another build...warning not for the faint hearted

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

sytharnia
Mass Poster

another build...warning not for the faint hearted

Post by sytharnia »

so I thought it was time to make another guitar (the roswell build is giving me so much grief that it has been put on hold until..when ever) but my problem is 1) being winter paint take ages to dry, 2) i'm totally over sanding and getting that "perfect" finish and 3) I want a new guitar NOW

so I have had a jackson neck for a while from the fb2 I got off ed (I never bonded with the firebird body so all the other parts have ended up on other guitars) so I figured it time to use it. The plan was to make a jackson "star" style guitar with the lynch bomber graphic ...... but see 1,2 and 3 above ....... yes it would turn into the roswell 2

question...how do you make a guitar without hours of sanding, drying paint and countless bottle of alcohol??????

answer......
piss yellow....(or yellow shit in some circles)
more to come :mrgreen:

this thread sucks....need pictures

arty shots
ImageImage
wow that's some rough building and priming
who better to paint than the kids (no the little one isn't picking his nose, he is holding a lolly)
all nicely paint, now what to do.....hey lets hit it with a metal bar (gave my son a crowbar but he said it was to heavy...so I did that part)
ImageImage
ImageImage
looking awesome

now the best bits

obviously now that it is looking great what is left to do............mmmmm lets set it on fire :twisted:
ImageImage
ImageImage
meh call that a fire.....this is a fire
nice and charred
but hey its to heavy, lets cut some wood off
ImageImage

this is the most fun I have had building a guitar probably ever :rofl:

now something slightly less violent....shaving down the neck
ImageImage
arty shots
ImageImage

The jackson necks on the fb2 are massive...by far the biggest necks I have ever played and while it wasn't uncomfortable to play it was big enough to not make me want to pick the guitar up very often so I have shaved it back by about 15% or so. It still feels big but a bit more manageable now

oh and if you home builders out there don't have any spokeshaves then get some...NOW they rock :thumbup:

ImageImage
ImageImage

and its done
ImageImage
this frankenstein of flesh stitched together back from death....... :rofl: ....nails and glue used to hold it all together. It is amazing how much the wood wanted to split apart from the fire :moresarc:
ImageImage
the metal bit I glued on to hold the pot fell off so now it sits inside the cavity....if it gets to annoying i'll screw the other bit back on

It sounds pretty cool although it does lack a bit of resonance acoustically.....no idea why that would be :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: another build...warning not for the faint hearted

Post by randy will never die »

O for a second I thought you were making a evh charvel star.

The evh charvel star is extremely hard to Make
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

randy will never die wrote:O for a second I thought you were making a evh charvel star.

are you talking about his "shark" destroyer?????......meh it would be easy man, but I always hated it :lol:

There is an eddie link to original of this guitar....can anyone tell me what it is???

if you know who has a guitar similar to this you should get it :mrgreen:
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

Paint? Just dont paint it! Although, this took me a little longer than paint...

More here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 617&type=1
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sytharnia is that your Chris Holmes 'bastard child' of a Jackson born from the flames and rising like a pheonix. A bit of a rough n ready axe.
Perry that guitar WOW its like something from the time machine i love the weathered copper plate look and the mechanixs cogs pipes etc. When all is said and done, how much would covering the body in copper plate effect the tone of the guitar etc. Does it improve ?. was this a job you done for someone, or is this your guitar ?.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

sytharnia wrote:
randy will never die wrote:O for a second I thought you were making a evh charvel star.

are you talking about his "shark" destroyer?????......meh it would be easy man, but I always hated it :lol:

There is an eddie link to original of this guitar....can anyone tell me what it is???

if you know who has a guitar similar to this you should get it :mrgreen:

Just google evh charvel star
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

What about this would be so hard?

It's just a star shape with a paint job and a random neck (Ed switched necks a lot)...

sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
oh that one....meh ugly and again would be easy
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Sytharnia is that your Chris Holmes 'bastard child' of a Jackson born from the flames and rising like a pheonix. A bit of a rough n ready axe.
Perry that guitar WOW its like something from the time machine i love the weathered copper plate look and the mechanixs cogs pipes etc. When all is said and done, how much would covering the body in copper plate effect the tone of the guitar etc. Does it improve ?. was this a job you done for someone, or is this your guitar ?.
Its a really thin coating of copper, so I wasnt too worried about it effecting the tone. If it was steel, it would effect the magnets in the pickups though. The client says it is hands down the biggest tone of all the guitars he has (three other customs).
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Paul Wolfe wrote:What about this would be so hard?

It's just a star shape with a paint job and a random neck (Ed switched necks a lot)...

The hard part would be the graphics

A few people on YouTube made a evh charvel star.

The paint graphics would take a few hours

The final neck on that guitar was a danelectro neck
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

rhoads56 wrote:
Its a really thin coating of copper, so I wasnt too worried about it effecting the tone. If it was steel, it would effect the magnets in the pickups though. The client says it is hands down the biggest tone of all the guitars he has (three other customs).
I have had a similar experience with metal......I changed the bridge of one of my builds with a Vtrem and the new ones block was it a slightly different position so I put a thin piece of steel running along the trem cavity that went into a right angle for the block to rest against. It really added a zing to the tone that wasn't there before hand
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

sytharnia wrote:
rhoads56 wrote:
I have had a similar experience with metal......I changed the bridge of one of my builds with a Vtrem and the new ones block was it a slightly different position so I put a thin piece of steel running along the trem cavity that went into a right angle for the block to rest against. It really added a zing to the tone that wasn't there before hand

Now you know how a Telecaster gets its distinctive tone :) Well, some of it anyway.