I chose the woods for my new Guitar!!!

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

I chose the woods for my new Guitar!!!

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Yesterday I met my guitar maker Keith Turkington.

He is going to build me a satin gypsy jazz guitar with a D hole...and like my Steve Vai Acoustic, will have 24 frets.
We went through various sounds yesterday evening and have decided on the following woods.

Honduras rose wood for the body, triple A spruce for the top, ebony fret board while the neck will also be Honduras rose wood.

The sound hole will have miniature Horses surrounding it :) :)
I am VERY excited!!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

Thats good news Matt :)

I've always wanted my custom accoustic that i designed to be made into a working acoustic, but price is always a problem.

Simon
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

JustTakeAPebble wrote:Thats good news Matt :)

I've always wanted my custom accoustic that i designed to be made into a working acoustic, but price is always a problem.

Simon
Simon,

Don't forget those lovely interest free student loans. Most students throw them down their neck anyway..at least you would have something to show for it!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matt,

You lucky bastard! you must be like a kid waiting for santa :D 8)

If you get a chance i'd like to hear why you picked that wood selection?

Simon,

Look into my eyes :shock: use the power of the loan :P

Rob
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

That'd be Honduras Mahogany Mattie ;-)
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

LOL, probably me . I am sure I dictated it correctly though, I must have written it wrong.

Yes Rob, extremlely excited; so excited if it works out well I have a load of other guitars that i want to get made. A nice archtop based on say a es175 or a Byrdland, a flamenco guitar, a more powerful Classical guitar!!

We went through the guitars he had and discussed the type of tone and feel. For a manouche guitar I like it to sound really gutsy and punchy..so loads of volume! The steel strung and Classical guitars he has made are not only beautifuly balanced but are as loud as hell!

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Mattie there are 2 types of traditional R/wood , Brazillian which is hard to come by these days and very expensive and there's Indian which is commonly used in most brands of guitar . Honduras mahogany is found in your Gibson type guitars and Honduras dose'nt grow Rosewood .
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Ritchie

cheers for the info, it is great having someone who knows about all this stuff on the forums ,because I sure as hell don't LMAO...I just know what sounds nice!

My Tony Johnson Classical specs are Brazilian rosewood back and sides, engelmann spruce top, Rodgers tuners and ebony fretboard. It is very loud and also very responsive.

Matt
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Ritchie wrote:Mattie there are 2 types of traditional R/wood , Brazillian which is hard to come by these days and very expensive and there's Indian which is commonly used in most brands of guitar . Honduras mahogany is found in your Gibson type guitars and Honduras dose'nt grow Rosewood .
Just as an addendum (great sounding gypsy acoustic BTW), the Honduran Mahogany is a protected species, so you will not find any in general use. Only trees that have fallen foul of nature are allowed to be used and exports are EXTREMELY limited.

Lets hear the beast in action with some Django.....
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Plate

Since then Ritchie has seen the link and has said words to the affect of "I'll be damned"
Honduras Rosewood not only exists, but Cpt Matt shall have it (it has been acquired :) me heartey) LOL

http://www.cgsmusic.net/Anatomy%20of%20 ... Guitar.htm

The woods' (wholesale prices) are coming in at around £400.

Matt
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Sweet.......

That's the problem with the traditional south american timber's now, they are becomingn more difficult to obtain and come from replanted areas, or
natural felling.

Read an article recently that stated that Mahogany may be completely restricted in the next few years, and secondary tonewoods used in it's place.......Scary, especially to a Les Paul freak like me.........
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Hey Matt,

Just reading through my back copies of Gt and there was a letter in the Spring 2009 issue that asked about guitars built from endangered species, such as Brazilian Rosewood........

The response said, should you wish to take it out of the UK, you will be called on to prove that the CITES treaty had not been breached, meaning that the owner will be called upon to prove that the materials used in their instrument were obtained legally and not through illegal trading...!!!

You also need to apply for correct permits (can take up to 3 months) and be aware that you could have the guitar impounded until you prove all this to a court..Phew.

The US is particularly stringent with this apparently.......
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Plate

I just spoke to Keith and he said yes it can be very difficult getting hold of it. The best bet he reckoned was buying it from a store house that has it purchased before it was illegal. He said he prefered Honduras as a second choice and then Indian Rosewood.

I should give you both each others contact details LOL, I just know what I like when I hear it :)

Matt