angry crybaby

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

angry crybaby

Post by rice_pudding »

Hey all,

i recently got out my vox wah (standard unmodded v847), i hadn't used it in about two years, i had some cracking fun actualy, but the pedal has some serious issues.

Whenever the wah is engaged i get an almost continuous, "croacking" hum. The exact sound is a mix between someone playing with the end of a live instrument cable and the disrtiest pick scrape i've ever heard, mixed with occasional howling.

I checked the cables used and know that the amp and axe are flawless (the guitar was a solidbody for the record.) The pedal has been rarely used since i bought it, its been stored well so moisture cant be an issue i had a quick look inside and there was no obvious visible problem.

Im wondering if perhaps the variable pot itself is to blame, since it is the only moving part?

Im thinking of modding a lot of my pedals in the near future, including making the wah true bypass, im not afraid of some solder! I dont mind picking this mo fo apart if i have but i just need to know what the problem is.

For the first time i actualy realy like the sound of wah and now it dies LMAO

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: angry crybaby

Post by rice_pudding »

PS.

I know that the vox wah's pick up radio signals, mine has in the past but this is a whole different kind of evil :twisted:

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Hey Rob .. I have a feeling it's in your switch , does it switch in & out cleanly ? , open it up and just make sure everything in nice and tight with things like the jack sockets , switch , Pot ... check all your solder joints on those items and perhaps spray a little contact cleaner ( if you have or can get a hold of some ) into the pot , good luck !
................................................................Image...............................................................................
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

cheers Ritchie,

Will have a look as soon as i get a spare moment, life has been manic the last couple of days :)

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk