best distortion pedal?

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Art Of Shredding

best distortion pedal?

Post by The Art Of Shredding »

i'm looking for a pedal that will make my amp and guitar sound a bit better .. at the moment i've just got a 50 watt marshall MG50 and a pretty cheap(800 bucs) BC Rich Warlock guitar, i don't think the tone is very good, so i think i need some pedals or just a distortion pedal.. these are the ones im looking at - MXR Distortion +, MXR Wylde Overdrive, MXR Dime Distortion. i don't know anything about these i've never tried playing with them , if you know anything about them and can help me pick the best one ?? thanks..

Last edited by The Art Of Shredding on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Stiltzkin

Re: best distortion pedal?

Post by Stiltzkin »

The Art Of Shredding wrote:these are the ones im looking at
I don't see any :?

anyway, you might want to look into some ampmodelling/multi-fx
units like the V-AMP from behringer ... or a POD :)
The Art Of Shredding

i'm trying to add pics .. but i can't find the thing that says add pic ahah.. how do i add pictures?
The Art Of Shredding

i've seen those pod amp modelling things, but i dont really have 800 bucs to spend .. I've had the same guitar since i first started playing about 4 years ago , so if i had that much money i'd be saving for a new guitar first
Last edited by The Art Of Shredding on Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy
Cool Member

Post by Tommy »

Well, the pod is only like $200, and the dime distortion is $120, the ZW-pedal is $80, and the MXR Dist+ is $60. :wink:
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I dont recommend Amp modelling. People spend £1000s of pounds trying to get the amp modelling equipment then set it to les paul and marshall and wonder why the fuck it dont sound like a les paul and a marshall. they probably could have bought a les paul and marshall for the same amount!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

ProCo's Rat is a very good distortion pedal... another good one that isn't too expensive is the Rockman...
Rosetti

Post by Rosetti »

I reccomend you go into a guitar shop, and try out all the pedals, and see which ones give you the tone YOU want. It doesn't matter what people say about it. I mean you never, you could buy some crap £10 ($15) pedal and get the tone you want, you really have t, you have to try all sorts of pedal out. or at least listen to samples of them. You might also want to look into different pickups
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

The samples are never close enough to the real thing as they should be. I heard some samples of one pedal and they sounded aweful but the pedal itself was pretty cool in real life. Try out the Danelectro T-Bone distortion. I think it's really quite something for the price. No eq on it to mess around with either which I think is pretty cool.
The Art Of Shredding

i'm getting the Dime Distortion but first i got to pay for a new guitar :D
Last edited by The Art Of Shredding on Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
kt88

DOD Overdrive Preamp 250

Post by kt88 »

back in the day I had an MXR and I preferred the DOD overdrive preamp 250...

Now dayz I don't use a pedal, I use a VHT Deliverance, screw the pedals :twisted:
Press 1 for English, Press 2 for a bus back to your own country...
Hays

Post by Hays »

Randy used a MXR Distortio + back in the day...and they can sound good.

But I would have to pick the Boss DS-1. That thing sounds great at Volume 11 or at Volume 2. Its very clean and really rippin at the same time. I cant get over this thing or its price. You can pick em up for under $40 on one of those guitar sites. Hell, Id pay $100 for one. Those things kick!!!!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

i still have my BOSS SD-1 and it works great :)

set everything on full and the drive on none.

:twisted:
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Hays wrote:Randy used a MXR Distortio + back in the day...and they can sound good.

But I would have to pick the Boss DS-1. That thing sounds great at Volume 11 or at Volume 2. Its very clean and really rippin at the same time. I cant get over this thing or its price. You can pick em up for under $40 on one of those guitar sites. Hell, Id pay $100 for one. Those things kick!!!!
Same! It's really brilliant. Everyone used to have one but sounded horrible so I was turned off them for AGES. Then I went to a guitar shop and the guy made me play one, It RULED! The people who sounded bad used to have tone on full and level on really low. What were they thinking... It's one hell of a pedal! I've used multi effects pedal for a while but NONE of the drives on them even come close to the DS-1. The T-Bone distortion pedal is very good as well though.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Rosetti wrote:I reccomend you go into a guitar shop, and try out all the pedals, and see which ones give you the tone YOU want. It doesn't matter what people say about it. I mean you never, you could buy some crap £10 ($15) pedal and get the tone you want, you really have t, you have to try all sorts of pedal out. or at least listen to samples of them. You might also want to look into different pickups
I agree, but be sure to take your guitar along. A different guitar will sound different, so use yours when making your decision.