RANDY RHOADS - Polkadot Flying V - HD VIDEO - RareElectricGu

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

RANDY RHOADS - Polkadot Flying V - HD VIDEO - RareElectricGu

Post by randy will never die »

just look just because its cheap does not mean they are crap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe63vKYqMI0

on the site they have a concord the guitar is nice and the case is very nice too
http://www.rareelectricguitars.com/Rare ... itars.html

just look thats all i ask

http://www.rareelectricguitars.com/Rand ... e_189.html
http://www.rareelectricguitars.com/Rand ... r_655.html
http://www.rareelectricguitars.com/Rand ... V_575.html

and heres a PVD with a flyod
http://www.rareelectricguitars.com/Rand ... V_573.html

scrol down through all of the pages listed execpt the youtube
here the trem the closest to the 1 randy use on his PDV
its the first term on the right
http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/thirdproduc ... le+Bridges

heres the right bridge for the concord tht randy used
http://wayneguitars.com/wordpress/?p=1333
heres the website its sold on
http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/1792 ... lo-Bridge/
imgurl=http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... Aw&dur=509
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Re: RANDY RHOADS - Polkadot Flying V - HD VIDEO - RareElectr

Post by dannyahansen »

Sorry but that guitar sounded like ass. Listen when he hits the open notes. It sounds like it is out of tune and very thin. You get what you pay for.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

replace the bridge and tuners

trade the old tuners in for locking ones

if you take the time to set it up right
it could go a long way

Got to rember that there are a LOT of things that can make a guitar with a trem go out of tune
thats the fun part is when the go out of tune :lol: :twisted:
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

They look and sound like cheap garbage guitars to me. Why would you pay $500 bucks (with case and shipping costs) and then sink another 300-400 in replacement tuners, bridge, and pickups just to make it sound and play halfway decent?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Remedylane wrote:They look and sound like cheap garbage guitars to me. Why would you pay $500 bucks (with case and shipping costs) and then sink another 300-400 in replacement tuners, bridge, and pickups just to make it sound and play halfway decent?
Because some folks love projects. Why pay thousands for any guitar when you can create your own cheaper? To each his own. You guys don't like them and like to spend big $$, that's cool, I would buy one just for the fun of making it just the way I want it...
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

randy will never die wrote:replace the bridge and tuners

trade the old tuners in for locking ones

if you take the time to set it up right
it could go a long way

Got to rember that there are a LOT of things that can make a guitar with a trem go out of tune
thats the fun part is when the go out of tune :lol: :twisted:
Lol there is something wrong with the way the guitar is built. Changing those things might improve it. But I am pretty sure (can't say 100% sure because I have not actually played the guitar) that it has other issues that come down to build quality. But hey, don't let me talk you out of getting one if you want it. Some poeple like flank steak, other prefer ribeye or newyork.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Remedylane wrote:They look and sound like cheap garbage guitars to me. Why would you pay $500 bucks (with case and shipping costs) and then sink another 300-400 in replacement tuners, bridge, and pickups just to make it sound and play halfway decent?
Because some folks love projects. Why pay thousands for any guitar when you can create your own cheaper? To each his own. You guys don't like them and like to spend big $$, that's cool, I would buy one just for the fun of making it just the way I want it...
Well that is the myth. Having done this a number of times, it is my opinion that you are not really saving thousands and I end up selling the guitar because I am not satisfied. People buy epiphones (for example) and then pretend that changing the pickups gives them a guitar that is as nice as a Gibson. Is a 1959 historic reissue really worth 6k? I don't know. I have never ponied up the cash to get one yet. All I can say is that lots of poeple own them so clearly price is not an issue for Gibson. I have learned that you get what you pay for. If you want a guitar that is 10's accorss the board you will pay alot of money for it.

I will say this that I agree with your main point that people do like projects.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

You play professionally, right, Danny? I can see where you get your point of view. I, on the other hand, have no interest in playing in a band or in front of others, so I could take a $400 V and make it play beautifully in the setting I play it in. My amp never goes above 2, so things sound a lot different than they probably do for you.

The other thing for me is that I don't see a guitar as an investment and never will. To me it's a tool to make music with and I can make the music I want with an inexpensive guitar. Ed Van Halen made a beater guitar into a legendary instrument... we'll just have to disagree.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:You play professionally, right, Danny? I can see where you get your point of view. I, on the other hand, have no interest in playing in a band or in front of others, so I could take a $400 V and make it play beautifully in the setting I play it in. My amp never goes above 2, so things sound a lot different than they probably do for you.

The other thing for me is that I don't see a guitar as an investment and never will. To me it's a tool to make music with and I can make the music I want with an inexpensive guitar. Ed Van Halen made a beater guitar into a legendary instrument... we'll just have to disagree.
There's a difference in getting a $400 Epiphone and play it as it is
and modding the shit out of it, pretending it's a Gibson. Won't be the same, EVER!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:There's a difference in getting a $400 Epiphone and play it as it is
and modding the shit out of it, pretending it's a Gibson. Won't be the same, EVER!
And buying a Sandoval V (or any other, for that matter) won't be the same as Randy's, so what?

With Randy's V you are going for the look, period. You can make any guitar sound like Randy's by changing parts. It takes more effort to make it look like Randy's guitar.

Let's face it, no one will EVER convince me that there is a good reason to spend more than $900 on a guitar. Randy's V cost under $800 when he bought it. Ed's Strat was under $300 and they changed the world. Anyone on this board could spend $400 on a Mexican Strat and make beautiful, professional music on it for a lifetime.

The same holds true, though, I will NEVER convince those of you who believe the "you-get-what-you-pay-for" concept. I have no problem with that. I won't talk down to you for not seeing things my way and i ask that you not talk down to those who see things my way.

There has to be more to this RR Community than talking shit to one another all the time.
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

Paul, I understand what you mean. But where is the shit-talking in this thread? Looks pretty civil imho. If anything, I believe your comments are as abrasive as any sometimes. Sorry, I just don't see this thread as anything more than a difference in opinions.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Randy's V was 800 however in todays currency that is almost 3G. Im not saying that it is worth spending that much at all. I agree with you Paul, 900ish is the most that a guitar is worth. If you were to make this into a decent guitar, it would cost about 800-900 in the end. Youre also taking a risk on the neck being straight and the fretboard not buzzing with it being a cheap chinese version. Im not trying to start anything, but didnt you say somewhere else that you already have a polka dot V?
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

This guy in the video looks like he's taking a mean growler while he's playing. Especially at the end when he tries those aweful dives that end prematurely.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

camdenlp wrote:Paul, I understand what you mean. But where is the shit-talking in this thread? Looks pretty civil imho. If anything, I believe your comments are as abrasive as any sometimes. Sorry, I just don't see this thread as anything more than a difference in opinions.
I reread through this thread and indeed it's been civil, I apologize for sounding abrasive.

As for the "in today's dollars" concept, I get that, with inflation and all. However, I believe you could still build the guitar Randy had for that price. The price of wood isn't that steep, you just have to know what you're doing. There's a HUGE profit margin built into all of these things - the wood, the parts, etc. The actual cost for the manufacturer is not in the $1000s.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
camdenlp wrote:Paul, I understand what you mean. But where is the shit-talking in this thread? Looks pretty civil imho. If anything, I believe your comments are as abrasive as any sometimes. Sorry, I just don't see this thread as anything more than a difference in opinions.
I reread through this thread and indeed it's been civil, I apologize for sounding abrasive.

As for the "in today's dollars" concept, I get that, with inflation and all. However, I believe you could still build the guitar Randy had for that price. The price of wood isn't that steep, you just have to know what you're doing. There's a HUGE profit margin built into all of these things - the wood, the parts, etc. The actual cost for the manufacturer is not in the $1000s.
this is true...all the guitars I have built would come in under $500

costs rise with all the "pretty" wood everyone seems obsessed with...and obviously labour is charged at a premium