Finally getting a RR1!

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: Finally getting a RR1!

Post by sytharnia »

I wouldn't take 12's up to Eb without doing some truss rod tweaks, even 11's would be pushing it esp with it being in C (who the hell wants their guitar to sound like a bass...frikken hate low tunings)....good idea getting a tech to restring and set it up, i'm sure you will love it when its done
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Shockwave wrote:If I don't end up liking it still i will probably unload it...but i doubt that will happen :)
When I received my Vendetta I was convinced I was going to unload it quickly. The frets were way to high for my preference and the neck was thinner than I prefer.

However, after a couple of weeks it's my favorite guitar! Funny how things work out.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Dropped it off and the guy was like wtf is in that case :shock: :shock: (case is huge)
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Shockwave wrote:Dropped it off and the guy was like wtf is in that case :shock: :shock: (case is huge)

:lol:
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Shockwave wrote:Alright so i got the guitar in yesterday....So far it is very hard to tell if I am going to like it or not because

1. The previous owner had this thing setup for C tuning! and has 11's or 12's on this guitar...HOLY SHIT is it stiff. So after noodling around in C as it came(it came perfectly in tune from across the country!) I tuned up to E flat as i normally play in, this is where things start going wrong. It played fine once i tuned up but the bridge got pulled on a huge angle of course because of the tension. At the same time the neck must have bowed slightly because of the increased tension, either way it was hard as hell to play anything other than chords, string height was also high as hell. So i adjust the claw of the bridge and get the floyd back and level with the body of the guitar. Now the thing is buzzing like crazy all over the place and I don't really want to play it at all like this, sounds like crap. I think instead of screwing with it anymore i am just going to drop it off tomorrow to a tech and have him go through it and set it up how i want it.

A few other notes...

-The guitar is truly mint, it could have been on the showroom floor easily.

-When i did tune up to e-flat and tried to do some soloing on it I have never heard notes on a guitar be more clear and powerful. The little that i played it i can safely say it already blows everything out of the water i have ever owned, including a couple LP Customs. It's just extremely hard to play the way it is setup right now, it's worse than an acoustic IMO, probably just the 12's on it though :)

-I find it odd though how even everything sounds ...almost to even. It's almost like I am playing through a compressor that is maxed out.

Anyway, i usually set up my own guitars, but i have never had a floyd before. So i am going to drop it off tomorrow. In the past when i brought a guitar to these guys it's usually about a 5 day turn around. So i will update you guys later next week. If I don't end up liking it still i will probably unload it...but i doubt that will happen :)
Oh snap 12's. Lol yeah your guitar really is not built for 12's to be tuned up to standard or even 1/2 step down. I mean I don't even know what kind of springs you would need in the back just to off set the tension. Yeah your guitar is going to play like crap until you get some 10's on there. 11's are the highest I would go but only 1/2 step down.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Shockwave wrote:Dropped it off and the guy was like wtf is in that case :shock: :shock: (case is huge)
Rofl. You think those cases are big. The case that came with my PDV was even bigger.

My Dean ML case is bigger than the Jackson case. Just that v's take up a lot of space.
Dino

Post by Dino »

If it was set up for drop C tuning, you'll most likely need to have the intonation adjusted as well. The Floyd adjustments are no big deal but if you've never done any of this work before, it's best that you took it to someone who knows what they're doing.

It's a beautiful guitar.
I'm sure once it's properly set up, you'll love it. :D
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-USA-RR1 ... 2ed0d7faeb

This is serial number U24210 and it was March 14 of 2013. Yours could be 2013 or late 2012.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

dannyahansen wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-USA-RR1 ... 2ed0d7faeb

This is serial number U24210 and it was March 14 of 2013. Yours could be 2013 or late 2012.
Nice! Thanks

Anyway..I got mine back last Thursday. Much better!

It's going to take a while to get used to...is it a keeper? Within a month I'll know...
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

You know, when I got my latest guitar it was probably the most naturally feeling guitar for me that I had played with in a long time. The other interesting thing was that I went to my GC this last weekend and I totally fell in love with this '52 tele they had. It was just bitchen sounding. And it played really well. I do hope this guitar suites you well.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

I see you are selling your guitar. That is OK, they are not for everyone. You should do fine getting what you are asking for that condition. The best thing to do is to start it for 1 dollar and let eBay do its thing. You end up typically getting what you want for it.

Look like you already sold it?
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Yep, ended up unloading for $1725 shipped. So after all the fee's and stuff i'll bank about $250 on it. I never do auctions as i don't want people bidding on it that have low feedback. At least with a BIN , they can buy it but i don't have to wait till the end of the auction that i won't be selling it to them. With the BIN i just tell them they are not getting it and then re-list it if they ignore what i said in the description

Very nice guitar but it just wasn't going to gel with me... Going back to my LP after playing the RR1 for a few weeks makes it feel like spaghetti lol. It feels like a completely different guitar now :)