Guitar Pickup Advice

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Norselaw

Guitar Pickup Advice

Post by Norselaw »

I just bought a Epiphone Les Paul Custom. The alcino pickups on it just sound kind of mediocre. Does anybody have any insight as to what pickups might be good to add to achieve Randy's "Tribute" tone? Are some of the same pickups he used still for sale or is there something else with similar tone? This is the best forum I've ever been apart of so I know someone out there has the knowledge I seek!
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I am not sure exactly what pick-ups Randy had in his Les Paul but I'm sure someone here does. The 57 classics (i think thats right) that Gibson make would probably be a good starting point or a PAF, my personal choice for a Les Paul of any type would be Suhr Doug Aldrich signatures which are higher output pick-ups than what come stock in Les Paul Customs. Again, I'm sure someone here can tell you exactly what Randy had in his custom, I'd like to know myself and I whole-heartedly agree with you, this is the best forum I've been a part of also.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
rrhoadsfan

Post by rrhoadsfan »

I'm not sure either? I would like to know though!
I've just entered this competition http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/competition/jackson I hope I get a new guitar preeeetty soon!
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Randy had " T tops " in his LPC
................................................................Image...............................................................................
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

A Gibson 57 classic in the neck and 57 classic + (for a tad more gain) seems to be generally recognised as the best option for imitating Randy's Les Paul.

For a cheaper alternative you could try seymour duncan's paf alike, the sh2. Its a pretty standard pickup these days. I wouldn't use a JB bridge pickup, many people put them in Les Pauls, but they suck out the instruments natural character IMO.

I use a seymour duncan Pearly Gates at the bridge on my Les Paul. Its unlike a standard PAF, it has a lot of midrange, a bit of extra output and shitloads of high frequencies. However without using effects pedals it could be the better means to immitate Randy's tone, precisely because of the midrange. Pearly Gates come with mids attached, they will get you an AC/DC or ZZ Top sound with ease.

As a fellow Epi Les Paul owner, i would strongly recommend replacing all the electronics. It might sound drastic, but you can buy complete wiring kits with Orange drop capacitors for around £30 and thebenefits of this upgrade are huge.

When i put in replacement pickups, i noticed an improvement in clarity, definition and gain, but the tone pots were useless and the pearly gates always had too much treble. New electronics has really ramped up the versatility of the instruments + tone is thicker, no ear piercing high end and even better definition.

Pickup replacement is always an agonising decision, as you cant simply "try out" different models. I took almost an entire year before eventually deciding on my setup. If you are in doubt stick to the basics and get a decent set of PAF's

The Gibsons are overpriced (last time i looked), but they would be the most accurate.

For more advie have a look at the seymour duncan forums, they are packed with opinions and tips.

Rob
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

SHED pickups in Wales. Awesome and hand made (genuinely). Spence is a great guy and his pups are some of the most revered out there (plus the price is very "cheap" for what they are...!!).

I've got some P90's, vintage correct and he makes PAF's as close as you can get.

As an aside, he rewound a couple of genuine T-tops I had and worked on tidying up my PAFs (real ones...!!).
Norselaw

Post by Norselaw »

ptate wrote:SHED pickups in Wales. Awesome and hand made (genuinely). Spence is a great guy and his pups are some of the most revered out there (plus the price is very "cheap" for what they are...!!).

I've got some P90's, vintage correct and he makes PAF's as close as you can get.

As an aside, he rewound a couple of genuine T-tops I had and worked on tidying up my PAFs (real ones...!!).
Thank you very much!! Your knowledge is tremendous. Do you have a myspace or anything up with your playing on it? I'd like to check out your tone.
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Hi Norselaw,

Just take a look at the music section in here and there's some crap playing in my sticky "Plate" ....... :lol:

The main things to consider with pickups are the windings and magnets. T-tops wire changed, as did the magnets, from early PAFs (as such, output was slightly hotter), so you need to ensure that any you buy are modelled on the correct output/field strength.

BTW, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better either....!!
quadrastudios

Re: Guitar Pickup Advice

Post by quadrastudios »

From my experience and the suggestion of Seymour Duncan, I would go with a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. This is very close to Randy's setups on his Guitars. The Black Jackson , the Concorde had Seymour Duncan Distortions in the bridge and Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck. I find the Duncan Distortion a little too hot for a Les Paul. The V had Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. Never knew what neck pickup was in that guitar. The Les Paul was not modified. The pickups were stock. The JB is a hot pickup but a little tamer than the Duncan Distortion. Perfect for the Les Paul. Just my 2 cents.
quadrastudios

Post by quadrastudios »

Here is an example of my tone. I use a Gibson Les Paul Classic With a Duncan JB and a Jazz going through a 1972 Marshall Plexi modded with a Master volume and a Marshall cabinet with Altec 417-8c's.
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

that is a lovely chunky tone there; nice! also so nice to hear some music from one of our newer members!

C'mon everyone don't be shy!!! We are all a friendly bunch
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
chasmcneal

Post by chasmcneal »

i have a dimarzio evo II in the bridge of my les paul, and i love it!

here is a rough clip recorded with a 20 dollar pc headset. the amp is a 50 watt 1987xl plexi clone, and i have a 10band eq and a tonebone hot british on as well.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/76642226bc5d9bb4/
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

quadrastudios wrote:This is very close to Randy's setups on his Guitars.
atleast one of his guitars :lol: