any guitar painters or builders out their

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

the crush
Cool Member

any guitar painters or builders out their

Post by the crush »

as some of you know here i am having a custom polka dot v being built and its almost done and im very happy with it so far the builder does everything my hand and has done a awsome job well its been primed and painted black and now getting ready to do the white dots he ordered a mask to do the dots not to sure what that is like a cover to paint the dots on the guitar i think and i know it cant be easy to do the dots and make them like origional guitar has anyone here ever painted polka dots on guitar or done a polka v if so how did you do the dots thanks
Attachments
389254_388577347844170_1260343901_n.jpg
389254_388577347844170_1260343901_n.jpg (5.18 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
577723_385467384821833_1622146864_n.jpg
292118_388578041177434_1002012446_n.jpg
292118_388578041177434_1002012446_n.jpg (6.41 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: any guitar painters or builders out their

Post by sytharnia »

The best way to do it is paint the guitar white first then get those stick on dots you can get at stationary shops, stickem on (make sure the white is super dry before applying the dots other wise when you lift them they may lift the white off as well) then spray the black layer
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

sytharnia wrote:The best way to do it is paint the guitar white first then get those stick on dots you can get at stationary shops, stickem on (make sure the white is super dry before applying the dots other wise when you lift them they may lift the white off as well) then spray the black layer
Well that's to late the guitar is already painted black so don't think that work I'm sure how ever he does the dots will be fine just wanted to see how other painters did it
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

Trust me, re base it white... Basing white over black will have a big edge that will take many clear sessions to fill. Black covers white super easy... Plus u need to hang it! Lol

Two ways to do it... Plot out dots with spray mask and transfer... Must know spacing.. That's easiest...
Harder way is making a grid. Laying out freehand.

If u can't get it ship it out to me and I can finish exact to spec.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

Dub post
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

the crush wrote:
sytharnia wrote:The best way to do it is paint the guitar white first then get those stick on dots you can get at stationary shops, stickem on (make sure the white is super dry before applying the dots other wise when you lift them they may lift the white off as well) then spray the black layer
Well that's to late the guitar is already painted black so don't think that work I'm sure how ever he does the dots will be fine just wanted to see how other painters did it
I'm sure he will get there that way. My concern would be he will have a lot more paint on there trying to paint white over black and then a whole lot more clear to get it all flat............all the covering can't be good for tone. try and get progress pic's of what he's doing
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

sik_kreations wrote:Trust me, re base it white... Basing white over black will have a big edge that will take many clear sessions to fill. Black covers white super easy... Plus u need to hang it! Lol

Two ways to do it... Plot out dots with spray mask and transfer... Must know spacing.. That's easiest...

Well he ordered a mask to correct spacing that the dots are suppose to be are u saying the guitar should of been painted all white first and he does have a loit of experince painting guitars and building them I think it will turn out fine I know this is his first polka dot v check out his FB vonlisowe custom guitars he does great inlay work to thanks alot
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I'm assuming he ordered this vinyl mask. The only worry I'd have is peeling some black off as the mask is removed. Also, as mentioned, it'll take a fair amount of clear to flatten things out.

Good luck.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

the crush wrote:
sik_kreations wrote:Trust me, re base it white... Basing white over black will have a big edge that will take many clear sessions to fill. Black covers white super easy... Plus u need to hang it! Lol

Well he ordered a mask to correct spacing that the dots are suppose to be are u saying the guitar should of been painted all white first and he does have a loit of experince painting guitars and building them I think it will turn out fine I know this is his first polka dot v check out his FB vonlisowe custom guitars he does great inlay work to thanks alot

That's what I would have done and I would have hand laid them just like they were done. I'm a stickler to details, my concordes stripes are as exact as their gun a get. If he's painted a lot this should be a walk in the park. It's gun a take 2 or 3 clear sessions to bury.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote:The only worry I'd have is peeling some black off as the mask is removed
using a 2 pot lacquer (which uses hardener instead of thinners) would stop peel as it goes super super hard. I am about to do flames onto a V and was gonna use it but it was to expensive and would have blown my budget apart (the normal lacquer pretty much did that anyway :roll: )
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

sytharnia wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:The only worry I'd have is peeling some black off as the mask is removed
using a 2 pot lacquer (which uses hardener instead of thinners) would stop peel as it goes super super hard. I am about to do flames onto a V and was gonna use it but it was to expensive and would have blown my budget apart (the normal lacquer pretty much did that anyway :roll: )
There is no such thing a 2k lacquer.. Lacquer is 1k meaning 1 component and dries by air.. 2k products use hardners..usually some form of urethane Or polyester resin and dry by chemical reaction.

If there is no adhesion to the base coat the clear will not stop the loss of adhesion or delimitation.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

sik_kreations wrote:[

There is no such thing a 2k lacquer.. Lacquer is 1k meaning 1 component and dries by air.. 2k products use hardners..usually some form of urethane Or polyester resin and dry by chemical reaction.

If there is no adhesion to the base coat the clear will not stop the loss of adhesion or delimitation.
so what is this kind of thing then??
http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/2k- ... -131-c.asp
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

sytharnia wrote:
sik_kreations wrote:[

so what is this kind of thing then??
http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/2k- ... -131-c.asp

its still 2k urethane... the europeans espeically the britts like to call it lacquer for "slang term"... when it comes to automotive paint.. there is 1k and 2k... 1k is dry by air... thats a lacquer... lacquer drys by evaporation and is NEVER cured and can be rewetted. 2k products use a hardner that causes a chemical reaction that CURES the paint, when cured it cant be softened back.

hell the britts call high speed variable buffers a mop... so there ya go.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

sik_kreations wrote: its still 2k urethane... the europeans espeically the britts like to call it lacquer for "slang term"... when it comes to automotive paint.. there is 1k and 2k... 1k is dry by air... thats a lacquer... lacquer drys by evaporation and is NEVER cured and can be rewetted. 2k products use a hardner that causes a chemical reaction that CURES the paint, when cured it cant be softened back.

hell the britts call high speed variable buffers a mop... so there ya go.
we call it lacquer here in new zealand as well