Sandoval Polka Dot V Copies

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Whipper
Cool Member

Re: Sandoval Polka Dot V Copies

Post by Whipper »

My96z wrote:How are these holding up now that you have had them for a bit? I am really itching for a Concorde from Tim...
Mine is holding up fine, and I still love it!
Ric

axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Still love mine.. It travels with me. I play it all the time!
Live Life Stronger Than Death
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I have questions for those who have these. They look great in the pictures. First how well were they set up action wise? What is the neck profile like and how well were the frets dressed? Wondering what tone is like with Floyd Rose also? Also wondering about the volume and tone pots as well as the switch they are putting in them. Are they cheap ones? Is the finish up to snuff? Lastly if you want different pups do you have to buy them and send to the builder?
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Message Tim, he is the cat selling them on Ebay. very friendly and will be glad to give you all the details on the parts. For my style mine plays great. Has kind of a les paul feel on the neck. has pretty Low action.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
SFV 818

Post by SFV 818 »

I have questions for those who have these. They look great in the pictures. First how well were they set up action wise? What is the neck profile like and how well were the frets dressed? Wondering what tone is like with Floyd Rose also? Also wondering about the volume and tone pots as well as the switch they are putting in them. Are they cheap ones? Is the finish up to snuff? Lastly if you want different pups do you have to buy them and send to the builder?

I have to set up mine since, the floyd rose was ship separately due to weight rate. The neck profile is comfortable not thick. Frets are ok, meaning some of the edges are not filed properly but not an issue for me.
I ordered mine with Floyd Rose (it came with license FR not original) with 22 frets.
The volume and tone pots, as well as the switch are cheap. You get what you paid for this guitar.
I already expect this, I have a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts pickups ready for it.
That replaced tone and volume pots (these are all included when you buy the set of SD blackouts active pickups)
Changed the the switch too. The finished is excellent, Don't get me wrong this guitar can kick major butt.

I am new member here and hopefully this will help.
btw: Tim is the Man!!!!
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

Thanks, I am thinking about one of these. Probably the best course of action if you want a moderately priced PDV.
moonchild77

Post by moonchild77 »

Hello everyone. I've been a member here for a long time but never really posted.
I've read all your reviews on this guitar and decided to order one today. I've talked to Tim for about a week and sent him the money this morning. I'm very excited and can't wait to get it. I've been wanting this guitar since I saw Randy on the Blizzard Tour Aug. 2, 1981.
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Congrats moonchild, and I'm sure you'll love yours too! I forgot to answer distortionplus's questions, so here goes...

Yes, the components are all inexpensive. You may want to get an original Floyd Rose, as he puts on a licensed FR otherwise, which I'm not too fond of. It can easily be replaced with an original afterward, but may be cheaper for you. He'll probably still charge extra because of the extra routing required. As for tone, it's as good with the FR, if not better, than my Jackson RR1 with a FR! And yes, if you want better pups, you'll need to send them to Tim, and when he gets the guitar from the builder, he'll replace them and send the originals along with the guitar to you. The cheap pups it comes with are actually quite surprisingly good sounding.

The neck profile does feel much like a Les Paul. The frets on mine were well dressed, and the action and intonation were good. There wasn't a dead spot anywhere on the fingerboard, or any bad buzzing on any note. The finish looks stunning! Nicely polished to a mirror glaze. If were to get anal, I'd point out that the dots were masked a little bit rough around the control cavity on the back, and the cavity cover plates edges were a little rough looking as well, but that's really about it! Considering price for a hand-built guitar, it far exceeded my expectations! I'm certainly thrilled I could get this one, rather than have to spend $3K on GMW's version!
Ric

moonchild77

Post by moonchild77 »

Thanks. I can't wait. Will it fit in a standard V hardshell case?
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Damn it, you people are spreading some major GAS for polka dot V's!

And I ain't got no money :cry:

LMAO, in actual fact i'm thinking of building one myself or maybe modding a flying V.

Hope you all enjoy the guitars!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
SFV 818

Post by SFV 818 »

@ Moonchild get a Stagg Flying V hard case it's around $125 -$130 (US $) it will fit.
moonchild77

Post by moonchild77 »

SFV 818 wrote:@ Moonchild get a Stagg Flying V hard case it's around $125 -$130 (US $) it will fit.
Thanks. This one here?
http://www.staggmusic.com/products/prod ... &oneid=705

How about this one? Has anyone tried it?
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=581664
SFV 818

Post by SFV 818 »

Moonchild
you got it, that's what I have. It fits my RR PDV and my home made RR tribute guitar.
moonchild77

Post by moonchild77 »

SFV 818 wrote:Moonchild
you got it, that's what I have. It fits my RR PDV and my home made RR tribute guitar.
Thanks. I'll check it out once my PDV comes in. How much room do you have for storage? Enough for the strap, extra strings and the tremolo bar?
SFV 818

Post by SFV 818 »

Moonchild,

Yes the Stagg is the one. You'll have enough room for those accessories.

Musicians Friend's Flying V case(16.50" wing tip to tip) will be tight I think, our RR PDV are 17"