Guitar Strap Locks

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stewie
Mass Poster

Guitar Strap Locks

Post by Stewie »

Hey everybody, long time since I posted on this forum but I still read the topics every week...

I began to wonder if I should put strap locks on my gibson les paul... My strap has failed on me 3 times in a year but I caught my guitar every time. I searched on thomann (online musicstore: http://www.thomann.de/be/accessories_fo ... traps.html) and there are so many different strap locks available. (I read alot of good things about schaller strap locks)

So my question is; do you got any and which type do you recommend?

BTW: if I install strap lock systems on my gibson, will it still fit in my guitar case? (these pins seem large :? )
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The Schallers are good, I've used those in the past on a Les Paul. The part in the center of the above photo is all that attaches to your guitar, so it should have no problem fitting in the case. The 'big' parts are on the strap itself... I agree they look big, but they aren't really too big.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dino

Post by Dino »

I have Schaller strap locks on all of my guitars (with the exception of my EVH replicas, which have eyelet hooks).

The Schallers are THE BEST locking system (in my opinion).
I've been using them since the 80's, and no, they don't stick out or prevent your guitar from fitting in your case. The strap pins are the same size as the "stock" strap pins and the actual locking mechanism is fitted on the strap itself. A very clever and functional design. ;)
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Schallers.

Had Dunlops, but they are a pain in the arse to disconnect when they become "used".

Fit them and don't worry. All mine have them fitted and it's great insurance.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Thanks guys, I wasn't so sure about the size of these things but it would rather be stupid if your guitar didn't fit in your case after you installed some locks héhé.

I'm going to order a pack of gold ones with a new strap: the No.1 Stretch Guitar Strap

This is the strap that Buckethead uses and its only €9,8 (US PRICE: 39.99$!!!!). I read a lot of good things about it; it divides the weight of your guitar on your back so the weight is not on one spot... ( http://www.amazon.com/No-1-Stretch-Guit ... B001N0R4UA)

GAS :D!
moparman64

Post by moparman64 »

I have Schaller's on my LP (It came with them) but I'm going to switch to Dunlops which I believe are far supierior, and they're on all my other guitars. But, I believe that you should use strap locks no matter what brand so you dont drop your baby lol
2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony w/gold hardware and emg 81/85 pickup set
2001 Squier Strat Artic White w/ Seymour Duncans
2008 Squier P Bass Red
2009 Epiphone Les Paul Jr Vintage Sunburst
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I don't use straplocks but i have always heard good things about Schallers, they don't seem especialy intrusive either as far as mods go.

I must be lucky or something, i've never had a guitar come off a strap, although my acoustic scares the shit out of me.

Rob
moparman64

Post by moparman64 »

rice_pudding wrote:I don't use straplocks but i have always heard good things about Schallers, they don't seem especialy intrusive either as far as mods go.

I must be lucky or something, i've never had a guitar come off a strap, although my acoustic scares the shit out of me.

Rob
I had a Fender Jazz Bass that came loose and I almost dropped it playing live, thats when I started using them. All the straplocks ive seen just replace the strap buttons and i use the original screws so no drilling etc....
2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony w/gold hardware and emg 81/85 pickup set
2001 Squier Strat Artic White w/ Seymour Duncans
2008 Squier P Bass Red
2009 Epiphone Les Paul Jr Vintage Sunburst