Very Sad News

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Just to clarify, I do not work for Peavey, I just know alot of people who do and also, no one who has posted anything about this has offended me. I appreciate all of the response that has been given, it's good to know other people care about my concerns just as I care about all of yours.

Ted
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Paul Wolfe wrote:The problem I have with the "it's business, not personal" mentality is that the moment you hire someone to work for you it becomes personal because you are now helping that person secure the future of their family. Many - not all - business owners don't care about their employees and do sell out to make a bigger profit. These same employers bitch when the employees are working for a paycheck as opposed to the betterment of the company.

Anything that anyone does which has an effect on someone else's life is personal, to claim otherwise is simply a cop out so you don't haave to feel guilty for screwing people.
I appreciate what you're saying Paul, as everyone (even the owners/CE's/bosses et al) are human beings with private finances that are dependent on their trade. The issue here is the differentiation between what a business "is" and the perceived boundaries of personal interaction and reward.

A business really is nothing personal; simply put, it is input-throughput-output, nothing more. Anyone within that cycle is a "number" who has a job to do. In turn, there is reward, in payment for that service. No personal relationship exists at that level. "Working for a paycheck" is not an issue, is quite correct and, if the company is structured correctly, will not present a problem. It is the staff who take sick when they are not ill, drag their feet, complain incessantly, affect morale and so on, who really deserve to be sacked. These type of people illustrate a one-way (the staff member attacking the business), "personal" interaction which is not the companies right to resolve; it is the individuals right to control.

A company "owner" has every right to do whatever they want with their business (as you say), without contemplating the knock-on effect to staff as (pretty much) any job is transient by nature, as is personal security. If a member of staff does not perform, or has not secured their own future by taking out insurance, expanding the scope of their experience/knowledge etc. that is their problem, not the companies.

Most businesses do tend towards the individual and accomodate their staff (it doesn't sound like it, but I do..!). However, there is the perfect right to view the business as a seperate entity which, in most cases could be automated and depersonalised, negating any effect presented by personality.

An analogy: Your home is your home and not for anyone to adversly affect. You can sell it, destroy it, rebuild it, move it, paint it, rename it etc..... At the end of the day it is yours, irrespective of who you have residing there. There are rules which must be followed and legislation that defines the way you treat those inside. As long as you meet the law, you can do what you please. What right does anyone living there for free have to affect your decisions? The only way that you would change your mind, is at your discretion. However, if you were offered something in return (rent, painting, cleaning etc.), you would have to consider the proposal. Yet, should they just choose to complain, offer an unreasonable argument, cause trouble and add to your overheads (e.g. by leaving lights on, wasting water etc.) and present you with nothing beyond what you can secure elsewhere for less hassle, what would you do.......Evict them, sell up and move; or just swallow the problems and pay up??

This thread is an excellent read and a very good insight into business views from a variety of sources. :D

Peace....Take it easy.

Pete
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Perhaps Peavey might keep a 'custom shop ' facility operational here in the U.S focusing on higher end instruments and have their budget models made in China ?? or is the factory in MS completely closing ?
................................................................Image...............................................................................
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Nope,

Custom shop is gone, already been took off the web-site. I was told that the core group from the custom shop was kept but that they did not see U.S. production returning in the forseeable future. They do still show a U.S. model HP Special, but that will go away to as all of those were built in the custom shop.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

tedeeoo wrote:Nope,

Custom shop is gone, already been took off the web-site. I was told that the core group from the custom shop was kept but that they did not see U.S. production returning in the forseeable future. They do still show a U.S. model HP Special, but that will go away to as all of those were built in the custom shop.

:( that's a real shame
................................................................Image...............................................................................
RRFAN123456789

Re: Very Sad News

Post by RRFAN123456789 »

To me the best way to go would be Fender, Gibson, or Epiphone if you want American made.
RIP
Randy Rhoads
12/6/1956-3/19/1982
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

RRFAN123456789 wrote:Epiphone if you want American made.
don't think epiphone are USA made....well not since 1970 anyway :wink:
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

RRFAN123456789 wrote:To me the best way to go would be Fender, Gibson, or Epiphone if you want American made.
Epiphone is over seas version of Gibson. I am not aware of any Epiphone models currently USA made excpet for maybe a limited edition John Lennon model.

Also dont forget Carvin. They are awesome and you can get loads of custom options. I am a huge fan and a recent convert of Carvin. bought an St300c 2 years ago and I love it.
oth
Mass Poster

Re:

Post by oth »

ptate wrote:I'm going to put my "boss" hat on for this :shock:.

Peavey, as the example, are a business and it really is nothing personal; money wins, hands down :cry: .

I, personally, suffer a great deal from half-arsed staff, with a lackasdaisical attitude to instruction and a woeful sickness/union/human rights/anything else to make it difficult record...UK's great for that..!! Human resources, legislation, litigation, taxes, rights and poor governance is to blame for the move to other countries who have less economic or social baggage.

Peavey are just one in a long line of industries that understand that they can procure goods and services, far better at times, than their traditional sources, for less and with less hassle.

In terms of sales, as Cap'n Matt says, most people will buy whatever they like, especially if it is stylish, cost effective and arrives at the right time; irrespective of the country of origin.

We live in a global economy (so we're told) and businesses will source outside their country of origin, if it means they can survive or profit from it...!! Occasionally (in terms of instrument sales) they may set up a custom arm for "origin" made instruments, but that is often when the industry/economy stabilises and finance is not as much of an issue - who knows?

At the end of the day, Peavey should have a QA system in place which means their products don't suffer. Maybe they'll return to the USA one day, when the government realises that it has to reduce policy and the financial suffering on business just to beat recession, help it's people and progress as a nation.

Hat off now, brain out........ Back to guitar......aaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! :D
China is about greed and exploitation and no standards of living(communism) in their society.It is ruled by fear.Human life is worthless there.Thats why you can be executed for protesting against the govt.Companies lobbied (bribed)for this opportunity to knock down barriers and regulations for their bottom line at the expense of workers here.This is what tariffs and trade barriers were made for. And now 20yrs later we see the results-permanent high unemployment,falling wages,high poverty,zero benefits.Its a race to the bottom.

China is not about homegrown talent or products made with passion or creativity.You will never see an innovative or revolutionary company come from there.They are about duplication,imitation and hi volume output,low wages.China Inc. is soul-less.You will never see a company rise from someones backyard or garage like apple or prs or jackson guitars because everything there starts at a massive factory with thousands of unpaid slaves.

This isnt a xenophobic rant this is an anti 'free-market,invisible hand crap' rant.The Chinese are fine people its their govt and our govt and transnational companies obsessed by greed screwing workers and society in general for the bottom line so the CEOs and politicians of the world can cruise around in their private 300ft yachts from malibu to monaco.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Stiltzkin

Re: Re:

Post by Stiltzkin »

oth wrote:
ptate wrote:govt and transnational companies obsessed by greed screwing workers and society in general for the bottom line so the CEOs and politicians of the world can cruise around in their private 300ft yachts from malibu to monaco.
...and how is this different from your government? Mine? or any other government for that matter?

Money talks and that won't change anytime soon :wink: