New guitar!!!!!!!!

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

New guitar!!!!!!!!

Post by rice_pudding »

Hey everyone,

just spent the whole day testing instruments at a local shop, and eventually came home with a Fret King Super 60

http://www.fret-king.com/super60hbig_spec.html

I wasn't expecting to come home with a Fret King, but damn, the thing blew my head off!!!

I went out looking for a fender, but despite my high expectations, the two fenders i tried were shit... I was a little dispondant to say the least, but i knew Fret King had a good rep, and noticed the shop stocked a couple so i thought what the hell!

Hours later and im still smiling :D :D :D

I've never heard such definition and response from a guitar, i dont know how trev wilkinson did it! Im not exagerating when i say it destroyed the fenders! It has a thenomenal clean sound, like you expect from a strat, and the smoothest drive i've ever heard. But just dig in a little more and it screams Van Halen/ Ozzy :shock:

I played it on a blackstar HT-5... No pedals, Flat EQ - and it sounds better than anything else i've ever touched!

I also tested a Fret King Eclat and a Brian May Standard - both fantastic instruments.

But this thing is the shit!

Rob
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Hey Rob congrats dude .. are Fret-Kings big in Europe / UK ? can't say that they're available here in the U.S .. anyhow glad you love it .
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

congratulations Rob!! Lets hear her
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Funny, I just saw a Lee Hodgsen video from Lick Library and he was playing one of those... I was wondering what it was since I'd never seen one.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Ritchie wrote:Hey Rob congrats dude .. are Fret-Kings big in Europe / UK ? can't say that they're available here in the U.S .. anyhow glad you love it .
I dont think Fret King are especially big anywhere??? But wherever the brand goes it quickly establishes a reputation. The model i have is made in Korea, surprise, surprise :shock: Its part of the more affordable Blue Label range.

Fret King also have a more expensive Green Label range, basically a UK custom shop. They had one in the shop, it looked amazing but £1,500 was out of my price range.

Fret King was first set up more than 10 years ago in the US but various problems left it up the creek without a paddle... however Wilkinson, the owner, is regarded as one of the best guitar designers ever, as i understand it, even Fender and PRS consult with him and ask advice.

Recently he has worked for two brands owned by JHS, a major british distributor; Encore and Vintage. I suppose that after his great work JHS were willing to open up a high end production line with him.

But since its JHS, i doubt the guitars will be common outside of England. Eiher way Fret King is a small operation, i've only ever seen 4 Fret Kings in the UK.

Rob
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:congratulations Rob!! Lets hear her
I have a shit load of work at the weekend; recording two film soudtracks. But with all my gear set up... i will try to find 5 mins to put it through its paces.

At the moment im adicted to the middle pickup, never had such a great range of tone from one position before.

Rob