The new RR5FR and friends

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Oinku

The new RR5FR and friends

Post by Oinku »

It has Tom Andersons in it and I am working on the neck finish still ,dont like the brand of Tung Oil I started with probably going to use Dainish Oil next its a little harder cure.
Attachments
Guitars 002.JPG
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: The new RR5FR and friends

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I wish I had one ounce of DIY skill; nice work

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Oinku

Post by Oinku »

SANY0005.JPG
]Hey Matt any moron can finish a neck with oil really ! I have a real guitar guy does all the work I just have a oiled neck fixation ! Its really easy remove the poly/nitro/paint starting with 80 grit wood sandpapper git down to bare wood will take quite alot of sanding , you might want to tape a straight line on the headstock and where the neck meets the body if you are finicky.Then you just go up in grit 120,220,320,400,600 , scotch gaurd scrubbies (fine) or xxxx steel wool are handy for final rub. Once you get to 400 or 600 rub oil in with your hand/lint-free cloth let dry.I have the opinion you never need more then 800 grit sandpaper to finish.Generally stop at 600 myself.Different woods will absorb oil differently ,mahogany is more porous it will take alot of oil and become shinier ,Maple is harder and has a tighter grain absorbs less oil slower and takes more coats. Try it out you will never want another finish on a neck ! One issue you can get is that alot of people dont use quartersawn wood for necks unless it is specifically asked for (which to me is just stupid) So you can have a higher chance of warping ,thats one of the main reasons necks are sealed.Hope this gives you some insight into having more fun playing with guitars !!!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Would it not be easier and quicker to use liquid paint stripper to get the layers of paint removed before using the different grades of glasspaper / wire wool.
Oinku

Post by Oinku »

Quicker yes, but I refuse to put chemicals on wood just a personal preference.Think I just enjoy having a sore shoulder , arm and hands too!!