PDV Tremollo

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

WHAT !!! i'm talking about GUITAR knobs TUT TUT!!! what you's like. Grow up please :lol:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

NicDots wrote:Oh Shaun, whatever do you mean? Can you explain it to me please? :D IN DETAIL?
edited incase Matt's mum read it

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Nifareus

Post by Nifareus »

His trems were charvel style tremolos stock on all charvel guitars being made at the time. This is evident by the unique metal tip at the end of the straight trem arm. Pretty much the same thing as a fender but with brass.
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Why isn't anyone mentioning some solutions to keep a vintage strat trem in tune?
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Nifareus

Post by Nifareus »

LordThurisaz wrote:Why isn't anyone mentioning some solutions to keep a vintage strat trem in tune?
I don't think it was mentioned in this thread at all but....
remove string trees, any part on the guitar where the string will catch will knock it out of tune.
Make sure the nut is loose and not pinching the strings, graphite in the nut slots.
Remove four inner screws so the trem pivots on two outter screws only.
Flush mount the trem so you can only lower the pitch .

These are some common tricks to keep the trem from killing your tunings.
Dino

Post by Dino »

Nifareus wrote:
LordThurisaz wrote:Why isn't anyone mentioning some solutions to keep a vintage strat trem in tune?
I don't think it was mentioned in this thread at all but....
remove string trees, any part on the guitar where the string will catch will knock it out of tune.
Make sure the nut is loose and not pinching the strings, graphite in the nut slots.
Remove four inner screws so the trem pivots on two outter screws only.
Flush mount the trem so you can only lower the pitch .

These are some common tricks to keep the trem from killing your tunings.
I agree with all but "remove string trees".
They're not there for decoration ... they serve a purpose.
A better solution IMO would be to replace them with graphite or roller trees.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

I firmly believe that if you're wanting to do the whole dive bomb and all that excessive wankery .. just go buy a pointy guitar with a Floyd or whatever , a well adjusted standard trem with all the screws and associated hardware works just fine for legato bends etc ..
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Dino

Post by Dino »

Ritchie wrote:I firmly believe that if you're wanting to do the whole dive bomb and all that excessive wankery .. just go buy a pointy guitar with a Floyd or whatever , a well adjusted standard trem with all the screws and associated hardware works just fine for legato bends etc ..
A PDV is a "pointy guitar". :P
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Haha yes i know it is , i mean go buy one with a locking system already installed ;-)
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

and besides somebody was mentioning about removing string trees a PDV dose'nt have them anyhow
Dino

Post by Dino »

Ritchie wrote:and besides somebody was mentioning about removing string trees a PDV dose'nt have them anyhow
I think they were just responding to the question regarding V-trems in general. :wink:

Some manufactures don't use string trees, but those that do, do so for a reason (he he ... I said do do :lol: )

For instance, strats need those trees to provide a downward angle for the strings coming off the nut. You could compensate by using "staggered" tuners, but generally speaking, they do serve a purpose as do the retainer bars that come with the Floyd Rose.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Was that post for my benefit or just general info ?
Nifareus

Post by Nifareus »

Ritchie wrote:Was that post for my benefit or just general info ?
My posts were towards lordthurisaz question.

I was regarding tricks as something you can do without having to put any money into it, string trees are a source of friction and a cause of knocking your tuning out. They are there for a reason, but if you're trying to modify an existing guitar to be able to abuse the trem a bit more it is within the realm of possibility.
Dino

Post by Dino »

Ritchie wrote:Was that post for my benefit or just general info ?
Do you take personal offense to information posted on this forum or are you just having a bad day?
Seriously ... I don't get it. :?
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Well you see dino you had quoted me in 4 replies above , so i was wondering if you were replying to me .. that's all . It seemed a slightly smart ass pompous reply , was that your intention ? and as far as taking personal offense to information posted on this forum .. i gotta say dude .. shit , ya got me there .. i have no clue what the hell made you say that ..