Thinking of a 2fer1 trade Epi&Gibby for LPC

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

espvh

Thinking of a 2fer1 trade Epi&Gibby for LPC

Post by espvh »

Does that sound doable, or am I off the mark?
1 1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard, great shape
&
1 1989 MIK Epiphone Les Paul Custom, slightley worn & aging nicely,
for a '70's Alpine white Gibson Les Paul Custom.

What do you think?

Last edited by espvh on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

i say keep'em
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

A couple years ago I bought a Gibson Les Paul custom alphine white. The guitar looked great for sure! Just as yours. But I sold it after six months because it really lacked sustain and it didn't sound that good imo compared with other guitars I have.

So I say try that other guitar first and then keep the guitar that sounds and feels the best! :wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Buy the Custom.

The standard and Epi are nice axes, but they obviously aren't what you want (by the nature of your post).

I've got two 1970 Gibson LP Deluxes, an '04 Custom Shop Custom (Alpine White), two relogoed copies and have owned at least another four Epi's/Gibson standards etc. They are/have all been fantastic guitars, but I knew which model I "needed" (the Custom) and nothing would fill that gap.

As an aside, the '70 model will go up in value eventually and it will always be the "real deal".

Lack of sustain?????????? Solid mahogany/maple (not the originals)......???? I think there may have been other issues there Dutchman. Good point about trying it first though..........
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

ptate wrote:Lack of sustain?????????? Solid mahogany/maple (not the originals)......???? I think there may have been other issues there Dutchman.
Yep a real Gibson Les Paul Custom. When I compared it with other LP's it had the sustain of a banjo! Also the pick up selector gave problems after a week, but was repaired after a week I got it. The binding around the fretboard was not that well attached either. I think I was just unlucky to stumb on a poorly build guitar. I guess I was too impulsive when I bought it since I liked the look so much! But next time I will be more cautious before I buy such an expensive guitar. :wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
moparman64

Post by moparman64 »

ptate wrote:Buy the Custom.
+1
2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony w/gold hardware and emg 81/85 pickup set
2001 Squier Strat Artic White w/ Seymour Duncans
2008 Squier P Bass Red
2009 Epiphone Les Paul Jr Vintage Sunburst
espvh

Post by espvh »

Is a newer LP better that a 70's?
'Scuse me tarbender, take me drunk, I'm home!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

espvh wrote:Is a newer LP better that a 70's?
Most likely but there are always production inconsistencies, if i remember correctly 70s LP's were not remarkable guitars, so keep that in mind.

i would keep what you have if you are happy with it.

Rob
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Don't listen to the "seventies" garbage concerning Gibsons.

During the mid seventies, Gibson production changed from Kalamazoo to Nashville and they were bought out by Norlin Industries. A number of things changed; some say for the better, some for the worse (depends which side fo the fence you are on). For example, some bodies were made out of three piece "pancake" construction, i.e. Mahogany back, thin Maple strip, Mahogany front, then a multiple piece Maple cap. Allegedly this was a strengthening issue. as were three-five piece necks (all mahogany). Some necks changed to Maple later on, then reverted to Mahogany.

Some folk thought it was too radical (and a few still do). However, bear in mind that Gibson sold plenty of them, and a lot are still in use now. As well as that, Randy's was a seventies model ('74?), Zakk uses Maple necks and many of the best guitarists you've heard used "Norlin" models.

WORD OF WARNING:

Do not be put off by people who do not know any better. Choose you axe by doing research and playing it; only then will you know it's the one.

Think I'm talking rubbish; well I own two 1970 Les Paul Deluxes; albeit they were made at Kalamazoo (Gibson hadn't moved at that point). they are pancakes and have a lot of the same features. Quality is not an age-related thing. Any guitar you buy will have been around the block by now, so you know it should be worth a look.

I also own an Alpine White -04 Custom Shop Custom, which, apart from the sticker, isn't any different from a production model, still plays the same as my seventies ones and three chinese fakes.......!!!!

Good Luck on your quest.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

ptate wrote:Choose you axe by doing research and playing it; only then will you know it's the one.
I agree with this 100%... go play a few and decide, it's a lot of money for a Les Paul Custom (even as a trade), so as much research as possible is wise.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
espvh

Post by espvh »

A lot of good points here, I saw a white LPC online, the guy wants 5g's! Maybe I'll just keep my standard, I did have it for 10 years, and it is solid, the grass is always greener right......
'Scuse me tarbender, take me drunk, I'm home!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

It might be worth mentioning that Gibson recently (last couple of years) reviewed their production and quality control to try to catch up with brands like PRS & Fender and it is now at a much better standard.

They also go through less third party groups to get their product to market which means lower costs especialy in europe.

Many experts now consider that there has never been a better time to own a Gibson.

Rob