Gibson Moderne Build

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

ptate
Cool Member

Gibson Moderne Build

Post by ptate »

I have wanted one of these for years and finally decided to build my own after the success of my '58 Les Paul. Great guitar to play, real RnR, plus it's light...!!

Peace.
ptate
Cool Member

Re: Gibson Moderne Build

Post by ptate »

This is what it sounds like clean..... Then full blooded gain.....Yessssssss....! :roll: :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utNPkMr4NdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW9oj_RmRYs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLtKBbiAkk
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Pete

Sounding good! Do you make guitars to order?

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

:lol: nice new avatar Matt
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Looks and sounds fantastic, great job!!!!!!!!!
Ric

ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Whipper wrote:Looks and sounds fantastic, great job!!!!!!!!!
Thanks very much Whipper.... It is quickly becoming my "go to" guitar for faster playing...!!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Hi ptate,

Could i ask what pickups you went for, and is the body mahogany or korina?

Also refresh my memory if you could; the moderne's fingerboard is slightly flatter than a LP right?

cheers and well done!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much. :D

The pups are 30 year old Gibson PAF's and the body is as the "originals" (if one actually exists) and Futura; meaning it's lightweight Mahogany. Korina was used as well, but by all counts most of the prototypes were made of the "red" wood, with Korina spec'd on production models (the V and Explorer).

Moderne fretboards are an unknown, unless they are reissues (1982-3), but should be similar to the LP overall.

I've made mine slightly wider, thicker and "D" shaped in section (along the lines of an early 50's LP), as I believe (just a personal guess) that they were built more on that basis.

Funny, I have owned and played many "shredder" neck guitars, but can play faster on these "tree trunk" necks by far....!!?
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

ptate wrote:Hi Rob,

Thanks very much. :D

The pups are 30 year old Gibson PAF's and the body is as the "originals" (if one actually exists) and Futura; meaning it's lightweight Mahogany. Korina was used as well, but by all counts most of the prototypes were made of the "red" wood, with Korina spec'd on production models (the V and Explorer).

Moderne fretboards are an unknown, unless they are reissues (1982-3), but should be similar to the LP overall.

I've made mine slightly wider, thicker and "D" shaped in section (along the lines of an early 50's LP), as I believe (just a personal guess) that they were built more on that basis.

Funny, I have owned and played many "shredder" neck guitars, but can play faster on these "tree trunk" necks by far....!!?
Ta for the info, i haven't read an article about Moderne's in years.

Gibson do have a way of keeping traditional don't they? Even with a modern instrument.

I have to agree, thick necks are counter-intuitive when it comes to speed. Always seems to defy logic.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

There's a great book by Ronald Lynn Wood strictly about the Moderne (yes, I have a copy) and is well worth buying, just for the read.

I look at decent guitar companies as having an ethos of "if it ain't broke....." :wink: