Gibsons new min E tuner

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rhoads56
Cool Member

Re: Gibsons new min E tuner

Post by rhoads56 »

randy will never die wrote:So is Gibson have a licenses to sell the tuner

I know for a fact that Gibson did not invent the tuner

Why would you put millions if dollars into a product and not sell a good version
Gibson haven't made decent guitars in decades. All brand loyalty aside, they cut a LOT of corners.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rhoads56 wrote:Gibson haven't made decent guitars in decades. All brand loyalty aside, they cut a LOT of corners.
I hear that a lot. That's why I do my guitar buying at the pawn shop and not Guitar Center :) There's a Seville Les Paul (lawsuit era) that I've got my eye on for $325 right now at my local pawn shop.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

I do t buy gibsons because of the price I buy chinese imports or fakes or replicas

They are cheaper and they are dam good guitars just need to change the hardware and electronics

I buy gibsions of DHGATE

I buy fenders in pawn shops and buy ibaneizes from my local music store
SammyBones

Post by SammyBones »

Uh.... the most likely reason for a high warranty/repair or return rate is probably user error. People don't read the manual. People are impatient. People don't understand how it works making something impossible that is really easy. How many people who play guitar can't set up their own guitar? It is no surprise to me that they are returned. If you have a guitar with auto tuners, or have a robot guitar that you hate... sell it to me. Or better yet, give it to me as a gift since I'm your favorite guitar tech.
:lol: You can find me easily at http://www.sammybones.com
rhoads56 wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
rhoads56 wrote:I used to do warranties for Gibson. Their self tuning guitars have a 135% return rate. That means for every 100 guitars they build (that have self tuning), on average they are returned for warranty 1.35 times.
Good to know... could you give a common reason? The system just not working?
To save weight, the tuners are made from plastic. If the self tuning is engaged, and you try to manually tune (trust me, it's instinctive... or when the battery dies) you break the machinehead.

The electronics are very tempermental.

The batteries fail and have a low lifespan. They are a very unusual voltage (I dont remember, but it is not common... like 7.8 volts or something), and have a unique clip to stop you buying another off the shelf. You have to plug the guitar into a special charger, through the jack hole. You can't play while it charges.

The tail piece has plastic inserts for the ball ends of the strings to sit in. These wear and break.

Zero shielding causes electronic interference.

All surface mount, and unique connectors, mean you need to modify the circuits when swapping pickups. Dodgy pot? Going to be expensive to fix!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

SammyBones wrote:Uh.... the most likely reason for a high warranty/repair or return rate is probably user error. People don't read the manual. People are impatient. People don't understand how it works making something impossible that is really easy. How many people who play guitar can't set up their own guitar? It is no surprise to me that they are returned. If you have a guitar with auto tuners, or have a robot guitar that you hate... sell it to me. Or better yet, give it to me as a gift since I'm your favorite guitar tech.
:lol: You can find me easily at http://www.sammybones.com
Welcome Sammy.

How about your point of view on these tuners beyond blaming 'user error'? It's always good to have new members here, but this post seems like a shameless attempt to drum up business. Give me some background on your experience with these tuners and I'll change my opinion.
bambo

Post by bambo »

I have just purchased Tronical tuner and its working beyond my expectations. They are the only one in the North America. You guys should try these too. I bought it from http://stores.ebay.com/Tundra-Music/_i. ... ksid=p4634
Also, you can contact through these sources too call toll free for best deal 1-855-643-2787 or email epicenter@tundramusic.com
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

$329 to tune a guitar? Thanks, but Ill stick with my $8 Snark and use my hand to turn the keys.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

bambo wrote:I have just purchased Tronical tuner and its working beyond my expectations. They are the only one in the North America. You guys should try these too. I bought it from http://stores.ebay.com/Tundra-Music/_i. ... ksid=p4634
Also, you can contact through these sources too call toll free for best deal 1-855-643-2787 or email epicenter@tundramusic.com

Not to be mean man but this is basically the same thing as the mini E Tuner

If you look at the web page before you click on it it says mini E Tuner Gibson

I have a feeling that these people are the makers of the mini E Tuner and they are just contracting out to Gibson for some extra pocket cash