the best distortion

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

blackcat

the best distortion

Post by blackcat »

what is the best device?? i just got a dist.+ of MXR, which claims to be the one randy uses
dont mess with the black cat
Supernaut
Madman

Post by Supernaut »

It all depends on what you prefer.
[img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6482/randysig2text2ho.png[/img]
Wind is high, so am I, as the shore sinks in the distance
Stiltzkin

Re: the best distortion

Post by Stiltzkin »

blackcat wrote:what is the best device?? i just got a dist.+ of MXR, which claims to be the one randy uses
Supernaut wrote:It all depends on what you prefer.
that's true.
a MXR+ will get you closer to Randy's sound, but not perfect.
You need a whole lot of other gear on top of that ;)

it also has very much to do with the amp.
do you play a tubeamp or a solidstate ?!
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

man, a solidstate, i cant afford a great tube yet, not for now... has anyone have any clue to the exact gear RR uses in live, and studio, or wherever...thx
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

blackcat wrote:man, a solidstate, i cant afford a great tube yet, not for now... has anyone have any clue to the exact gear RR uses in live, and studio, or wherever...thx
http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.tammilehto/rreq.htm

http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.tammilehto/rrtone.htm

Lot of good info there.

I wouldn't use a dist+ reissue if you want to boost a tube Marshall. I heard the older model Randy used (without a LED) was more like an overdrive than a distortion. A better subsitute would be the mxr Wylde overdrive. A very good transparant pedal. Just my 0,2 cents.
If you keep your amp clean then I wouldn't use either of them, because they don't have enough gain alone then. Check out for a Tonebone or Metalzone then.
The Metalzone is pretty much a hate/love pedal. But I have used one for some years and never got complaints. But the only thing that sounds like a Marshall on 10, is a Marshall on 10! 8)
So the Metalzone is out now! :lol:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

I honestly can't answer this but, I can tell you one thing. SUPERNAUT listen up!!!! YOU CAN KICK SOME SERIOUS ASS ON A BASS WITH AN OLD SCHOOL RAT DISTORTION BOX!!!!!
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

on a bass?? cool!.... umm, i just got the mxr, and some one in this thread said that the vintage is more like an overdrive.... this reissue is more of an overdrive too,... err, it actually is an overdrive, just named distortion! about that link of clean boost... is it supposed to be NO distortion, full volume, and overdrive turned on on your amp, or what?? thx
The Flying Dutchman

blackcat wrote:on a bass?? cool!.... umm, i just got the mxr, and some one in this thread said that the vintage is more like an overdrive.... this reissue is more of an overdrive too,... err, it actually is an overdrive, just named distortion! about that link of clean boost... is it supposed to be NO distortion, full volume, and overdrive turned on on your amp, or what?? thx
Full volume first and zero distortion first, then slowley dial in the amount of distortion till you got the sound you like. That's for cleanboost then.

Something I found at Plexi Palace:
I read at A friend of mine had backstage all access for an Ozzy show in Florida back in the day...
He watched the show from the side of the stage and got to walk out on the stage when the show was over when they were packing up...
Randy had a regular MXR D+, two knob version..
He had the LEVEL knob permently cranked ...and then was using the DISTORTION knob to control the signal into the amp...He used the MXR rubber knob fitting over the DISTORTION knob so he could adjust it with his foot... SO basically he was using it more for a boost ...The amps were the mid 70's heads with two input jacks and had the rocker on-off switch...
see What do you think of the old MXR Distortion Plus?

btw. Do you like the sound of the dist+ ?
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Best Distortion?.....That's easy! Cat's-Eye MUTHA' FUZZ Distortion.

As used by: Jake E Lee, John 5, Tracii Guns, Joe Becker, etc,..etc.,,

Based on the same circuit as the 70's vintage Distortion+. We made it more versatile and more musical. Many players have said it's like a cross between a Dist.+ (at higher gain settings) and a Tubescreamer (at lower gain settings). I just think it rocks! :D

http://www.cats-eyeesp.com/cats-eye_ele ... ts_005.htm

Note: Please understand I'm not here to pimp my business. I'm here for the same reasons as everyone...my admiration for RR. I just thought I'd chime in when the question came up. I get excited..that's all. :)
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
The Flying Dutchman

deansolo wrote:Best Distortion?.....That's easy! Cat's-Eye MUTHA' FUZZ Distortion.

Based on the same circuit as the 70's vintage Distortion+. We made it more versatile and more musical. Many players have said it's like a cross between a Dist.+ (at higher gain settings) and a Tubescreamer (at lower gain settings). I just think it rocks! :D

Note: Please understand I'm not here to pimp my business. I'm here for the same reasons as everyone...my admiration for RR. I just thought I'd chime in when the question came up. I get excited..that's all. :)
Interesting stuff you got there! Your pedal looks very much old style. (Boss OD1, MXR dist+ )
Does it work well with a Superlead at 10? (for clean boost)

Can you maybe tell how the old mxr dist+ (without a LED) sounded like?
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Flying Dutchman wrote:
deansolo wrote:Best Distortion?.....That's easy! Cat's-Eye MUTHA' FUZZ Distortion.

Interesting stuff you got there! Your pedal looks very much old style. (Boss OD1, MXR dist+ )

Yeah they do look "Old Style".. We made them look that way on purpose. :D

We prototyped it with a 1968 Superlead 100 watt head and 4x12 cab with greenbacks, a Blackface Fender Twin, and a Matchless 30 watt combo. It's a very versatile distortion pedal and sounds great as a clean boost or as your "core distortion sound".

The vintage MXR Distortion+, the DOD Overdrive 250 and the ROSS Distortion all used basically the same circuit, with slight component variations. The reason MXR called it a distortion "plus" was because it's more than a distortion and gets really close to being an overdrive. It had "harsher" distortion than the DOD 250, but not as harsh as the ROSS.

The Mutha Fuzz on the other hand is more musical...by that I mean we smoothed out the distortion at lower gain settings and added a different EQ curve as you add distortion (thats why the control knob says 'effect' rather than gain), making the distortion more "rounded" and more versatile. It still has the same amount of gain as the Dist.+ only not as harsh. That's why some guys say it's like a cross between a distortion + and a tubescreamer. :)
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

www.cats-eyeesp.com
The Flying Dutchman

deansolo wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote: Interesting stuff you got there! Your pedal looks very much old style. (Boss OD1, MXR dist+ )

We prototyped it with a 1968 Superlead 100 watt head and 4x12 cab with greenbacks, a Blackface Fender Twin, and a Matchless 30 watt combo. It's a very versatile distortion pedal and sounds great as a clean boost or as your "core distortion sound".

The vintage MXR Distortion+, the DOD Overdrive 250 and the ROSS Distortion all used basically the same circuit, with slight component variations. The reason MXR called it a distortion "plus" was because it's more than a distortion and gets really close to being an overdrive. It had "harsher" distortion than the DOD 250, but not as harsh as the ROSS.

The Mutha Fuzz on the other hand is more musical...by that I mean we smoothed out the distortion at lower gain settings and added a different EQ curve as you add distortion (thats why the control knob says 'effect' rather than gain), making the distortion more "rounded" and more versatile. It still has the same amount of gain as the Dist.+ only not as harsh. That's why some guys say it's like a cross between a distortion + and a tubescreamer. :)
How does the EQ curve changes when adding distortion? (more/less mids then?)

Those guys who say it's a cross between a distortion+ and a tubescreamer. Are they talking about the old distortion+ then or the reissue? (thnx)
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Flying Dutchman wrote:
deansolo wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote: Interesting stuff you got there! Your pedal looks very much old style. (Boss OD1, MXR dist+ )

How does the EQ curve changes when adding distortion? (more/less mids then?)

Those guys who say it's a cross between a distortion+ and a tubescreamer. Are they talking about the old distortion+ then or the reissue? (thnx)
Yes, as you add distortion the effect becomes "brighter". I don't mean more mids....It does not have a big mid "hump"... it just becomes brighter. Almost like adding "presence".

And yes they are refering to the old Distortion +. :)

www.cats-eyeesp.com
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

im not sure why dist+ is is called that, but i had a thought about it, i think its because when it was first made, as one of the only distortion pedals at that time, it was simply an overdrive, but dubbed distortion because it was one of the only ways of getting a "distorted" sound, one of the most important parts in the guitar's history.
and now people can debate on how its called distortion, but really an overdrive because there is a diversity of distortion and overdrive pedals in todays technology

i hope it made some sense.... but, im not even old enough to actually have the original version and judge it for myself.. its just my 'logics'
i dont really care about being right, i wont stick to wat i think if someone proves me wrong, if there was an actual reason for it being called dist+ in this thread, im sorry to have missed it...... but this is in my opinion
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I can't afford any really well known, brand new pedals so I can't really say anything about any vintage million pound pedals. But I have got a couple of different cheap distortion pedals.

The one I paid most for is a Behringer Ultra Metal UM100. It was £20 or something. It has a lot of gain and all but also the feedback is through the roof, even with the gain turned down. I don't know if mine is broken or not but it sounds really dumb now, I can't remember it ever sounding this stupid but anyway, avoid them.

I've got a second hand Boss DS-1 which I paid £10 for as well. I quite like it, sounds fairly good but there isn't enough gain. Cool if you put another pedal with volume on 10 infront of it though.

The pedal that i'm most surprised with is a Danelectro T-Bone DJ-2 distortion. You really should try one out. It cost me £10 or something but the sound is really good. It's really worth the money, no tone settings on it though but I change that on the amp anyway, I prefur not having that on the pedal.

If anyone is looking for a new distortion though I think you should just try out a Danelectro T-Bone, there's enough gain for my liking and no feedback at all (I haven't gone all the way up with my amps volume with it yet, so far so good though).