NEW EPIPHONE LES PAUL RANDY TRIBUTE PROJECT!

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

26bond

NEW EPIPHONE LES PAUL RANDY TRIBUTE PROJECT!

Post by 26bond »

Here's a work in progress of my Les Paul Custom Epi Randy tribute.

Just waiting for some new pick ups then I can have the electrics upgraded to CTS pots/vintage wiring etc.

Hope you like the pics, tell me what else I could do to it to further improve!
Attachments
005.JPG
006.JPG
004.JPG
26bond

Re: NEW EPIPHONE LES PAUL RANDY TRIBUTE PROJECT!

Post by 26bond »

...Also! I know that Poly finishes are nigh on impossible to age/yellow - but if anyone has had ANY luck with one like this let me know! I think the option I have to yellow the finish is a refinish....which would cost what the guitar cost! :twisted:
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Looks great!! I wonder if you could just spray some tint coats over top, along with a few protective clear coats, rather than stripping down and refinishing? You'd still have to wet sand and polish after though.

Could always put a cigarette burn in between the knobs, and well as take a scraper to the back too, like in the pic DMRX's posted: :mrgreen:

Ric

26bond

Post by 26bond »

[quote="Whipper"]Looks great!! I wonder if you could just spray some tint coats over top, along with a few protective clear coats, rather than stripping down and refinishing? You'd still have to wet sand and polish after though.

Could always put a cigarette burn in between the knobs, and well as take a scraper to the back too, like in the pic DMRX's posted: :mrgreen:

Cheers Ric - I'm not so bothered about the relicing as much as the correct tint/colour. What would you recommend to add the yellowed look?
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

No worries, I was only joking about the relicing. I know I wouldn't have the heart to put a scratch on that beauty! :wink:

Tinting is done by coloring clear lacquer with a dye, such as alcohol-soluble aniline dye. A small amount of the 'vintage amber' of these stains might do the trick:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_s ... tains.html

The yellow would be too yellow, unless used lightly and mixed with a tiny amount of brown and/or red I would imagine. I'd consult with someone experienced with tinting and spraying lacquer before trying it on your guitar though, or at least try experimenting on pieces of white plastic.
Ric

TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

i have an 07 epi les paul custom and ive been leaving it next to the window from about 10 o clock AM to 12 o clock AM once a weekend and its been creaming pretty well and it wont crack because it doesnt use the same paint as gibsons
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
26bond

Post by 26bond »

TheMrAxeman wrote:i have an 07 epi les paul custom and ive been leaving it next to the window from about 10 o clock AM to 12 o clock AM once a weekend and its been creaming pretty well and it wont crack because it doesnt use the same paint as gibsons
Thanks for the advice - I'll have a go atthis method! I'll letyou know in 10 years! :lol:
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

lol it actually creams pretty fast i havent done it in a while tho
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

u need a gold tip on your toggle switch the epi comes with a black one i see u took urs off i got one at a guitar convention
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

TheMrAxeman wrote:i have an 07 epi les paul custom and ive been leaving it next to the window from about 10 o clock AM to 12 o clock AM once a weekend and its been creaming pretty well and it wont crack because it doesnt use the same paint as gibsons
Interesting tip, i didn't ever think about that but in theory it should work, lots of everyday objects left in the sun lose their colour. I have a 2004 epi lp custom, but its never really seen sunlight, my room doesn't get any mid-day sun.

Do you have any pictures? would be cool to see the results and how it compares to a nitro finish

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
AeolianMad

Post by AeolianMad »

I too would like to see pics...I have a 2009 epi les paul cutsom. It has every little thing randy had on his. the gold speed knobs, knob indicators, brass switch tip and ring, blank truss rod cover, shaller strap locks, and shaller M6 tuners, all i need is it to turn yellow somehow, and RANDY RHOADS engraved on the pickguard (gone to a few different trophy shops, all of them saying they cant do it.)
12.6.56-3.19.82
26bond

Post by 26bond »

AeolianMad wrote:I too would like to see pics...I have a 2009 epi les paul cutsom. It has every little thing randy had on his. the gold speed knobs, knob indicators, brass switch tip and ring, blank truss rod cover, shaller strap locks, and shaller M6 tuners, all i need is it to turn yellow somehow, and RANDY RHOADS engraved on the pickguard (gone to a few different trophy shops, all of them saying they cant do it.)
The trophy shop I used had to do it with a laser I believe. They wouldnt do it on the store equipment for fear of snapping the plastic. Cost about £10
AeolianMad

Post by AeolianMad »

26bond wrote:
AeolianMad wrote:I too would like to see pics...I have a 2009 epi les paul cutsom. It has every little thing randy had on his. the gold speed knobs, knob indicators, brass switch tip and ring, blank truss rod cover, shaller strap locks, and shaller M6 tuners, all i need is it to turn yellow somehow, and RANDY RHOADS engraved on the pickguard (gone to a few different trophy shops, all of them saying they cant do it.)
The trophy shop I used had to do it with a laser I believe. They wouldnt do it on the store equipment for fear of snapping the plastic. Cost about £10

Thanks for the info!
12.6.56-3.19.82
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

relic'ers have been known to use UV (so lamps or SUNBEDS) to help yellowing...never seen it but have been told by a builder. Obviously you'd have to remove all electronics and hardware...and keep the neck out of there I guess
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

so what pickups are you going for? :)