How to get the Rhoads sound

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RRFAN123456789

How to get the Rhoads sound

Post by RRFAN123456789 »

How can I get the tone that randy had, on a Fender Stratocaster Mexican Made? I have a cool Digitech effects compressor pedal, and a Fender Blues Jr amp. Any alternate tunings that I need to do (Except for the Eb tuning on Diary) any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
RIP
Randy Rhoads
12/6/1956-3/19/1982
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: How to get the Rhoads sound

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Well, you won't be able to get the tone, but I managed to get close with Strat run through a Rat distortion pedal and an MXR EQ set as follows:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

They key is a Marshall tube-amp cranked beyond it's limits :twisted:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:They key is a Marshall tube-amp cranked beyond it's limits :twisted:
Sure, if you've got the money why not spring for the Marshall RR amp?

I was thinking about going for the sound in a more inexpensive manner.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

you will need a guitar w/ humbuckers @ least & some sort of dirt pedal.

my setup is a les paul,marshall jcm800,MXR Dist+,boss sd-1,vox wah,& rack delay & reverbs.
pretty much nails it.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Sure, if you've got the money why not spring for the Marshall RR amp?

I was thinking about going for the sound in a more inexpensive manner.
Doesn't necessarily have to be the RR model.
You could get pretty close with a regular JCM800 too,
and those can be found pretty cheap :mrgreen:
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

I use a Marshall vs100 amp head and it sounds great and is pretty cheap, I think they go somewhere from 100 to 200 dollars.
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I guess it all depends on your definition of 'cheap' - at this point, $200 is not cheap to me... 'cause I'm unemployed and trying to make ends meet.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I guess it all depends on your definition of 'cheap' - at this point, $200 is not cheap to me... 'cause I'm unemployed and trying to make ends meet.
well I was using 'cheap' as a relative term to the price of the real thing, which is about $3,000, because you wrote that you were thinking about going for the sound in a more inexpensive manner. I was 15 when I bought my amp and had to mow a ton of lawns to get the money.
Mine was $200 at music go round but the price for a used one at guitar center is $99.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Us ... 1246647929
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

TheMrAxeman wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I guess it all depends on your definition of 'cheap' - at this point, $200 is not cheap to me... 'cause I'm unemployed and trying to make ends meet.
well I was using 'cheap' as a relative term to the price of the real thing, which is about $3,000, because you wrote that you were thinking about going for the sound in a more inexpensive manner.

I think you misunderstood... I was joking about Stiltzkin saying you needed a Marshall to get Randy's sound... a 10w combo amp with a distortion pedal and an EQ pedal can give an approximation of the RR sound until the expensive equipment can be afforded...

RRFAN123456789 are you playing in a band or for yourself at home? A 10w amp can get plenty loud at home and can even compete with a drummer... 100w heads and 4x12 cabinets are cool, but unnecessary unless you are playing in larger venues (i.e. not the local pub or school gym)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Paul Wolfe wrote: I think you misunderstood... I was joking about Stiltzkin saying you needed a Marshall to get Randy's sound... a 10w combo amp with a distortion pedal and an EQ pedal can give an approximation of the RR sound until the expensive equipment can be afforded...

RRFAN123456789 are you playing in a band or for yourself at home? A 10w amp can get plenty loud at home and can even compete with a drummer... 100w heads and 4x12 cabinets are cool, but unnecessary unless you are playing in larger venues (i.e. not the local pub or school gym)
Seconded!

If we are talking valve amps, then small is the way to go. I have two 5 watt amps at home ans they are plenty loud for practise. I turn my blackstar up no more than a quarter and it's plenty loud for practice in a small room. I also have an epi valve junior and that makes the house vibrate, hence I can't use it if anyone is in the house. I've never understood why anyone would play a 100watt beast at home, makes no financial sense and buggers your ears. Still each to his/her own.

To get back on topic; RRFAN123456789 I am something of a strat fan myself and to put it bluntly, getting Randy's tone is a struggle with single coils. I've heard a very faithful version of Mr Crowley with the single coils Malmsteen uses, but I've always found it a struggle with everything else. (I am assuming you have single coils).

Using what you have I would definitely use some subtle compression from the digitech, just to thicken up the strat a little. I always find a compressor works wonders with a strat regardless. Roll down the volume and tone on the guitar to control the treble. But try cranking the volume back up for solos. You may also want to try switching strings to 11's, it's a lot of tension on a strat but it sounds good. Also use GHS strings, the midrange characteristics are much closer than other brands I've used in the past.

If I remember correct you can play a blues junior in class A mode by using clean mode (does any expert know for a fact if that is the case, or is it Class AB regardless???) I would experiment using it in this mode, as non master volume always seems to yield a thicker sound imo. You would of course need a pedal for distortion and it could get very loud.

As Paul suggests a MXR 10 band EQ can do a lot of good, totaly transforming your sound and bringing out frequencies that would otherwise go unheard. There are lots of distortion/overdrive pedals on the market, cheap and expensive that could get you what you want but that's a whole debate in itself. If you want to turn your fender amp into a marshal, Rothwell do a very good pedal called the Hellbender that has won widespread acclaim.

But hey this is all my opinion

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

I have a slightly modified Jackson DK2, a Marshall Valvestate VS265 amp, and an MXR distortion 3 pedal.

It sounds similar to the Tribute tone, in my opinion.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I saw this on youtube and had to tell you all about it. The BOSS GT-10 Patches by James Limborg sound pretty damn close.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesLimborg?v=E9Blvz_4zkc
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

$40 a piece for a patch? No thanks. And I didn't find them all that good. Some of them are great. Others sound a little too processed.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

dannyahansen wrote: Others sound a little too processed.
You know, chances are you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between
an amp-modeller and an actual amp on a professional recording ;)