My first product- RR pedal

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

ptate
Cool Member

My first product- RR pedal

Post by ptate »

I don't know whether I can do this here; but it definitely seems the right place to "premier" my first product. A genuine tribute to Randy's tone:

www.pnpmusic.co.uk

If it isn't acceptable to place this post; please accept my apologies and feel free to withdraw the message.

Take it easy.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

question 1: how is it different from the MXR's ?
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Thanks Stiltskin.

We tried to make it a bit more user friendly and allow for a greater range of frequencies, so it can (hopefully) reproduce a wider range of distortions. Each pedal is genuinely hand built. The PCB's are drawn then etched/checked. It is just a two-man operation at present, so I can test/check each unit before it is sent out.

The pedal seems to go from a mild bite to a full on fuzz and can act as a boost with just the output stage wound up. I have a collection of pedals, but this seems to fatten the mids/highs without adding more bass, something the others don't appear to do (maybe it's just my set up).

The pedal works for me, but that's just my opinion. Personally, I use it to try and emulate the "After Hours" tone (just like the clarity).

Of the two of us who are actually producing the thing, I'm the thick one who knows very little about the electronics. My partner is the genius in this respect.

I intend to post some sound clips on the site so everyone can hear my awful cacophony and judge the different types of noise. So I'll post more when it's added.

PM me if you want to know some more.

Cheers.
Dino

Post by Dino »

Since you're calling it an "RR Distortion Pedal", may I suggest painting it up with polka dots?

Hey, it worked for Evh! :P
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Dino wrote:Since you're calling it an "RR Distortion Pedal", may I suggest painting it up with polka dots?
did you even check the link ? :lol:
Dino

Post by Dino »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Dino wrote:Since you're calling it an "RR Distortion Pedal", may I suggest painting it up with polka dots?
did you even check the link ? :lol:
Honestly, no. :oops:
I have no use for a distortion pedal.
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Shame on you Dino....... :roll: :lol:

Well, the sound clips of the RR1 distortion pedal should be posted on my website tomorrow evening as MP3 files:

www.pnpmusic.co.uk

Sorry about the ridiculously poor playing (it really is sh*t...!!), but all I used was my LP Custom, into the pedal then recorded with the basic Microsoft XP audio package (in the start menu). You forget how bad you playing can be without a band and amp...!!
However, I didn't want to use any amps, effects or other means of changing the signal as it wouldn't be representative of the pedals tone.

There are five clips of the pedal distortion at various levels and one of a sound bite on full tilt (sorry, sorry, sorry for destroying an amazing song!).

Don't know whether I should ask for comments :shock: :oops:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

How much $$ for one of these babys?
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Paul,

We have the standard pedal up for £45 (UK), so whatever the standard conversion rate is between £-$. There is the option to pay via paypal which will work it all out anyway. I'll try to get some postage costs for the US as the rate is UK only at present.

Send me a mail via the website link and I'll send you some details.

Cheers.
Dino

Post by Dino »

ptate wrote:Shame on you Dino....... :roll: :lol:
Sorry ... I meant no disrespect.
I run a hi-gain 5150 through (2) Marshall A/B cabinets and I'm pretty happy just using the gain from the amp.

But now that I think about it ... RR did have sort of a "buzz" tone (IMO) so maybe with the help of your pedal, I can nail that same tone. :)
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

No problem Dino. 8) :D

Nice head and cab's. I use an original JCM800 through a Celestion loaded cab and the pedal. Pre-amp is driven hard with the pedal adding the extra depth and clarity I wanted (think Crowley/Over the Mountain/Crazy Train tone).

The sound clips are on the "Products" page for the RRT1 pedal; it just says "Sounds", but just remember that they are not being driven through any amp at all; the tone you hear is just the pedal and guitar. The last one is the highest gain just using the distortion knob alone. It goes higher with the output full on as well.

See what you think.

If you're interested, send me an e-mail to the contact address on the site.
zachrockafellow

Post by zachrockafellow »

This looks pretty cool! What do you think you're gonna make next?
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Cheers Zach.

We're currently constructing a harmony generator that allows the signal to be split, then duplicated, with one side changed into the 3rds/5ths and upto 3 octaves, all at the same time. Bit like a chorus pedal/octaver on steroids.

In addition, there may be a standard octaver pedal added to the range at some point.

Any ideas would be welcome. One of the good things is that, as a small startup business, we can change to suit.
zachrockafellow

Post by zachrockafellow »

Nice! You should put together some kind of supercircuit that can change a guitar sound into a keyboard sound! I'm sure this has probably been invented somewhere before, but I haven't ever seen it pulled off effectively.
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Cheers Zach.

Might be interesting that one.

Depends what keyboard sound people want to hear. I can make something that produces an "electronic" sounding signal, but that may not be what people want. In addition, the market is flooded with midi interfaces and keyboards/recording packages that support the same. In the 80's there were guitar manufacturers who made instruments that mimicked keyboards (and vice versa), but they didn't sell particularly well.

However, a small pedal that can produce an "electronic signal" might be worth investigating (the harmony generator seems to do something like that).

Cheers for your feedback.