Fernandes Randy Rhoads Les Paul.

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

stollypop

Fernandes Randy Rhoads Les Paul.

Post by stollypop »

Hello all i'm new here and would like some info on my guitar if possible.

I have a Fernandes RR Les Paul that i bought in 87 so i would guess it's an 86 model. It has fernandes on the headstock not Burny. How many were made and is it true that Fernandes/Burny were given permission by the Rhoads family to go over Randys original Gibson LP?. I bought it from Peter Cooks Guitar World in London it cost 340.00. Are these sought after/collectable?

Thanks.
Ahh ha ha, ever get the feeling you've been cheated?
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: Fernandes Randy Rhoads Les Paul.

Post by sytharnia »

as far as I know they weren't given permission its just the japanese market seem to have a "deal" that they can copy pretty much anything as long as it is just for their market...these with fernandes on the headstock instead of burny are very rare, but I'm not sure how that works out in terms of value. They made fantastic guitars back then so the right buyer should pay ok money for one
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

sytharnia wrote:as far as I know they weren't given permission its just the japanese market seem to have a "deal" that they can copy pretty much anything as long as it is just for their market...these with fernandes on the headstock instead of burny are very rare, but I'm not sure how that works out in terms of value. They made fantastic guitars back then so the right buyer should pay ok money for one
Thanks for the reply.

I have just recieved an email from Fernandes USA who state that Fernandes Japan were given permission to market the RR model by the Rhoads family. I have also heard they were not given permission but you can copy anything you like as long as it's for the Japan/China market only. If that's the case how did the RR Les Paul get into the UK? especially as they were being sold as the Randy Rhoads Model, had his name in gold on the pick guard too. So how'd they get away with that?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

stollypop wrote:I have just recieved an email from Fernandes USA who state that Fernandes Japan were given permission to market the RR model by the Rhoads family. I have also heard they were not given permission but you can copy anything you like as long as it's for the Japan/China market only. If that's the case how did the RR Les Paul get into the UK? especially as they were being sold as the Randy Rhoads Model, had his name in gold on the pick guard too. So how'd they get away with that?
it's not just Japan/China market. It's EVERY non-US market, since the US copyright/trademark
laws don't apply outside their border ;)

anyhoo, how about a picture or 2? :D
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

I see, thanks for the info.

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Nice one!
Some covered humbuckers and you're good to go :)
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

Stiltzkin wrote:Nice one!
Some covered humbuckers and you're good to go :)
I have the original gold humbuckers that came with the guitar but changed them for these Dimarzio distortions as they sound a bit meaner.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

thats a cool guitar--Rock On
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

How does the Super D sound in the neck? Im looking to put one there myself.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

BowTie29 wrote:How does the Super D sound in the neck? Im looking to put one there myself.
I've had one in the neck of my super strat and it sounded really good......but I now have a super 2 in there and that sounds better than the SD. Might be worth looking at
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

Super D sounds real good in the neck position. I don't use the neck pick up too much but it sounds right to these ears. I like Dimarzios and as you can tell by the colouring of the bridge pick up i have had it in there a long time (since about 88) so have probably got used to its sound. I put the neck dimarzio in around 98. I reccommend them.
catdaddy

Post by catdaddy »

ill buy it off you
catdaddy34@sbcglobal.net
kev
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

Thanks for the offer but it's not for sale. Had it 26 yrs now and it's still the best guitar i've ever played so will never part with it.
JasonRain

Post by JasonRain »

they weren't given permission its just the japanese market seem to have a "deal" that they can copy pretty much anything as long as it is just for their market.

Post by Stiltzkin »

JasonRain wrote:they weren't given permission its just the japanese market seem to have a "deal" that they can copy pretty much anything as long as it is just for their market.
Stiltzkin wrote: it's not just Japan/China market. It's EVERY non-US market, since the US copyright/trademark
laws don't apply outside their border ;)