Making Fretboard Inlays

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Making Fretboard Inlays

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Have any of you done your own fretboard inlays? I was thinking of replacing the dots on my V neck with Les Paul Custom style block inlays... is this possible and if so does anyone know how to do it?
Stiltzkin

Re: Making Fretboard Inlays

Post by Stiltzkin »

It's possible :) tricky...but possible ;)
Seeing as most guitarbrands use 'Mother of Pearl' for their inlays,
maybe you should start there? :)

Then it's just a matter of PRECISE cutting and superglue and VOILA :D
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I have done it when the fretboard is already attached and it is very tricky because you need to get the new inlays perfectly level with the board which means getting the original routing out of the board perfect within millimetres...because it is really hard to sand the new inlays level with the frets in

you would be best off getting pre cut inlays ( http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pear ... _Sets.html ) then at least they will be nearly perfectly shaped where as if you cut them yourself its just something else to go wrong :lol: ....

then trace around them on the board and buzz out the wood. Again getting depth exact is tough but not impossible

I would be tempted to just go for stickers ( http://www.inlaystickers.com/servlet/th ... ers/Detail ) .....I have put some on a couple of guitars and yes can feel them a little (mainly if you have small frets) but it isn't annoying
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sytharnia wrote:then trace around them on the board and buzz out the wood
How do you remove the wood?
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
sytharnia wrote:then trace around them on the board and buzz out the wood
How do you remove the wood?
I use a good old fashioned chisel when I did it but you could use a router (although not recommended unless you are really really good with it) or a dremel http://www.testntools.co.nz/dremel-300- ... 30482.html
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Yeah, I have a good Dremel set, but I can see easily destroying the neck with it! f I decide to go through with it, I'll by the inlays from StewMac and use a chisel.

Thanks for the advize
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote:use a chisel.

Thanks for the advize
its a lot easier using a chisel with rosewood to....maple is a pain, when I scalloped my maple board it took 3 x as long as when I did the rosewood :roll:

If you decided to refret the V at the same time it would make doing the inlays a fare bit easier from a sanding/leveling point
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I may refret the V... it doesn't need it, but I've been watching Dan Erlewine's refretting DVD and I'd like to try it. Of course it all is on hold 'til I find a job. I disassembled the V and it's just sitting because I can't afford the supplies for the refinishing.

The Squire Strat in the other post had tremendous buzzing on a couple frets, but I couldn't get the truss rod to budge, so I traded it in on another Strat... this one in in decent condition although I'm thinking the mirrored pickguard has to go!