Crunchlab vs Seymour Duncan JB for SOTD tone.

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

My96z

Crunchlab vs Seymour Duncan JB for SOTD tone.

Post by My96z »

Another tone I really like is Brad Gillis's tone off of Speak of the Devil. Especially in the first song - Symptom of the Universe. I never heard so much beautiful crunch. So I tried looking into Brads setup...

There is not alot out there that I found about his guitar pick-ups. I have heard he used PJ Marxx pick-ups. I tried looking into those and they are pretty much impossible to find.... so I started looking for somthing close. Best I found was the DiMarzio Crunchlab. Sounds like a great pick-up with good tone and crunch. Sounds to me like it was a close fit. Then the other day I heard he used a Seymour Duncan JB for that album and went to the PJ Marxx later. I did some listening and it and damned it if isnt a close fit as well. I just cant find any hard evidence thats what Brad used, but I know that the Seymour Duncan JB was around then and seems like the original pick-up upgrade... Unfortunatley, Brad's site is down or I would shoot him an e-mail.

I would like to hear your opinions, sugestions and reccomendations on the best pick-up to duplicate that crunch and tone on the SOTD, specifically Symptom of the Universe.

The guitar that its going into is a Ibanez Rgr421exfm fixed bridge, mohagany body.

Thanks for your help!