Gibson ES 330

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Gibson ES 330

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I spent the weekend at a party and the host had 2 Gibson 1960's ES330's and also a Byrdland.

All were exquisite but the ES330 really caught me!

I hardly play rock anymore, only to keep my teaching standard up, so I do desire a nice Jazz Guitar.

this baby is in my sights

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product- ... +Inc.+Case
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!

A few years ago, I was all about getting a hallow body. But before I was able to get a hollow body, I had to get some money. I hate it when that happens. :lol: Maybe someday though. Although they
may be not the first choice for rock n roll type music, I don't think they sound bad at all super distorted. 8)
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

funny you go GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE nic :)

I've been like that with a Ibanez JEM i just love the "vine of life" patterns over the fretboard.

Simon
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Matt I personally think you would be better off with a ES-175 or a ES-137 BTW I am LOVING my Ibanez , i put a set of heavy guage flat wounds on and it sounds mellow and awesome !
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Ritchie

what do you prefer about those two models?

I like the Herb Ellis model too. I will use the next several months to keep playing, I loved the warmth of the 330 with P90's but the frets so small scale of the Byrdland was magnificent too!!

Here is the Herb Ellis Guitar
Attachments
SHHERBELLIS1.JPG
SHHERBELLIS1.JPG (7.84 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

NicDots wrote:Although they may be not the first choice for rock n roll type music, I don't think they sound bad at all super distorted. 8)
Chuck sure seemed to like them when he invented rock and roll guitar (sorry Nuge, I know you claimed to invent it).

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I think EVH claims to have played one in his formative years as well.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:
what do you prefer about those two models?

I do prefer a Florentine C/A purely for cosmetic reasons . The ES-137 shares a body depth similar to the 330 ( 1 3/4") which is better if you want to play loud rock stuff occasionally , The ES-175 on the other hand has a full body depth of 3 3/8 " a trapeze tailpiece and a much nicer tone acoustically and for jazz playing .
:)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

ES 175 would be more up my street by the sounds of it.

cheers Ritchie

Matt
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

No problems at all Matt , here is a link to a friend of mines website , he has 2 killer ES-175's for sale at awesome prices ! check them out :

http://grinningelk.com/productDetails.a ... n+ES%2D175

cheers .
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Ritchie!!

What are you doing to me LOL

That is an excellent price though

Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I think EVH claims to have played one in his formative years as well.
Hey Paul that reminds me of something,

i have no idea where i read this (probably guitarist magazine), but i remember reading that Mr.EVH did indeed play an ES-335. In fact it was his no.1 guitar for gigs in the early club scene days of Van Halen.

Apparently the band convinced him to use something else because the ES-335 did not have the right image for a rock band.

Rob
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Here is a pic of EVH from the early 1980's with a collection of guitars , his 335 is on the floor in front of him .
Last edited by Ritchie on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rice_pudding wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I think EVH claims to have played one in his formative years as well.
Hey Paul that reminds me of something,

i have no idea where i read this (probably guitarist magazine), but i remember reading that Mr.EVH did indeed play an ES-335. In fact it was his no.1 guitar for gigs in the early club scene days of Van Halen.

Apparently the band convinced him to use something else because the ES-335 did not have the right image for a rock band.

Rob
He said it made him look like Roy Orbison! I think that was in Guitar Player magazine around the time Women and Children First was released.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Hmmmm that's strange , the pic i posted yesterday has gone ???