I think I'm finally gonna have a white SG!!

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NicDots
Mass Poster

I think I'm finally gonna have a white SG!!

Post by NicDots »

CLICK!

A place moderately close to where I live does refinishing! It's a little steep (less steep than GMW when they did refinishes however) but I think I'm going to send in my SG for a refinishing in "Olympic White." 8)
For the few of you that know me pretty well know that I've always dreamed of having a white SG...this is my chance! This is going to happen within the next 2-3 months.

AGH! I am excited! :D
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Nicole

Congratulations on the make over plan!
White with gold or silver harware?

Mattx
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Nic What colour is your SG now ? any chance of seeing your guitar before it goes for a makeover. Like a before and after session on a supermodel who's put on a few pounds and needing botox injections LOL!!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

It's just a regular ol' wine red SG special. I've had guitars that cost a LOT more money, but nothing beats this SG. I feel that it was made especially for me. I thought about selling it, and using the money I'd get for it to supplant part of the cost of a Reissue white SG but I just couldn't bear to do it! It's like my child. :( I'd rather just paint the one I have, you know?

Before I send it it, I will do some close up "before shots" and when I get it back, I'll do some close up "after shots." 8)

And Dweebs, I am thinking about going for nickel. I looked on musiciansfriend.com and they didn't even HAVE silver hardware. Nickel and gold yes, and they also have the ugly tuning heads that I already have. I think nickel will contrast better with my paint job. Then again, if the paint base is nitrocellulose (the standard Gibson paint base), I might go for gold as the nitrocellulose causes the white to yellow (ie Randy's Les Paul). White white or yellow white is fine for me either way. I suppose I'll need to ask before I send it in.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

very cool... and brave! :o 8)

white sg's are fine looking instruments, actualy they're borderline iresistable.

I keep considering the reffinish option but i cant bring myself to do it mainly because of the cost :? but we'll see...

hope it turns out nice!

Rob
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Nicole, I'm so happy for you, FINALLY!!!
Dino

Post by Dino »

I dunno bro ... $375 sounds pretty steep to me.
Not to mention the fact that YOU have to remove all the hardware, reinstall all the hardware, rewire all the electronics and set it up!

Nitro not only yellows, but it's also notorious for cracking and checking over time. Cool if that's what you're going for, but for that kind of cash, you should at least know what you're getting. :wink:
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Nah, they said they'd install/reinstall it all for me.
375 is MUCH cheaper than the close to 700 that GMW wanted. :shock:
Dino

Post by Dino »

NicDots wrote:Nah, they said they'd install/reinstall it all for me.
375 is MUCH cheaper than the close to 700 that GMW wanted. :shock:
Just going by what's on their website ...
If in fact disassembly, reassembly, rewiring, and a good setup is included in the price of the refin, than I would say $375 is a good price.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

According to their site's FAQ section, they charge only to put it back together. :lol: They don't charge to take it apart though.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Maybe it's just me, but anyone who has played for awhile should be capable of doing a good setup on their own guitar. Taking the thing apart is pretty simple, as is reassembly, with the exception of soldering the pickups back in - and even that can be done simply if you take the time to learn how.

I think $375 is a reasonable price. I'm repainting my Charvel on my own, just to see how it'd look. If I like the result, I may have to follow your lead and have it professionally painted.
Dino

Post by Dino »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Maybe it's just me, but anyone who has played for awhile should be capable of doing a good setup on their own guitar. Taking the thing apart is pretty simple, as is reassembly, with the exception of soldering the pickups back in - and even that can be done simply if you take the time to learn how.
Being "capable" really isn't the issue ...
It's the fact that the $375 paintjob as stated on their website does NOT include disassembly, reassembly, rewiring, setup, etc ...

I was simply pointing this out to NicDots in the event that his $375 paintjob suddenly became a $500 or $600 paintjob.

I paint alot of guitars and very few people even question things like disassembly, reassembly, rewiring, and setups.

Besides, just because you've played guitar for a long time doesn't necessarily mean you know anything about disassembly, reassembly, rewiring, setups, ect ...

I know ALOT of monster players who know very little about the actual mechanics of their instrument, nor do they really care to learn.

All depends on the individual.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

The price aside, I don't have a lot of choices. I have searched for years for a place to paint my guitar (ie, I don't wanna give it to some pot head who'll paint it for me in his garage...that is a scary idea to me). GMW was one place, but they stopped doing it once I had gathered the 600-700 dollars they wanted for a simple white paint job. I want to have a place somewhere in my home state, within 50 miles of where I live to do it. I don't want to ship my un-assembled guitar somewhere. Other places, out of state places, were an option for about 2 seconds, but a lot of places required to take it all apart, which I couldn't do seeing as I didn't have a guitar tech sort of guy to do it for me (I do now). $375 isn't a bad price, even with the re-assembling fees tacked on. Nice things cost money. A normal white SG from the Gibson factory would cost a lot more than what my SG now is worth plus this paint job, I am sure of it.

I will enquire with Wilkins and then my guitar tech to see how much it would cost to re-assemble the guitar obviously.

I think set up and re-assembly are different, aren't they? Isn't set up like action, etc? If that's the case, I can set up my own guitar. It's not really rocket science really. I set up my SG when I first got it, no problem. But re-wiring and all that stuff? No clue. :lol: I have an ex of mine do all that for me....fixing my amps, fixing my pick ups, cleaning my volume pots. God knows I can't do it.
I remember back when I posted at .tk maybe 3 or 4 years ago, I started a thread about getting my guitar painted and people were like "just do it yourself!"
Ok, that's like asking me to give myself my own root canal surgery. :lol: I just don't trust myself. If I fucked up my SG, I'd never forgive myself.
Dino

Post by Dino »

NicDots wrote:The price aside, I don't have a lot of choices. I have searched for years for a place to paint my guitar (ie, I don't wanna give it to some pot head who'll paint it for me in his garage...that is a scary idea to me). GMW was one place, but they stopped doing it once I had gathered the 600-700 dollars they wanted for a simple white paint job. I want to have a place somewhere in my home state, within 50 miles of where I live to do it. I don't want to ship my un-assembled guitar somewhere. Other places, out of state places, were an option for about 2 seconds, but a lot of places required to take it all apart, which I couldn't do seeing as I didn't have a guitar tech sort of guy to do it for me (I do now). $375 isn't a bad price, even with the re-assembling fees tacked on. Nice things cost money. A normal white SG from the Gibson factory would cost a lot more than what my SG now is worth plus this paint job, I am sure of it.

I will enquire with Wilkins and then my guitar tech to see how much it would cost to re-assemble the guitar obviously.

I think set up and re-assembly are different, aren't they? Isn't set up like action, etc? If that's the case, I can set up my own guitar. It's not really rocket science really. I set up my SG when I first got it, no problem. But re-wiring and all that stuff? No clue. :lol: I have an ex of mine do all that for me....fixing my amps, fixing my pick ups, cleaning my volume pots. God knows I can't do it.
I remember back when I posted at .tk maybe 3 or 4 years ago, I started a thread about getting my guitar painted and people were like "just do it yourself!"
Ok, that's like asking me to give myself my own root canal surgery. :lol: I just don't trust myself. If I fucked up my SG, I'd never forgive myself.
Wise choice to have it done professionally.
Most folks who say "just do it yourself" know very little of what's involved in a professional refin.

It's very easy to be a "pro" on the internet. :roll:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I am someone who is very poor at DIY. I am okay with adjusting the action on my electrics and have had done a couple of things that went okay but most things I take it to a guy who knows what he is doing.

Nicole, The way I see it even if it did cost say $700, then so what :)

Money is for enjoying if you have earned it.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt