Building Your Own Guitar

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: Building Your Own Guitar

Post by rice_pudding »

Very cool Paul! I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

if you wanna build ... now is the time :twisted:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Necks-and-Bodies_c_70.html
illiterate bastard

Post by illiterate bastard »

Just saw this thread... and since I'm here I might as well show some of my home builds. I didn't build from scratch, the guitar bodies are from a small builder out of Alabama. I bought the woods and sent them to him in raw form, he did the rest. The necks are all Warmoth. I did the finish work (all tung oil) and assembly/setup, etc..

First one is flame maple over mahogany:

Second one is flamed Claro Walnut over mahogany:

And the third is quilted maple over mahogany. The "ugly duckling" of the three:

sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

illiterate bastard wrote:Just saw this thread... and since I'm here I might as well show some of my home builds. I didn't build from scratch, the guitar bodies are from a small builder out of Alabama. I bought the woods and sent them to him in raw form, he did the rest. The necks are all Warmoth. I did the finish work (all tung oil) and assembly/setup, etc..

First one is flame maple over mahogany:

Second one is flamed Claro Walnut over mahogany:

And the third is quilted maple over mahogany. The "ugly duckling" of the three:

nice stuff man.......I reckon you need to swap the necks with the flamed maple and the walnut. And put zebra P/ups in the maple IMO..YMMV etc
illiterate bastard

Post by illiterate bastard »

sytharnia wrote:
illiterate bastard wrote: nice stuff man.......I reckon you need to swap the necks with the flamed maple and the walnut. And put zebra P/ups in the maple IMO..YMMV etc
Thanks. The fretboard on the flame maple guitar is Pau Ferro, which is dense/hard like ebony or maple but not quite as bright. Thought that might add a little warmth to offset the bright tonal characteristics of the really thick maple top. Personally, I don't care for the feel of most rosewood necks but like the warmth of the tone and I wanted some contrast between body and neck. So I went with Pau Ferro to get the "color" of rosewood but the feel of ebony/maple. Same with the Claro, so I went maple on that one to offset the dark body color.

Funny you should mention zebra pickups though. The claro walnut guitar has a double creme Dimarzio Steve Morse humbucker in it now.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, I finally started on refinishing my no-name V. I'm staying with my mom while she recovers from a broken pelvis, so I have free time to work on it.

Originally I thought I'd paint it black with a Texas Longhorns graphic, but After removing the paint, I'm considering leaving it natural and clear-coating instead. I'm also thinking about changing the pickguard so it covers less of the body and swapping out the chrome hardware with black. Maybe (if I can work up the courage) I'll replace the dots with block inlays like an LPC has.

I removed the paint and clear-coated a V years ago and liked the result... Dan Stout from tk has that one now.
Attachments
guitar 8-27-2012.jpg
no name V.jpg
1st V refinissh.jpg
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

What about doing binding on the body and headstock? Would that be a difficult addition? More importantly, would it look good?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

look good...yes :) ...difficult to add...yes :(
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:look good...yes :) ...difficult to add...yes :(
Which would look better, black or white?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I'd go with white. Matches the natural body :)