the best distortion

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Randy Rhoads Addict

Post by Randy Rhoads Addict »

I love MXR + ..
I love Randy Rhoads
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

i'm partial to the SD-1 or the OD-1 ;)

possibly the DOD 250 as well :D
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Stiltzkin wrote:i'm partial to the SD-1 or the OD-1 ;)

possibly the DOD 250 as well :D
I think Randy once tried a OD-1. (will start a topic about it later)

My favorite, although it's not a distortion, is the MXR wylde overdrive. I like it because it's very transparant. I never liked the mxr dist+ (reissue) much.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I know Jake was/is an OD-1(jap model) user and Zakks a SD-1 user.

to get my tone ;) I usually have an OD-pedal crank level to full
and gain to nothing ... or maybe a little ;)

gives you a nice crunchy feel :D
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

deansolo wrote:Best Distortion?.....That's easy! Cat's-Eye MUTHA' FUZZ Distortion.

As used by: Jake E Lee, John 5, Tracii Guns, Joe Becker, etc,..etc.,,

Based on the same circuit as the 70's vintage Distortion+. We made it more versatile and more musical. Many players have said it's like a cross between a Dist.+ (at higher gain settings) and a Tubescreamer (at lower gain settings). I just think it rocks! :D

http://www.cats-eyeesp.com/cats-eye_ele ... ts_005.htm

Note: Please understand I'm not here to pimp my business. I'm here for the same reasons as everyone...my admiration for RR. I just thought I'd chime in when the question came up. I get excited..that's all. :)
I might start saving up for one of them soon, the way everyone talks about them they really must rock. My amp (line 6) has pretty awful gain so I was wondering what your pedal is like on its own? Has it got enough gain for very 80's metal? I love the sound I can get from the Boss ds-1 but there isn't enough gain however someone said that your Mutha' Fuzz is like a ds-1. Has it got more gain?
JohnELee

Post by JohnELee »

My favorite overdrive is the MXR Zakk. Distortion without overdrive is the Digitech Metal Master or the Metal Zone. Distortion with overdrive is Digitech Distorion Factory.
"Hahaha, you don't see rockstars with straight A's in high school and such," says johnthebrucelee. "Actually, that only goes to show that playin' guitar ain't rocket science," Deansolo remarked. ;)
BStanek

Post by BStanek »

I really like my Boss metal zone
Barneylovesbeagle

Post by Barneylovesbeagle »

Really guys just turn the volume up REALLY high past 11 Randy always was past 11! Seriously the amp has to be crackling to get that RR sound

The Pickups are a huge huge part I don't care what wood the guitar is thats bull... you need a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Duncan Distortion in the Bridge

plug in to a tube amp and turn it up with and pedal, Ibanez Tube Screamer works well too.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Barneylovesbeagle wrote:Really guys just turn the volume up REALLY high past 11 Randy always was past 11! Seriously the amp has to be crackling to get that RR sound
So what do you suggest for people who live in the real world and cannot always play at full volume?

Barneylovesbeagle wrote:I don't care what wood the guitar is thats bull...
The wood is the MOST important aspect in determining the tone of the guitar. Randy's #1 guitar that everyone bases his best tone on was his Les Paul custom which is made of mahogany with a maple top. A guitar made of any other wood will need a lot of adjustment through the amp to compensate for the wood.

Shortly before he died Randy was really into his Les Paul "Black Beauty" Custom which has a mahogany body and top and produces a creamier tone than the maple top Les Paul's which have a bit more bite.

My Les Paul has a mahogany body, top and neck (as opposed to the maple neck on Zakk's Les Paul's) and has wonderful sustain and warmth. I can get close to Randy's tone with that guitar stock, the dirty channel on my Fender Frontman amp and an MXR 10 band EQ.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

RockyRhoads wrote:
Barneylovesbeagle wrote:Really guys just turn the volume up REALLY high past 11 Randy always was past 11! Seriously the amp has to be crackling to get that RR sound
So what do you suggest for people who live in the real world and cannot always play at full volume?
A power attenuator would allow you to get that tone at quieter volumes.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Ell wrote:
RockyRhoads wrote:
A power attenuator would allow you to get that tone at quieter volumes.
A distortion pedal would allow that tone at a quieter volume, that's the reason they were created in the first place.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

RockyRhoads wrote:The wood is the MOST important aspect in determining the tone of the guitar.
Watch this from 3:00 to 3:31. The wood makes much more difference than the electronics.
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

I have a digitech Metal Master Distortion. It is okay. It can be pretty mellow distortion to full on Crazy distortion. I like my Wylde Overdrive pedal better, even though it is not really a distortion pedal. I guess it all depends on what you like. :D
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
fenixdoido

Post by fenixdoido »

I use the distortion of BOSS me-8, and it's very near of RR sound.
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

a good distortion pedal is Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone