Fret Size

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

BowTie29
Cool Member

Fret Size

Post by BowTie29 »

I am going to order a neck from Warmoth however I dont know much about fret size. There is a little bit of info on their site but its not super clear. I like small frets such as the ones on EVH Wolfgangs. I have read that 6230 is small but I have also read that a 6105 is a small fret. To try to clear things up I am asking here to see if anyone knows for sure.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: Fret Size

Post by randy will never die »

BowTie29 wrote:I am going to order a neck from Warmoth however I dont know much about fret size. There is a little bit of info on their site but its not super clear. I like small frets such as the ones on EVH Wolfgangs. I have read that 6230 is small but I have also read that a 6105 is a small fret. To try to clear things up I am asking here to see if anyone knows for sure.
Check your old guiatrs that you still have and love to play go tho the website of the guitar company and look. Up the fret size if the fret size is not right I would order a blank neck an buy diffrent fret sizes and install them your sellf its in my opinion is the easest part to deall with
Last edited by randy will never die on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

BowTie29 wrote:I am going to order a neck from Warmoth however I dont know much about fret size. There is a little bit of info on their site but its not super clear. I like small frets such as the ones on EVH Wolfgangs. I have read that 6230 is small but I have also read that a 6105 is a small fret. To try to clear things up I am asking here to see if anyone knows for sure.
here you go.

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratoc ... -size.html
Item Number Width X Height Description Used By
6230 .080" X .043" This is the smallest fret wire. Vintage Fender necks.
6130 .106" X .036" Often referred to as "Medium Jumbo". Many Gibson necks.
6150 .103" X .046" A true "Jumbo". It is about the same width as the 6130 but a bit taller. Modern Fender American necks.
6105 .096" X .047" Narrow and tall. A popular choice.
6100 .112" X .055" Huge! This is big stuff for the almost scalloped feel. Common on Ibanez
Stainless Steel Fret Wire
Stainless steel is both harder (Vickers hardness HV 250) and smoother than nickel/silver fretwire. For general reference we use Dunlop's fret numbers, however, actual fret dimensions vary somewhat from batch to batch.

I am pretty sure you are after 6105's. Thos have the narrow feel of a vintage wire but are tall like a jumbo. so you don't have to press down so hard to bend the string.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Thanks!
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

don't know about the wolfgangs but i'm pretty sure eddies guitars have stainless steel frets
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

sytharnia wrote:don't know about the wolfgangs but i'm pretty sure eddies guitars have stainless steel frets
yes and he says they kick ass

from some reshersh i did long time ago like 4 years ago the stainless steel frets last longer than normal frets
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

randy will never die wrote:
sytharnia wrote:don't know about the wolfgangs but i'm pretty sure eddies guitars have stainless steel frets
yes and he says they kick ass

from some reshersh i did long time ago like 4 years ago the stainless steel frets last longer than normal frets
for normal bedroom guitarist they will last pretty much forever....I use stainless steel strings on half my guitars and they last (as in stay nice and sharp and bright) a least twice as long as nickel