My first product- RR pedal

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I just wanted to say that I have seen a picture of one a lot closer and it looks fantastic :D, if Pete is alright with it, I can post the picture and everyone can see, it is a beautiful looking pedal :D I am looking forward to it :D
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Cheers Joe.

Thanks for the comments.

Your Deluxe should be with you on Monday/Tuesday next week and, from the tests, the switch between diodes gives it two different natures....Having said that, you can decide that when it arrives....

Take it easy.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

What diodes are they switching between .. 1n914 and 1n4001 ? or 1n914 and 1n34a Germaniums ?

Cheers
................................................................Image...............................................................................
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Hey Ritchie,

Now that'd be giving the game away wouldn't it.........

:D
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

It's ok .. no biggie , i'm just interested in stuff like that .
................................................................Image...............................................................................
OffTheScales

Post by OffTheScales »

I am pretty sure this is Illegal.
When Randy Rhoads Died, I think A Piece Of Everyone In Town Died With Him...
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

OffTheScales wrote:I am pretty sure this is Illegal.
I've actually seen plenty of people selling pedals called names such as the SRV and the Vintage 808 etc... They are all hand made attempts at trying to replicate a sound 8) :P :wink:
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

If the name ' Randy Rhoads ' or Randys image is used in any of the advertising , marketing or on the item itself , you would receive a ' Cease and Desist ' order if you were lucky .
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Simply put, the pedal is called the RRT-1 and/or the RRT-1 Deluxe. There is no use of the Rhoads family name or Randy's image in there.
As for style, you can't copyright a pattern as it is not the a unique reference, nor is the symbolism associated with any part. Neither of them is unique; if they were, you wouldn't be able to buy anything labelled or patterned unless it was from a single, or licenced, supplier.
As stated, the pedal is not a copy (he didn't own one) and it is intended to replicate a certain type of sound; again as the courts will testify, something that cannot be licenced- Harley Davidson tried that one....
In terms of intention, I love the "after hours" tone and wanted to try to reproduce that as close as possible. The pedal may, or may not do it for you. If not, keep looking.
OffTheScales

Post by OffTheScales »

Well It won't let me buy it on your site. I thought it was Illegal because you have the RR sign on the pedal and that is using RR's image.
When Randy Rhoads Died, I think A Piece Of Everyone In Town Died With Him...
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Cheers Offthescales.

The RR logo is based around another "vehicle" manufacturers logo anyway, so that, if any, is a contentious representation as well.

As for the site, if you're interested, just send an e-mail using the links on our contact page and we'll organise things from there. Payment is by Paypal (preferably) as it is secure for both parties. We are only a tiny business, so we can cater for any supplementary requests (ask Skezza). In addition, just wait until Skezza gets his on Tuesday/Wednesday then he can post and let you all know if it is any good (said he is going to post some decent sound clips as well within the next couple of weeks).

Cheers.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

OffTheScales wrote:I thought it was Illegal because you have the RR sign on the pedal and that is using RR's image.
Where do you think Randy got that logo from?

:wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Cheers Dutchman :D

Just what I was trying to get across.

There is as much affiliation with colours, shapes, styles, sounds, expressions and fonts as there is using Les Pauls, Strats and/or Marshalls.

My pedal is a tribute to a great person. His symbolism and playing was not unique (just like Zakks bullseye, camo, rebel, playing; Jakes white strat etc.... or anyone elses use of existing colours/shapes), but the "whole" picture was what made him a great role-model to guitarists.

The pedal aims to help get a particular sound. None of us (unless you are a clone) will ever play like him. His physiology had a profound effect on his tone anyway, but we can make an attempt.

:wink:
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Hey Pete,
theres another one :P Jake E Lee signature pedal :D haha ? Funnily enough, I know Dean was going to get one going but I'm not sure if it took off :(
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Hey Skezza,

Sorry; can't reproduce a complete studio set up and overblown production in one pedal.....Ouch... :D

Jake is a great guitarist, but the eighties joy of overproducing everything made a mockery of his actual sound and covered his abilities. Shame really as he was a superb blues player as well (see Badlands).