Multi Effects Pedal

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Rosetti

Multi Effects Pedal

Post by Rosetti »

I've been playiong guitar for about a year now and would really like to get more effects pedals. I figured it would probably be easier to get a multi effects pedal.
I'm not sure if this is possible, but i'd really like a pedal that you can record presets and then order them by pedal press
e.g
you start on clean
you press the pedal and it goes to distortion
you press the pedal again and it goes to chorus
you press the pedal again and it goes back to clean
and so fourth

I think it would good to have a device like that because then i could use just that effects pedal and could press the same pedal continuoslyto play a song with multiple effects and/or tones.
I'd really like some advice on what pedals there are.
[img]http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/3/rrtktop2at.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9274/rrytkbottom4pp.jpg[/img]
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

there's a jungle of those kinda pedals,
but my suggestion is to check the BOSS units :)
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Some multi effects pedals sound bad with certain amps. Also with stompboxes you can have one type of distortion for all your needs when with multi effects every patch seems to have a different sounding one (although you can change this easily). I just prefer the simplicity of stompboxes, how you can just plug into a distortion if that's all your going to use rather than plugging in, finding the patch and then turning off everything you don't want and leaving the sounds you do. They are still good, I just think you should maybe look at stompboxes as well, Boss are very good from what i've played, as are Behringer (for the price). If you have a very small budget and want lots of effects either go for Behringers or like you said, Multieffects in my opinion.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

yes, Behringer might be good for someone with a smaller budget
but the quality on their stuff might vary.

I've had 2 Behringer XV-AMPS and both suddenly stopped
working for no reason :(
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Big hot glowing bottles with analog stompboxes is still the way to go! 8)

(take it from somebody who tried lots of 'digital multi crap' for more than 20 years)

*If you want to be able to use different combinations of stompboxes and other devices without tap-dancing all the time, then look out for a digital loop controller like the Rocktron patchmate, so the path stays analog but the route of that path is controlled digital. Also pedals that you don't want to use in certain configurations can be completely by-passed. :)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Rosetti

Post by Rosetti »

Thanks for the help guys, but I think will just save up and buy separate pedals, I suppose it allows for better tone selection, thanks for the feedback though!
[img]http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/3/rrtktop2at.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9274/rrytkbottom4pp.jpg[/img]
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

BOSS GT-6 are very good!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Not to get negative, but the "tone" conversation ALWAYS comes up in these sort of discussions... tone is a subjective thing, so a stompbox isn't necessarilly the better way to go.

I'd say consider your uses of the effects and are you going to play onstage or are you playing in your bedroom? Personally, I play in my bedroom and use a DigiTech GNX2 multi-effects pedal. I can use a huge variety of different sounds, depending on my mood, and I can adjust within each sound to an almost infinite degree... not to mention, it's cheaper than buying all the stompboxes.

The reason some pedals sound bad through some amps, is because some folks get hung up on the "amp modeling" and try to make their amp sound like someone else's amp OR they play through the dirty channel and distort everything the pedal is doing (in my experience).

The only thing I use in addition to the pedalboard is an MXR 10-band EQ - and I only use that because it's there and I've had it for years...

Having said all that, I do agree that my favorite tone is a Les Paul through a ProCo Rat distortion into a Fender Princeton Reverb tube amp... unfortunately, I don't have that amp anymore and I gave my Rat to a friend when I bought the Digitech :D
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

oohh, I had a ProCo RAT once.
It was my first distortion box on top of that :)

looked liked this

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That was my first stompbox as well... I always liked the Rat, good piece of equipment.
fenixdoido

Post by fenixdoido »

If you want a RR style sound, I suggest you using the old boss multi-effects, Boss ME-8.
The sound is just the same as the show of TRIBUTE.
yllektmas

Re: Multi Effects Pedal

Post by yllektmas »

Hello everyone :)

I am new to pedals and haven't really figured out a sound I like yet. I have a Digitech rp-55 but can't seem to get the sound I'm looking for. I've been looking at the Boss ME-70 as per the description it says it has a lot of the classic Boss pedal sounds as well as has a built in expression pedal. This way I can get used to dialing in all the tones separately per the 4 pedals on board. It's only 299 at guitar center and I'm kind of on a budget, so independent pedals are kind of out of my range right now compared to what this has built in.

Have any of you used this pedal? and if so, how did you like it?

Much thanks in advance :)

Yllek
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

i have a zoom g1 that does what you're describing & has good tones.
My96z

Post by My96z »

I have a ZOOM G2.1nu and I love it. I am debating on selling the few stompboxes I do have. I am currently playing with mine to see if I can lock in a good Randy tone (might open another thread to see if anyone has a good patch). This takes some time to play with the settings. I would love to see how this thing sounds through some glowing tubes. A cool thing about multi-effects is you can go to websites and download patches others have made. Some are damn good, some arent. I guess it depends on your ear and what you are playing through.

blues_n_cues - I dont know if you know this, but do you know about this dude? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DQhoiK6o30 he has everyones tones locked in and lists the settings! I wish he had G2.1nu patches!

But I do think a sweet pedal board looks much cooler.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

My96z wrote:I have a ZOOM G2.1nu and I love it. I am debating on selling the few stompboxes I do have. I am currently playing with mine to see if I can lock in a good Randy tone (might open another thread to see if anyone has a good patch). This takes some time to play with the settings. I would love to see how this thing sounds through some glowing tubes. A cool thing about multi-effects is you can go to websites and download patches others have made. Some are damn good, some arent. I guess it depends on your ear and what you are playing through.

blues_n_cues - I dont know if you know this, but do you know about this dude? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DQhoiK6o30 he has everyones tones locked in and lists the settings! I wish he had G2.1nu patches!

But I do think a sweet pedal board looks much cooler.
i haven't seen that before. i get the live tone pretty well on mine but i'll try his settings too & compare.