So I bought a guitar...

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

So I bought a guitar...

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've been wanting a Les Paul for ages but I'm not willing to pay Gibson prices (especially for the quality)... so today I picked up a '70's Seville LP copy for $75 at a pawn shop... my Les Paul craving has been satisfied.
Attachments
P1000866a.jpg
P1000868.JPG
P1000869.JPG
Last edited by Paul Wolfe on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: So I bought a guitar...

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Nice!! is that finish called 'tobacco' burst ? looks as good as a gibson, whats the action like.. or does it need set up to suit you ?...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The action is great, super low... unfortunately it frets out at the 5th fret of the low E string. Only that one note... so I think I'll have it professionally set up. I also want to change to 10's, it's got 9's on it now (that's what was on it in the shop and they are too light for my taste).

It's really a beautiful guitar and sounds amazing... being used to Starts for so many years, getting used to the scale length is in order. The neck and is thinner and narrower than my Strat (which is comparable to my son's baseball bat), so that made my initial attempts at Crowley sound like I had no idea what notes to hit! I kept overshooting stings for the first half hour.

I guess tobacco is the correct term for the color. It reminds me of the Custom Ace Frehley played in the early days of KISS.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

awesome I love cheap LP copies.....with the fretting out you might be able to tap the 6th fret down a little which should help with buzz
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sytharnia wrote:awesome I love cheap LP copies.....with the fretting out you might be able to tap the 6th fret down a little which should help with buzz
I had a friend suggest that and, for the life of me, I don't know why it didn't occur to me. I'll be doing the work this afternoon and look forward to a sweet evening of playing.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

So did you choose this over the ESP you were looking at?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

BowTie29 wrote:So did you choose this over the ESP you were looking at?
Yeah, but it turned out to be an LTD tiger for $325 and I just didn't want it as badly as I thought I might... if the keep it for a while I might save for it.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Yeah, but it turned out to be an LTD tiger for $325 and I just didn't want it as badly as I thought I might... if the keep it for a while I might save for it.
is that a lynch tiger??? for $325....... :shock: christ i would have been all over it 8)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Yeah, it's a Lynch tiger.

The Seville had a better feel to it, so I chose that. The tiger's been there for months, and I don't see it going any time soon.