Where to buy a Pinstripe V?

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Where to buy a Pinstripe V?

Post by Cryptic Night »

I've been looking all over for a pinstripe V because it's a guitar that I've always wanted (Even moreso than the PDV I currently own).

The only place that I've been able to find really is this shady website: http://www.rareelectricguitars.com/Rand ... ar_85.html

They show a very nice looking guitar for a cheap price (I was really tempted to save for it, but then I saw it had a rosewood fretboard and Wilkinson pickups, not to mention that I haven't really seen anything overly good about that site)

I don't have the money yet, but does anyone know where I could get a half decent Concorde Pinstripe V?

I know that that Zoesandra person on Ebay is supposed to be selling some soon, and I know Jackal guitars makes them (I don't really want to have to wait a few years to get one, even though I'm sure it'd be worth the wait).

Any ideas? I don't want a Jackson RR painted similar or anything. I want to have the original body and parts (4 knobs, the switch on the upper body, vintage tremolo, things like that).
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: Where to buy a Pinstripe V?

Post by rice_pudding »

That site looks sort of cool actually, I'd love to get hands on and see what they play like!

They could be on par with half-way house brands. If you are looking to buy a real top rate guitar, obviously look elsewhere, but they could be a fun investment, or something to just stick on the wall.

I worry about their profit margin though :? Producing non-standard spec instruments in limited runs with unique paint jobs is expensive. And the instruments are very cheap imo. Presumably the wood is cheap... Wilkinson pick ups are respectable, a bit better than epiphone/squire and the like, could hardly expect more for that price.

Possibly they are built in China and shipped in. Lord knows we've all seen the Chinese JEM's on ebay :lol:

If they were based in the UK I would actually go and visit them to see for myself. No place I know of in England where you can get a pinstripe V. With a site like that you'd obviously want some serious reassurance. I'm actually looking through their "demos" as I type. They don't sound great, but better than the freak show would expect.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was gonna say, I might consider that concorde for Jake's Christmas
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

It looks cool indeed. That's why I was so tempted.

My main problem is, the description says one thing, while the text if you read it, says something else.

They say it has a basswood body, but also maple. They say it has a rosewood fretboard, but also an ebony fretboard.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

it's all wood :lol:
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

looks like trade tang stuff to me .. Have heard some good things about some of them, but having made in the US on them is really shite

http://www.tradetang.com/wholesale-Soli ... 50702.html
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Cryptic Night wrote: My main problem is, the description says one thing, while the text if you read it, says something else.
The prose for the whole website is a bit off really. It reads like the author was not using his first language and is not a native of western guitar culture.

Much as I don't like to support shit. If they were to sound as good as say a standard Squire (a big if), and have similar build quality, intonation etc. then they are actually pretty... cool :oops: :lol:

I mean it's not like most of us are ever going to afford a Jackson limited edition Pinstripe V, let alone a Frankenstrat reissue, what are they, $20K? Even if i could it would not be my No1 out of principle.

I had a good listen to the demos and they remind me of several low end guitars I have played. I would put money on a basswood body, and I think the pick ups are carrying most of the tone. The neck pickup of the strat certainly had some character which is promising. But overall very mid-tone-ish. If you were to pile on the gain not bad, bet they sound shit clean though.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here is the same thing at a different site. The guitars are made in China at the Epiphone factory... I recently researched the Les Pauls coming from China and apparently they are decent but need tweaking (pickups, pots), I'd imagine this is the same.

Basically, you just have to give it a shot... look up Chinese Gibson reviews for more info on the Chinese repro guitars.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Here is the same thing at a different site. The guitars are made in China at the Epiphone factory... I recently researched the Les Pauls coming from China and apparently they are decent but need tweaking (pickups, pots), I'd imagine this is the same.

Basically, you just have to give it a shot... look up Chinese Gibson reviews for more info on the Chinese repro guitars.
The guitar in that picture looks different.

It's hard to tell, but you can see the pinstripes are off on that one. The knob shouldn't be going over a stripe.

I'm really thinking about getting this guitar, but I just don't want to be let down. I mean, I already know not to expect it to play like Randy's Jackson, but I'm worried that it'll play like shit.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Only RR fans and companies looking to take advantage of them with outrageous prices would notice the knob going over a stripe...

I'm going to buy one next November for a Christmas gift... just have to get a job first.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Paul Wolfe wrote: I'm going to buy one next November for a Christmas gift... just have to get a job first.
Kind of took the words right out of my mouth Paul, I'm actually thinking of maybe saving to get one later in the year - and I also need a job!

Since I got my last guitar two years ago I haven't really thought about buying another. But lately I've been musing about possibly saving a bit and getting something different; a nice tele or an old jazzer. I've also had a growing love affair with this over the last year or so! (minus the signature of course :P )

But one of those cheap RR models could be quite a bit of fun. If they can deliver something in the ball park of a Yamaha Pacifica or an Epiphone I would frankly be quite frilled with it. If not, it would still be something cool to hang on the wall and lark about with on occasion. Well, we'll see! :wink:
Paul Wolfe wrote: The guitars are made in China at the Epiphone factory...
Just wanted to ask... I couldn't find any reference to the Epiphone factory when I looked over the site. Now I could well have missed it, but just wondered if i misunderstood you?

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Only RR fans and companies looking to take advantage of them with outrageous prices would notice the knob going over a stripe...

I'm going to buy one next November for a Christmas gift... just have to get a job first.
Yeah, but I'd notice lol

I think I might get the one from rareelectricguitars.com

Not sure when though, because I don't know if I want to (Or if I even can lol) blow my whole first paycheck on it. I bet my parents wouldn't be very happy with me either haha
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rice_pudding wrote:Just wanted to ask... I couldn't find any reference to the Epiphone factory when I looked over the site. Now I could well have missed it, but just wondered if i misunderstood you?

Rob

No, there's no reference to it on the site, but you can get guitars like this (which says "Gibson" on the headstock) from Chinese suppliers... I checked out a LOT of videos like this[/color] and somewhere I learned that these 'Gibson' guitars were being manufactures at the Epi factories... I found the same James Hetfield explorer on the original poster's link and on the Chinese sites... so I assume that this Concorde is made in the same place based on the price.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

Double post
Last edited by sik_kreations on Thu May 24, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

The guy who built my tribute is down to do them, but if ur on a budget ur guna have to settle for gold plated hardware not brass.. For what I paid in nos hardware I could have bought two concords from that site..

Obviously minus my artwork, but with the right color matched stripes and headstock..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 633&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... e=1&ref=nf
Last edited by sik_kreations on Thu May 24, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.