to do in the short term) and I have to adapted and "expand" my playing style :x should be a fun ride

and as I was typing this I was contacted by an amp builder who said he can do a jose type attenuator circuit for way cheaper than I can buy even a second hand attenuator for (I have heard the mod he did to my mates mojave so I know he is very good) so that is gonna happen when I get to chance to go and see him

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]