Sandoval Polka Dot V Copies

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Re: Sandoval Polka Dot V Copies

Post by Axeman1956 »

tell me how the PDV is. I might get one off this guy
theamericanpsycho

Post by theamericanpsycho »

I have ordered my own guitar from zoesandra on ebay. I have spoken with Tim several times on the phone, he's a pretty nice guy and yeah he doesnt make the guitars himself, he is the middleman for an older gentleman that actually makes the guitars. My guitar he said is done and will be shipped to Tim very soon to make the adjustments I wanted done that Tim is able to do. I ordered my own Dimarzio PAF and Super Distortion Pickups for the guitar, ordered black barrel knobs, and a chrome tremolo bar. I also on ebay ordered Randy's replica PDV strap from heavyleathernyc. Rachael is great to deal with, you should check her out, she does OUTSTANDING work. But anyways, the guitar should be arriving possibly sometime next week, I am hoping for the best. I had 2 kids on youtube flame the guitar to death, saying its a scam and to get a refund, yet they couldnt post up and videos or pictures of the guitar, they just went on about how its crap, how the dots are all wrong, how it sounds terrible and the nut needs filed and the fretboard needs leveled. This same kid that made all these complaints I heard tried ripping Tim off and has 2 guitars but wont send the extra back. But back to the subject at hand, I ordered this guitar about a month ago, I will get it next week, custom made to my liking and I will end all doubts and speculations and give an honest review if its worth ordering or not.
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Cool, can't wait to hear from you when you receive it!! I probably won't have mine until the first week of December at least.

You're lucky, I couldn't find a creme colored f-spaced (I went with the Floyd Rose option) Dimarzio PAF anywhere online. Everyone was stating they won't have stock until early December. I was able to get a Super Distortion for the bridge position though. Luckily, I caught a thread here about the pickups Randy used just in time, because a site I had referred to beforehand said both pickups were PAFs on the PDV.
Ric

theamericanpsycho

They were both PAFs? I read in some guitar magazines that he used a PAF in the neck and Super Distortion in the bridge. Even Sandoval said in an interview he used a PAF in the neck because it was lower output and a super distortion in the bridge for higher output because it was a perfect balance of tone. But I saw the receit of the guitar he made for Randy and for pickups it said PAFs, assuming for both slots. But anyways, I found a PAF pickup on ebay for my custom guitar and ordered it. Later did I realize that I didnt actually order a PAF pickup but a PAF 36th anniversary edition pickup. Maybe thats a good thing, but we will find out once I plug the guitar in.

If the guitar actually had 2 PAFs then this would be perfect for you. http://cgi.ebay.com/DiMarzio-F-spaced-P ... 20b52f1a3a F spaced and cream in color like you wanted. Pretty awesome!
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

No, you're right! I mean, the site I first referred to stated it only had PAFs, but just a day or so before I went to order them, I read here on this forum that it was actually a Super Distortion in the bridge position.

Damn, I never even thought of checking eBay! I can change that neck pickup out myself down the road, so no big deal... it just would've been more convenient though.
Ric

theamericanpsycho

Update....I talked with Tim and I am getting my custom made polka dot V next monday or tuesday. He put the pickups in yesterday and is mailing it out today. I will post up on the board how the guitar is in details, from looks, sound, action, etc.
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Tim received mine on Monday too, and is putting the pickup in. You'll get yours well before I get mine though, as they'll be passing it around trying it out at customs for a few days first.
Ric

theamericanpsycho

Its a go. I got my guitar today and it is AWESOME! I must first note that perfectionists will notice a few of the dots towards the end of the wings are off a tad, and the dot on the headstock is only half painted, but other than that, its amazing. I had mine ordered with black knobs, a rosewood fretboard and Dimarzio PAF and Super Distortion pickups. I added my own toggle plate, a black Les Paul style and I switched my tremolo bar out for a solid chrome. But this guitar kicks ass, its gorgeous to look at and it plays like a dream, its as easy to play as a Gibson Les Paul Custom. Its ridiculous how wonderful a guitar you'll be getting for only $800, considering GMW charges $2400 for the same guitar, basically. And once ordered, you only have to wait about 3-4 weeks, not 3-4 months. Tim is a hell of a nice guy to deal with and 100% honest. One hell of a good guitar for the best price you will ever find.
Attachments
The Holy Grail.
The Holy Grail.
My cat loves the guitar too
My cat loves the guitar too
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Awesome!!!! Thanks for the info and pics!!! Mine just entered customs yesterday morning, so it'll be a few days yet at least. Hopefully it will be 'cat approved' too. :mrgreen:

You're right, it's an insanely good price for a hand-built guitar! I'd much rather deal a few dots being a tad off than crappy action and/or sound! Maybe if I was paying $2K+ it would bother me somewhat. And yeah, Tim is really good people! He actually either forgot, or didn't bother to ask extra for shipping to Canada. And when I mentioned it to him and offered to pay him the difference (which was $23 more) because I didn't think it would be fair for him to eat that cost, he just said he'd appreciate it if I did, and to paid whatever I want to.
Ric

theamericanpsycho

Thats a shame about the customs situation, but believe me its worth the wait. The guitar plays like a dream, if I had to compare, it feels like you are playing a Les Paul Custom. Its lightweight, needs barely any adjustments, maybe just tune the guitar up but surprisingly mine was still in tune when I recieved it. Just dont go insane like I did, trying to get it out of the plastic and break a string and cut yourself with it. :lol:
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Yeah, our customs can be brutal, especially this time of year. It actually sat there for at least 10 days! It arrived on Friday, and my wife surprised me not telling me that it arrived, and got it out of the box and set it up on a stand in front of the Christmas tree for when I came home from work that evening.

Well, I absolutely love it!!! Like you said, it plays very similar to my Les Paul too. It was very well set up out right of the box. It sounds sweet, and is simply gorgeous!! The polka dots on this one are perfectly spaced and aligned. It's nuts that this was actually hand-built for just 800 bucks!! Sadly, I still don't play like Randy with it, so I guess I actually have to resort to practicing! Tim was the most pleasant and helpful person I've ever done business with! He was checking up on the customs situation and updating me on it without me even inquiring about it, and I got a really good break with the customs value too.

I've run out of floor space for another guitar stand in our small basement suite, so I have to start using the walls now, and so it's now part of "inspiration corner":

Mine's "cat approved" too!

Ric

theamericanpsycho

OMG dude what is it with this guitar and cats??? Glad you like the guitar though, she certainly sounds and plays sweet :)
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Constuction began on mine today!! I wanna say thanks to you guys for giving some more insight into this guitar. i was wavering but your comments put me over the top to go ahead and purchase one. Mine will have white knobs and traditional bridge. i will post pics when it gets here. Gonna be a dream come true. I can't wait.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
theamericanpsycho

Its really well worth the price, much shorter of a wait than GMW and $800 sure as hell beats $2400. It plays like a dream and sounds killer. The last time I played a guitar that sounded as good and played as good was a Gibson Les Paul Custom. To be honest, maybe this guitar is a tad easier to play. I am so pleased with this guitar that I am gonna try and order a Concorde that Tim will be offering with my income tax return, hopefully he will still be offering them around then. But when a guy stands behind his product the way Tim does, calls you and makes sure you are getting what you want specifically, calls you to update you on the status and forms a good relationship with his customers, thats something you really can't put a price on.
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

can you order directly from tim or do you have to go thru e bay does he have a web site or any info on how to order a pdv from him order form? also does anyone know is you can order one with 22 frets and does this tim guy live in the states or out of state thanks dave
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube